Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2005, 09:15 AM   #1
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The grapevine says the 2006 Newmars will have a 1 year warranty instead of the 3 year warranty.

There has been a lot of discussion on this change on the Newmarowners, and Newmar-dp-owners forums. Both on Yahoo.
Also some discussion on Rv.Net also under Class A Motorhomes.

Go take a look, if interested.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2005, 09:15 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The grapevine says the 2006 Newmars will have a 1 year warranty instead of the 3 year warranty.

There has been a lot of discussion on this change on the Newmarowners, and Newmar-dp-owners forums. Both on Yahoo.
Also some discussion on Rv.Net also under Class A Motorhomes.

Go take a look, if interested.

Old 04-11-2005, 11:26 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I heard the same thing. I have some opinions on that but before we go too far though I'd like to see something "official" pertaining to that rumor. Many times rumors get carried away and the facts are otherwise so I'd really hope they'd have an official announcement (or denial) of it real soon.

If anyone has any facts on this please post them.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 03:35 PM   #4

This was a quote from Jeff Regan, Alpine Recreation:
I wish this was just a rumor. Dick Parks told customers about the warranty rolllback possibility at the F.M.C.A. Rally in Perry, Georgia.
This information has not been given to dealers officially, but I am told by my rep. that Essex will still have the 3yr./50,000mi. warranty, but no other Newmar products--they will all have one year warranties., except the chassis/drivetrains. Ed.S
Old 04-11-2005, 04:13 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If its true its a tough pill to swallow new comers will have to cope like everyone else, sure was a good selling point for Newmar, new managment now in control. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 06:27 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Really sorry to hear this. I had hoped that Newmar's 3 year warranty would start a trend toward longer support and ultimately better build quality. If Newmar abandons the longer warranty, the others will never even try.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 05:51 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
This past Saturday I was at my Newmar dealer and was told by my salesman that I'm lucky that I bought an '05 with the 3 year warranty. He stated that the dealership had just received a notice that starting with '06's, it would be a 1 year warranty.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:40 AM   #8

Disturbing news, if its true, is warranty costing them that much or are they simply trying to maximise profits? I would think it will be a costly decision for Newmar, a lot of people use that warranty as the deciding factor to buy.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:31 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I was hoping that Newmar's 3 year warranty would be a reason for others to step up to the plate and match it. Newmar's are very well built and while I wouldn't expect Newmar to use the extra 2 years very often, I see the value in having a 3 year warranty. RVers don't generally run the wheels off their coaches. They tend to sit a lot and things tend to surface after the 1 year is up. To me, this was one of the major pluses in Newmar's favor and a big reason to buy Newmar.

Unfortunately the new management leans to the bean counter side of things rather than providing value for the customer. I think this is a bad decision on their part. They may save a few expense dollars but they'll certainly loose it on the sales end as well. That's the opposite attitude that made Newmar the respected marque that it is today and is totally counter to the Mennonite heritage that the company is built upon.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 10:52 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Some of this is self imposed, some is bad customers, some plain ecomonics and so on. I went thru this when I worked at Dell. I sat in on few warranty review meetings and call tell you that the warranty cost is built into the product based on many factors. At one point Dell gave a std 3 year warranty. 1st year was onsite repair and years 2/3 were parts only. Now check to see what you get.... zip almost nothing.

A good example is what it cost Newmar to fix my broken dead bolt knob. Newmar requires the dealer to go thru them and they must replace the whole lock assembly with a very large markup (according to my parts guy at the dealer). The true cost is about $87 to a external customer directly from Trimark. The knob and retaining clip can be had for $1.04. Now in my case I have the parts shipped to me as the dealer is a 6 hour drive round trip and at $2+ per gallon I am not about to drive to the dealer for a $1 repair. So, Newmar either pays the shipping to the dealer and then to me and return or pays $90/hr for labor plus s/h on the part.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:58 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
We got the same information from our dealer. As of 2006 models it's a 1 year warranty. Reason...when they started doing it the hourly cost for work was $55 and it is now $95/hr average for repair work. They can't keep up with the 3 yr warranty at those prices.
Nedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 12:25 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It will be very interesting to see the 2006 price increase.

One thing we will never know is what the 2nd and 3rd year warranty cost is to Newmar. The loss of 2 years warranty is a hidden price increase in addition to the annual price increase.

Old 04-12-2005, 04:38 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
When the bean counters win we lose. That definitely takes them off my want list. Looks like we'll be buying a Tiffin made MH when we get around to it.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 06:19 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am REALLY sorry to hear this, if it is true. I have a 2001 MACA and have been considering moving to a 2006. I have had more warranty work done in the last year of the warranty than previous (brakes and driveline imbalance). True some were brake recalls etc, but the truth is the reason I bought this coach was because it was well built and Newmar was willing to stand behind their product.

Does this now mean that they don't believe in their product? There are lots of coaches out there very comprable in quality and price, the warranty separated them from the "rest". I am deeply disappointed. Newmar needs to take a look at what a REAL warranty did for Hyundai and KIA (check their market share for the last 5 years). Short term profit won't account for long term customer loyalty.

Charlie