RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2018, 08:38 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Newmar Dutch Star cabinets and woodwork

01 Dutch Star 3852. New, $169k.......Needed to access the plumbing under the shower to clean out the rat turds. Pulled the wall panel off in the bedroom to get under the shower. Noticed that the wall backer is so far off that the panel and trim were just hanging there. Bad wood work.

Huge hole around the shower plumbing that needs to be foamed to keep the mice and rats out. Good news is now I know how they are getting in and can repair it. No way to access this hole to plug it from the bottom, you have to remove wall panel. Also pex pipes are just hanging in the air so I need to tie them down so they won't bang against the wall boards and make the terrible racket that was going inside the wall when first starting up in the mornings. Shower floor supports just hanging in mid air, no floor support at all. Wow.... Now I know why the drain was replaced with a sink drain, the fiberglass hole where the drain is mounted must have cracked.

Had to remove the bed top on the slide to get room to work and the bed frame collapsed on top of the slide mech. It was stapled together with 1/2" staplers, not a drop of glue in the entire frame. The side panels look to be 1/16" oak veneer on top of 1/16" plastic covered panels. Never seen such cheap construction before. The top of the bed was screwed to the wall where the screws had created enlongated holes in the wall from vibration of normal use. (not vehicle vibration) Only the 4 screws in the slide that were bent were holding the bed frame on. The roller frame screws, just 4, were loose. They screwed into some 1x2 pine. If you have a bedroom slide you may want to check to make sure these are tight so your bed rolls correctly and doesn't collapse on you.

The shelf under the kitchen sink is 3/8 particle board that is supported by 3/4"x3/4" across the center under the 3 foot length. It has warped to a bowl shape. There is only one screw holding up the back side on the out side wall.... The Omish built this????

I really expected a better quality....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2018, 10:55 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
That is my observation too, every time I opened a panel. Most, out of sight stuff is very poorly made. Specially electrical. Wrong fasteners for the job, wrong length and type screws......

Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:43 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holly cow. I can not imagine how that coach held together for 17 years.
wishalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:02 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Maybe you should read this long thread of a MADP rebuild and get your coach straighten out, the rats must of had a lot of fun in 17 years.
If Newmar quality is so bad why are people buying them if they have so many problems.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:36 PM   #5

Hipe?
Old 06-24-2018, 07:58 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Got the plumbing gap foamed in. turns out there were 2. Have you ever tried installing duct tape with a reach pincer???? whew... foam straw was just long enough so I could reach the back pipe. Had to use the duct tape because the gap was so large the foam would have just dropped down onto the septic tank below. Pulled the toilet closet door and it's jambs. Made a oak molding to fit over the end of the wall seperating the toilet from the shower.Looks like it was built that way as it matches the lead edge. Yes, holes to fill but that is nothing new. I use a rounded end tool to push the wood and vinyl down into each hole then fill with white latex painters caulk. They can hardly be seen.

Tags
dutch star, newmar