Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2018, 06:02 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
One of my biggest complaints about this type of issue (as someone looking hard at Newmar as a replacement coach) is that we travel all over the country. We may not be back in the same area for several months at a time. Not being able to get warranty service on a new coach because I bought it somewhere else 1500 or more miles away is problematic.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2018, 06:12 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
First of all I feel bad for those who have bad experiences with their purchases and subsequent repair issues that arise. But buying a MH is all about the effort and doing your research prior to buying, not after a problem arises. There are several recent posts where people are complaining about Newmar, and it's either the sales end or after the purchase repairs needed, and then generally followed by quality control rants. When reading some posts and seeing the
Mike, I agree with a great deal of what you said. I bought my coach from a dealer that I have known and bought 2 other coaches from. I don't normally do this but I bought this coach without getting addition quotes. This dealer Coachlight RV has always managed to repair and fix any items I have had without a bunch of excuses or waiting an extended period and that does have benefits.

I am aware and don't disagree with dealers having a policy of providing service in a given priority. A good dealer will provide priority service for those unable to travel due to their problems

What I am concerned with is knowing that I will be able to get service whether I am in California, Florida or anywhere I may be. Many of us have paid some rather large dollars for these rigs and we should feel comfortable that we can get service at any Newmar dealer. I realize they have customers of their own and I believe these customers would appreciate the same.

Our complaining for concerns are no more or no less than what we all expect from our auto dealerships. This is my third Newmar and brand loyalty does play into this, but remember when you are unable or stranded and not able to get repairs this does reflect on Newmar and they dealer network. This will affect Newmar
Old 05-20-2018, 07:37 PM   #17

My dealer told me when we purchased from him that he would only work on Newmar's he sold. He said that he had a hard time getting his customers in for service so he decided to only work on them. (Berryland Campers in La.) Bill
taratiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:43 PM   #18

I have spoken to Newmar owners who have been on the road, several hundred miles from their dealer and have had issues. All of them said that Newmar found some way to help them get back on the road. I really think that it's the way you approach them, how often, and what are really the major emergencies that need to be repaired to complete your trip. Those that maybe full time and don't want to drive back to their dealer need to have a back up plan.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:55 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
This is a good start. Just need another few thousand Newmar owners to agree and I think we can make a difference.

I know this is an industry problem but I bought a Newmar.

One issue not discussed is value added premium service contracts. I am willing and able to pay for a "Premium Service Experience". I just want to eliminate the hassle and have someone answer the phone who is willing to service my coach in a timely fashion with competent service personal. I am not asking for a free ride.

A friend of mine just bought a brand new single engine jet aircraft in the range of $2 million. So 2X of a King Aire. Along with the purchase he also purchased an premium service agreement for the aircraft. No matter where that airplane breaks down, they will get it fixed and back in the air fast. I was recently on a trip with him where we lost a fuel valve. They had that plane back in the air with a new valve in 24 hours.

Now these plans are not cheap but they can be priced to how the owner wants to be serviced.

No reason why Newmar could not offer a premium, concierge service agreement with the promise to find the resources and get coach fixed in a specified period of time. Price of the service would hinge on the responsiveness of the plan. We need someone on our side who breaks through the barriers of goofy dealers and FrieghtLiner/Newmar Chinese walls and just gets the darn coach running again.

What is this worth to the average luxury Newmar owner? Chime in.
And leave all the owners who didn’t buy the premium plan at the back of the line? What good is a warranty if you have to pay extra to have it honored?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
And leave all the owners who didn’t buy the premium plan at the back of the line?
Yup, exactly the same place we are now. You can fly Business Class or Coach. Your choice. Right now I feel like I am riding the middle seat in coach. I would be willing to pay for an upgrade.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:47 PM   #21

Such a list could be helpful for some, but for many folks like me who would never purchase a new motorcoach (especially a new model), warranty work is a non-issue and what you're dealing with is but one of the factors in that decision.

I hope you find satisfaction in your quest for redress.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:06 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I have spoken to Newmar owners who have been on the road, several hundred miles from their dealer and have had issues. All of them said that Newmar found some way to help them get back on the road. I really think that it's the way you approach them, how often, and what are really the major emergencies that need to be repaired to complete your trip. Those that maybe full time and don't want to drive back to their dealer need to have a back up plan.
I guess I just expect a warranty that will service my coach when it breaks away from home. I bought a coach that listed for over $400,000 and expect nothing more. than I expect from my car dealership. I guess from all the responses I am in the minority and my expectations of Newmar must be unreasonable. With the philosophy I am seeing here we will never fix the issue.

I love Newmar and feel that they make a quality product with a lot of electronics and gadgets most of us can no longer maintain and I believe Newmar wants the reputation of service and reliability, I do not think they want their dealers to denigrate the service and reputation they have built.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:35 AM   #23

I fully understand a local dealer who sells Newmar (or other brand) not wanting to do repair work on a unit bought somewhere else, IF you lived in area at the time of purchase. But if you are from out of town, or have moved into the area and now need service/help they accommodate you.

What I find even more problematic is gasser motorhome being built on a Ford chassis and not being able to find a dealer to work on it.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:08 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlievette View Post
I can add Freedom RV in Tucson has been fantastic. I did not purchase my coach from them, but never any attitude or hassle. Their work and their knowledge of the Newmar coach was spot on. The tech that worked on my coach spent time with me going over the repairs he made and several that he fixed that I wasn’t aware of.

2X on Freedom. They did our transfer Switch recall and ordered and replaced our induction cooktop that had started buzzing.
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:25 AM   #25

X3 on Freedom in Tucson.

I wish I would have bought my Newmar from these folks! I contacted Newmar to schedule some warranty work at the factory in Indiana. Steve, my Newmar service adviser knew that we were traveling and helped me schedule a stop in Tucson to have Freedom do the warranty work. So that is what we did and I am really glad we did. Many RV dealers won't give you the time of day if you didn't buy from them, but Freedom treated us great and did a perfect job on the repairs. Dusty at Freedom coordinated it all for us and she did a top notch job. Kept us informed of the parts ordered etc. and made sure it was all taken care of. Keep up the great work Dusty, and hats off to Freedom!

The dealer we bought from, Holland in Southern CA, wouldn't even help us out after we took delivery!
Old 05-21-2018, 07:38 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Service is a problem for all of us - but I am going to suggest if you are going to post on this thread that you only praise those who do the right thing! I found out a long time ago that by treating the folks in service departments with respect and honesty you can usually get what you need and want! I have a practice of giving praise to the service folks including occasionally buying a gift card to a local restaurant not just for the service manager but encouraging it go to the tech that worked on my coach! I foolishly believe this pays long term dividends.

I foolishly believe that just as people buy from sales people they like, that service folks take good care of customers they like. I personally will turn away from the one who believes they can stamp their feet and scream the loudest and perhaps embarrass or threaten the business. Life is too short for such for such heartburn!

I am not naive about this - I know there is bad service out there - and bad dealers out there - I just happen to believe you can get what you really want by a better road!
wepinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:59 AM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
At age 45, I came into this RV world 2.5 years ago with all the wrong expectations. It simply never occurred to me the service experience would be so different from the auto industry. For example, a min 4-6 lead time for an appt, several days to a month for the execution of service, don’t expect service to keep you informed when delays arise.

6 months before the end of my 1st year of ownership, I moved into a hotel for 3 weeks while it was in service for a batch of issues at Transwest of Fountain. 2 days before I was to pick it up, I called to verify all was good to go. Instead I learned they were still waiting on Newmar to approve the work and ship the parts. I called Newmar to understand the delay, but heard them pointing a finger at the dealership. I soon found myself in the middle of a he said, she said. It took an additional 4 months before the punch list was dealt with entirely.

I am on the cusp of new generation of owners. I believe the next batch is going to be even more hands off. Also, this industry has had a long run of increased sales. I buy into the lack of skilled trades people (again the next gen is different). However, It is overdue for this industry at least show signs of adjusting to their new consumer and the dealer network to make capital investments in larger service facilities and better communication while in service. As a FT’r I like what I am seeing at Gauranty in OR; with the adjacent RV Park. I am also grateful to see Newmar is making an investment in their service facility. But these examples are the exception to the rule it seems.

All you veterans of the industry keep saying this is what you have lived with, I should accept it as the standard and become more mechanically savvy. Thankfully this site exists to help me draw a line between what I can do vs. what is far outside my pay grade, but I hope your wrong. I seem to do more harm than good.
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:13 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhound View Post
All you veterans of the industry keep saying this is what you have lived with, I should accept it as the standard and become more mechanically savvy.
You are seeing this issues correctly. What has evolved is a version of the Stockholm Syndrome between RV owners and RV manufacturers/dealers. We have owners saying the best way to get service is to get down on one knee and beg to have your coach fixed. This is nuts.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, newmar, purchase, service, warranty