Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2007, 02:15 AM   #15
Administrator Emeritus

I'd "buy" into the "didn't buy it there" argument Dirk,save for the fact that I DID buy my Essex there and pretty much used them exclusively for service...
I'd also been instrumental in recommending them to others which has led to the sale of two other coaches.

Dealers sell coaches,service after the sale and parts...As customers we have the right to assess which dealers do that the best.
All I've tried to do is use this topic to share my experiences with one dealer with the hopes I can prevent someone else from stopping there and being subjected to the same treatment.

Speaking of screen doors, there's as much a chance of a screen door in a submarine as there is me ordering parts from Howard again...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2007, 02:19 AM   #16
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Agreed that you spent a lot of money there and spoke highly of them.

However, there is no excuse for the recent treatment you received and the lack of corrective action by the owner.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:46 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
I think that it is important to remember that Bob is generally quite gracious with people he receives service from.

While I realize that in person, he is a jerk and doesn't smell all that good , I have personally seen him interact w/service people. I don't believe Bob expects too much and certainly doesn't ask about price.

I guess what I'm saying is that we aren't talking about a customer who flies off the handle all the time and complains about price. Bob has earned many kudos on this forum for his patience w/Newmar and service people. This makes the lack of service all that much more egregious.

So, I'll give Bob the benefit of the doubt on this one. Also, I wouldn't shop at Howard in the future. I would have before this incident based on Bob's recommendation.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:10 AM   #18

Bob, I've not commented on your issue with Howard's parts manager, I guess because I don't quite grip what exactly happened. I understand he would not contact Power Tech direct, but was going to go through Newmar. But, you instead called yourself, Newmar. I'm trying to see the difference, and I'm sure I'm missing something. I fully agree with Scott on your good nature and support to suppliers or dealers you have bought from.
So, in simple terms, where did this guy screw up?

Peter
Old 03-27-2007, 09:50 AM   #19
Administrator Emeritus

Peter, the whole incident reeks of laziness and disregard for helping the customer on the part of the parts manager...Having bought the Essex there and been around there off and on for service and such I guess I'm able to "see" more of what I base my statements on.
Telling me he had "no way" of looking up the part number for the London Aire headlight bezel when in fact all he need do is.....CALL NEWMAR.
I have even recanted my original opinion on him not calling Powertech after meeting with John Howard,as John Howard doesn't want his people dealing with outside warranty issues, choosing to make Newmar make the call....I'll buy that.
John Howard doesn't want the issue of dealing with that....works for me.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:37 AM   #20

Oh, okay Bob, I got it now. I was thinking it was all the Powertech issue not the bezel. Thanks for sorting it out for me.

Peter
Old 03-27-2007, 01:28 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Here's my not-so-reverent hypothesis of Howard's attitude towards his lazy parts manager:

The Parts Manager is either blackmailing Howard; or the guy is an in-law a bum that knows he can't be fired, thus has no consequences for his (in)actions.

Seriously, I believe a business should address these customer service issues quickly and firmly. If they don't, then they lose business - as shown with Bob's decision. I wonder how many other customers have made that same decision, because of that employee?
Awanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:01 PM   #22

Mid Atlantic Campers
The answer to that question Awanderlust is probably NONE, or VERY FEW. I'm certain that if Mr Howard had several complaints about him, and customers never returning to his shop again the Brother In Law would be gone, simple as that. On the other hand, is it possable that maybe Bob unwittinly did something to P-ss this guy off??? I know Bob does not hesitate from calling who ever it takes to solve a problem, no matter how trivial. Maybe he thinks Bob stepped around him once or twice. I don't know this for a fact but I wonder why this guy ignored Bob. Human dynamics is a strange animal. And I have no doubt that Mr Howard is in some way, shape, or form mad at Bob for not buying the LADB from him. IMHO

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:35 PM   #23
Administrator Emeritus

Steve....Howard RV is not eligible to sell the London Aire as there are only THREE dealers in the Country that sell it.
Ask Dick Parks,the CEO of Newmar what the question was that I asked him when we made the deal on the London Aire...I ASKED if he would make an exception and at least allow Howard to "write" the deal.
Your second point, that there must not be other complaints is also laughable,given the response from several of the service employees when I was chatting with them.
Seems a customer came in several weeks ago,ordered a replacement windshield...The service manager even has a copy of the information he gave the parts manager to order the windshield...The customer calls the other day and wonders where his windshield is and the parts manager denied ever talking to him, right up until the service manager showed him the note...
All I can say about Howard RV is that they're not being receptive to what is going on there.

Lastly, I NEVER went "around" the parts manager until he told me he didn't know the parts number and THEN I asked if he wanted me to call Newmar and get it....
In the instance of my replacement hitch, Spartan had sent the wrong hitch that arrived on Friday....I went to the parts manager and asked what was happening and he said Spartan would send the "correct" hitch and it'd take three days to get there freight...
I called Spartan on Friday myself and explained that I was going to be there all weekend and then into the next week as a result of THEIR mistake and mysteriously they OVERNIGHTED the hitch...It got there Saturday,was put on Monday and I was on my way...

It's obvious Steve that you disagree with me, so let's just agree to disagree.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:00 AM   #24
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Lastly, I NEVER went "around" the parts manager until he told me he didn't know the parts number and THEN I asked if he wanted me to call Newmar and get it.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with Bob on this.

I always give the right person the opportunity to do their job. If they fail, I have no problem in escalating the issue until someone takes the proper action.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:31 PM   #25

Mid Atlantic Campers
Bob, you held back so much info, now it's rather clear. Relax

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:10 PM   #26

I stopped by North Trail yesterday to look at the 08 Essex models and my MH ended up in a ditch. The sales person insisted on parking my MH due to insurance reasons. She put the drivers side rear axles in a ditch while trying to turn the MH around. Many thanks to Scott and Ryan for figuring out how to get my MH safely out of the ditch. They responded immediately and professionally. Unfortunately, the drama of this situation ruined the day and I lost the desire to look any new MH's. The only good experience was how the service department responded and offered to take care of a warranty repair. Scott, Ryan and everyone else were very professional.

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:34 PM   #27
Administrator Emeritus

Jerry, I am hoping your coach suffered no significant damage, but am certain that North Trail will stand behind the issue...

I just happened to receive a call from Diesel Dan today....He was wondering how I was doing with the new coach.

North Trail will have a display of '08's at the Florida State Rally in April...

Good luck with your coach!!
Old 04-02-2007, 01:39 AM   #28

Diesel Dan came by after I was towed out of the ditch. Diane was the sales person that put me in the ditch. I mentioned to Dan that I stopped by North Trail since you and others had so many positive things to say about the dealership. I had hoped to test drive a new 08 Essex and do some side by side comparisons with "other" high end MH's in stock. However, by the time we finished inspecting my MH for damage, the only thing I wanted to do was get up to our friends home near Ocala for dinner.

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote