RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2018, 01:26 PM   #57

I suspect reason for this is lack of product info from Newmar. For example, there is no option to obtain wiring schematics and I have found dealer electrical techs trying to solve problems without them(with no luck or at extreme effort).

tmeyer691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2018, 05:52 PM   #58

I agree I totally hold Newmar responsible, Newmar should not accept any dealer refusal, do you think that Ford or GM would accept that from one of dealers? I think not, so Newmar it’s time to step up to the plate.

Zzotte

Old 10-19-2018, 05:59 PM   #59

There is old adage of you get what you pay for and this is also true when buying your coach. So many only buy their coach based on price to save 1% , instead of buying from a reputable dealer in your home state! I believe you hold the power with your dealer when you have negotiated a fair price at a dealer you plan to visit for service.
Traveling and needing service help, that’s a different ballgame!
Newmar needs to demand dealers
take care of their customers needs or pull their franchise.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:17 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzotte View Post
I agree I totally hold Newmar responsible, Newmar should not accept any dealer refusal, do you think that Ford or GM would accept that from one of dealers? I think not, so Newmar it’s time to step up to the plate.

Zzotte
The RV industry is nothing like the car industry.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:14 PM   #61

It isn’t like the car business, but
it is a customer service business!
As long as the customer accepts poor service, it will continue. It used to be the cable company or appliance delivery company had
us convinced we needed to stay home all day and we would take a
day off. Fast forward, we would not think of that today, now were given a window.
Poor service will never improve until either a manufacturer steps up and realizes they can own the market or the customer no longer
accepts bad behavior.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:16 PM   #62

I have owned 3 Newmar Coaches over the past 19 years & I've attended numerous NKK Rally's & events & personally heard John S & Matt M address this issue- they have repeatedly stated that this is a violation of their dealer contracts & to contact them- Newmar- immediately if you run into this situation.

Now having said that, I have heard of salesmen using this threat as leverage to persuade you to buy from them. This is usually just 'sales
mans hyperbole' from my experience.

As a retired senior executive in manufacturing, I can assure you this practice of not honoring warrantee work or claims can result in dealer termination. The bottom line reason this issue arises is most manufacturers have a field labor rate below the dealer rate of $125-175/hr. Dealers also don't like the fact that they can't make the 60%-130% mark-up on the parts they replace under warrantee. High quality, reputable dealers have no qualms about doing warrantee work on sold by others coaches. We all need to report the others to Newmar Corp. so they can take corrective action.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite17 View Post
It isn’t like the car business, but
it is a customer service business!
As long as the customer accepts poor service, it will continue. It used to be the cable company or appliance delivery company had
us convinced we needed to stay home all day and we would take a
day off. Fast forward, we would not think of that today, now were given a window.
Poor service will never improve until either a manufacturer steps up and realizes they can own the market or the customer no longer
accepts bad behavior.
As I said, selling dealers accept the fact they are going to have to use a percentage of their profits from the sale of the coach to deal with manufacturing issues both during the initial PDI and after that.

When local customers go out of town to save a few thousand dollars and then expect the local dealer to invest hundreds or thousands of dollars fixing their coach, then it isn't shame on Newmar; it isn't shame on the dealer; it's shame on the buyer that is trying to take advantage of the local dealer.

When I bought my ACE, I made the decision to buy long distance to save $15k on a ~$100k coach, but I also accepted the fact that I wasn't going to get good service locally and decided I could pay for issues out of pocket with that $15k savings. I did this because the local(ish) Thor dealers are horrendous.

When I bought my Newmar, I had a choice of three dealers close (2-5 hours away) and chose the one five hours away, because it has an excellent rep for service. I would not have expected to buy from one of the others if they had a better price (or across country) and then take it to the dealer that has the excellent rep for service, because that would have been a scummy thing for me to do, knowing that they didn't make the profit on the sale to cover their costs, because the manufacturer doesn't do so with their warranty reimbursements.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:33 PM   #64
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Ok, let us get this straight. The RV dealers make more money from selling coaches then servicing them. I was once told that they “lose” money from service. Hogwash! They just do not make as much. To them if they make $15,000 from your sell, but only $2,000 from your service, they are “loosing money”. They still make money, it’s just that sales is “easy money”. Until Newmar can enforce dealer ethics like the big auto companies (not that they do a great job) you are going to have this problem.

There are a handful of dealers out there that believe in an honest profit for an honest days work. Research this forum and you will be able to identify them. The rest are a cut below the typical used car sales man. Not much we can do about the bad dealers other than not do business with them. Unfortunately there are enough uninformed buyers out there to keep these maggots in business.

What can we do? Pass on what we know on these forums and hope some are lucky enough to heed the advice of those of us that have been there.

I believe Newmar is stealthily addressing the issue by expanding their service center.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:28 PM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
Is there a list of these dealers?
Ansley RV in Duncansville, pa is also a platinum dealer, never heard of them turning anyone away.

Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, newmar, purchase, service, warranty