RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2018, 09:37 AM   #29

Another thumbs up for Freedom RV in Tucson. They not only will work on a coach not bought there but their service department is excellent...from the appointment person to the techs.

charlievette is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2018, 09:40 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
JMHO - Praise is for broad public distribution and negative criticism should be delivered directly to someone who can do something about it - so document your negative issues directly with Newmar!

wepinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
My dealer told me when we purchased from him that he would only work on Newmar's he sold. He said that he had a hard time getting his customers in for service so he decided to only work on them. (Berryland Campers in La.) Bill
I feel that I am at least partially responsible for the recent discussions about dealers who are unwilling to perform warranty work on Newmar that were not purchased from them because I brought it up in a thread where an iRV2 member was looking for recommendations for a dealer. Yes, I am very upset with Berryland Campers. They are the closest Newmar dealer to me (about 40 miles away) and I visited them on 3 separate occasions during 2016-2017 to discuss the 34' Ventana and Ventana Le's. My wife and I have no desire to go any larger than a 34' unit. In my visits, they never had a 34' unit on their premises and they told me that do not order those units for their dealer inventory (however, I believe they have a New Aire unit on their lot right now). On my last visit to them to seriously discuss ordering a Ventana LE 3436, they were not interested in sitting down with us to discuss price because I distinctly got the impression they did not want to "waste" one of their production slots on the unit we were interested in purchasing.

So yes, I started looking elsewhere. I was negotiating with a large dealer in the Tampa area on a used 2016 Ventana LE 3436. The price they were wanting I felt was way too high. The new 2017 unit we found, which we eventually bought, was only a little further away at Midway RV in Michigan and we purchased the new 2017 from Midway for way less than what the Florida dealer wanted on the used 2016. (It felt great to tell their salesman that when he called back a couple of weeks later.) Midway has been a fabulous dealer to work with and they prepared the MH very well when we picked it up.

Getting back to Berryland, I have called their service department twice to give them the opportunity to do warranty work, once when one of our rooftop heat pump units went out and a second time for the headlight and ATS recalls. They have refused to work on my coach. When I called Newmar Customer Service, they have been very helpful and accommodating. Newmar called Berryland when I was also on the call and Berryland service did not pick up the phone even though they knew it was Newmar Customer Service on the line. Even the Newmar rep seemed put out.

Newmar worked with me and gave me 2 choices to have my warranty work on my heat pump. I chose Southaven RV in Southaven, MS and so far they have been great! Southaven, MS is a 6 hour drive from my home but they gave me an appointment in a reasonable timeframe, started work on my MH right away, and had the heat pump replaced and us back on the road headed home by Noon. I have another service appointment with Southaven RV next week for the recall work and an adjustment on my FWS. I expect this visit will also be a good experience.

In my case, I feel that I gave Berryland every opportunity to make a sale with me but because of their desire to only sell higher dollar units, I am being hurt because i have to drive 6 hours away for service.

------ Jim
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:21 AM   #32

As we all know, the bottom is going to fall out of the RV market again in the "not too far off" future. These kind of dealers will get what is coming to them at that time. Sure, it is hard to wait for it to happen, but you will have the last laugh when these kind of dealers go down the tubes. Sorry for your frustrations.
mowingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:10 PM   #33

I agree with Turbo and others, a sticky at the beginning of the forum page would put the dealers who deny warranty service on notice. Our power is in our membership numbers, letís use it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
Let's start a list of Newmar dealers who will not perform warranty service on Newmar coaches purchased from other dealers.

Don't have any idea how long the list will be. May be more efficient to list the dealers who will honor the warranty for coaches purchased elsewhere.

It is possible once this list sees the light of day some dealers will change policies. So let's keep the thread dynamic. I have read on the forum that some Newmar dealers will honor the warranty but put coaches not purchased through them at the back of the line waiting weeks or months for service.

For purposes of this thread let's classify those dealers in the "will not perform warranty" category.

The issue here is where can you get service when traveling away from your home dealer?

My contribution. Last time I checked Holland RV Centers in Southern California will not perform warranty service on coaches purchased elsewhere. Post of this has changed.
charlievette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:03 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
Let's start a list of Newmar dealers who will not perform warranty service on Newmar coaches purchased from other dealers.

Don't have any idea how long the list will be. May be more efficient to list the dealers who will honor the warranty for coaches purchased elsewhere.

It is possible once this list sees the light of day some dealers will change policies. So let's keep the thread dynamic. I have read on the forum that some Newmar dealers will honor the warranty but put coaches not purchased through them at the back of the line waiting weeks or months for service.

For purposes of this thread let's classify those dealers in the "will not perform warranty" category.

The issue here is where can you get service when traveling away from your home dealer?

My contribution. Last time I checked Holland RV Centers in Southern California will not perform warranty service on coaches purchased elsewhere. Post of this has changed.

This amazes me that Newmar letís this happen. To add to this, the dealer you mention here is so bad that Newmar Customer service told me that they would not send me there as they didnít have confidence in their service department, instead told me I would be better off driving to Oregon ( I live in Los Angeles). How can Newmar let this go on?

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:29 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
This amazes me that Newmar let’s this happen. To add to this, the dealer you mention here is so bad that Newmar Customer service told me that they would not send me there as they didn’t have confidence in their service department, instead told me I would be better off driving to Oregon ( I live in Los Angeles). How can Newmar let this go on?
Confirms my suspicion. When it comes to quality service for Newmar coaches there is a major problem in one of the country's biggest RV markets. How Newmar can let this continue is a puzzle. Makes me worry even more about the quality of Newmar management.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:51 PM   #36

Just tossing my two pennies into the conversation. The Newmar dealer network is not analogous to the automobile dealership network. Many of the dealers sign an agreement to purchase a set number per year of Newmar production. Based on their volume they may get to pick the units they get, in other circumstances they may receive a mix determined by Newmar. This leads to disparate service experiences. Smaller dealers and / or dealers with broad manufacturer offerings are less willing to focus on the more complex Class A coaches. (Time is money dynamic)
The second portion of my observation is the where of purchase conundrum. Can I get a lower price flying somewhere else to purchase? Why most likely the answer is yes. However, my time is money also. Tickets, hotels, time away from home, all factor in. The elusive savings are often just an illusion. Me, I would rather support my local dealer and have their support on service issues. Full disclosure, I live in Naples and have North Trail 30 minutes from my front door.
Letís face it, most of us are always looking for the next ďNewmarĒ from the time we pick up the current one. To me, that means developing a relationship with Sales, Service and Managemt at my dealership.
And yes, I am handy enough to fix things that I feel are within my capabilities. I am at the point in my life where I prefer experts to handle 90% of the issues that need attention.
PaulTNaples is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:39 PM   #37

We had narrowed down our coach to order to a Mountain Aire 4047 but after reading this thread may have to consider Entegra again. We have what I think is a good Newmar dealer 4 hours away but will have to do some more research.
mag150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:51 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag150 View Post
We had narrowed down our coach to order to a Mountain Aire 4047 but after reading this thread may have to consider Entegra again. We have what I think is a good Newmar dealer 4 hours away but will have to do some more research.
Do you really think the Entegra dealer network is any different?
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:56 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Do you really think the Entegra dealer network is any different?

No I donít , but I also donít think Newmar and Entegra are at the same level. I personally expect more from a family owned and operated company like Newmar, they do so much great, I believe this is their achillesí heel.

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:59 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTNaples View Post
Just tossing my two pennies into the conversation. The Newmar dealer network is not analogous to the automobile dealership network. Many of the dealers sign an agreement to purchase a set number per year of Newmar production. Based on their volume they may get to pick the units they get, in other circumstances they may receive a mix determined by Newmar. This leads to disparate service experiences. Smaller dealers and / or dealers with broad manufacturer offerings are less willing to focus on the more complex Class A coaches. (Time is money dynamic)
The second portion of my observation is the where of purchase conundrum. Can I get a lower price flying somewhere else to purchase? Why most likely the answer is yes. However, my time is money also. Tickets, hotels, time away from home, all factor in. The elusive savings are often just an illusion. Me, I would rather support my local dealer and have their support on service issues. Full disclosure, I live in Naples and have North Trail 30 minutes from my front door.
Letís face it, most of us are always looking for the next ďNewmarĒ from the time we pick up the current one. To me, that means developing a relationship with Sales, Service and Managemt at my dealership.
And yes, I am handy enough to fix things that I feel are within my capabilities. I am at the point in my life where I prefer experts to handle 90% of the issues that need attention.
Paul I made the analogy of an auto dealership knowing full well they are a different animal. I am on my third Newmar from the same dealer and is one of their biggest fans, However, I believe that a Newmar dealer should be required to perform warranty service. Heaven forbid, that any of us break down without having a dealer like yours or mine close by.

I believe that if Newmar does not address this issue it well be detrimental to their Brand Loyalty and sales. I am a big Newmar fan and hope to keep it that way. I actually believe if we just sit back and not give Newmar our input in a professional manner as a customer we are doing Newmar a disservice.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:06 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag150 View Post
Don't let our discussions sway your opinion Just bought a New Aire with no regrets. Any coach you buy will have its issues with warrantys and a good dealer can make the difference. Newmar is a great company and tries to provide quality service.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:26 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar needs to do more to deal with these service issues. They can't just keep selling units and hope their customers are able to find a way to get the coach fixed when they have problems.

millerj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, newmar, purchase, service, warranty