Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2019, 09:10 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Newmar Essex vs. Marathon Prevost

NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2019, 09:17 AM   #2

That is an interesting video.

On the Prevost site, there is always an argument/comparison on whether to spend $850,000 on a new Newmar (or any other brand) or buying a used Prevost. The Prevost would be about 9-12 yrs. old depending on the converter (Liberty Coach, Marathon, Millennium, Featherlite, etc.).

The video is not really comparing apples to apples. A three yr. old 2016 Marathon would retail for about $1.4-$1.6M (depending on how many slides) vs. a 2019 Newmar. So, the price difference is not as high as shown.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:18 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Neal - I've noticed a few of his YouTube videos. Generally they lack consistency and almost always miss the point. They also provide information that contradicts from one video to another other. The comparison between these motor homes makes no sense as they are two different products that basically share the fact that they are on wheels. It's a disservice to both coaches. But then again we know how important the presence of over spray is. I'm willing to bet if the Essex was more expensive he'd like it better. You learn a lot washing cars.

Tom
Old 06-26-2019, 10:57 AM   #4

Seems like a pointless comparison. The only merit in this would be if the Newmar came out close to even in the comparison, so why spend an extra mil+ when you can get the same quality for 1/3 of the price. Otherwise you better get a heck of a lot more for all the extra cash, which seems to be the case. Even then it's pretty hard to justify unless you're extremely wealthy.
Baffled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:32 AM   #5

comparison

I have not watched the video.
I know a few owners of Prevosts coaches and what I hear from them almost universally putting quality and price points aside is the service network for the high end coaches is outstanding.

If you happen to have an issue, you can call and talk to someone who is knowledgeable and experienced. If you need to have it serviced or repaired, they will make the arrangements to find the service center and follow through on making sure you are taken care of. I also have heard the documentation and schematics is extensive for those coaches.

Likewise, one owner was showing me his bays and it is impressive how everything from electrical to amenities (fold out bbq, TV etc) are laid out but you pay for that. Is it worth that much more, it depends on the owner.

If you are not mechanically skilled and you want top line care/service, it might be worth it for peace of mind.
2017 Prevost Marathon #1250
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk w/AF1 and Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow System
Orinda, CA
sheridany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:08 PM   #6

In 2007 and 2008 Newmar built as few as 25 LONDON AIRE's that were special constructed off the assembly line that were the equal of the Prevost level for a fiberglass coach.
The cost at that time was 1 million dollars and still would have been a million dollars less then a Prevost. We have only seen about 5 since we saw the first one in 07. They really were special and we had heard that Newmar lost hundreds of thousands of dollars on each one. They were not built on a assembly which allowed Newmar to have the highest standard of quality. It would have been nice to compare a 08 LONDON AIRE to a 08 Prevost conversion which still would have cost a million dollars more. We have visited Marathon Prevost a couple times and with only building 25 or less coaches they can build a better coach then King Aire for 1 million more. We are lucky to have our LA as retired educators and have been happy with our Newmar's since 97.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
In 2007 and 2008 Newmar built as few as 25 LONDON AIRE's that were special constructed off the assembly line that were the equal of the Prevost level for a fiberglass coach.
The cost at that time was 1 million dollars and still would have been a million dollars less then a Prevost. We have only seen about 5 since we saw the first one in 07. They really were special and we had heard that Newmar lost hundreds of thousands of dollars on each one. They were not built on a assembly which allowed Newmar to have the highest standard of quality. It would have been nice to compare a 08 LONDON AIRE to a 08 Prevost conversion which still would have cost a million dollars more. We have visited Marathon Prevost a couple times and with only building 25 or less coaches they can build a better coach then King Aire for 1 million more. We are lucky to have our LA as retired educators and have been happy with our Newmar's since 97.
Newmar Man
Not sure if I understand exactly what you are saying. Are you talking about the 'fit and finish' on the inside of the London Aire was comparable to Prevost? Did Newmar use a different chassis? The slide mechanisms would be totally different too.

Prevost's have a Monocoque built chassis and heavy-duty commercial drive-train parts. Prevost have real front and rear bumpers and uses an extremely high quality fiberglass and stainless steel (XL Chassis's) exteriors.

I'm sure that model London Aire was a nice coach but built totally different than a Prevost.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
Not sure if I understand exactly what you are saying. Are you talking about the 'fit and finish' on the inside of the London Aire was comparable to Prevost? Did Newmar use a different chassis? The slide mechanisms would be totally different too.

Prevost's have a Monocoque built chassis and heavy-duty commercial drive-train parts. Prevost have real front and rear bumpers and uses an extremely high quality fiberglass and stainless steel (XL Chassis's) exteriors.

I'm sure that model London Aire was a nice coach but built totally different than a Prevost.

Safe travels,
Mark
An 08 London Aire seems closer to a 2020 King Aire than an 08 Prevost.
univmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:59 PM   #9

We had an Essex that we traded for a Millennium Prevost. We now own a 2018 Millennium. We owned the Essex for 3 years and spend many days in Nappanee or other repair facilties.

There is no comparison between a Prevost and a Newmar. I have been to the Newmar factory many times and I've been to the Prevost factory 3 times. They are built out of solid stainless steel. They are built to be over the road buses that will easily see 2 million miles. They are so many Prevost buses running around the country, service facilities are everywhere. And Prevost itself, if we have a problem with any year bus, we can call their 800 number and they will help us. 20 year old buses have electrical schematics and parts list on the web, by individual bus number.

I have had Monaco, Newmar and Prevost. We were not very lucky, our Newmar and the service we received fell well below Monaco and Prevost.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:54 PM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by univmd View Post
An 08 London Aire seems closer to a 2020 King Aire than an 08 Prevost.
You owe me a new keyboard, as I just spit my sweet tea all over this one.

I was one of the sixteen or so retail LADB owners back in 2008... For giggles. do an iRV2 Newmar forum search for "Bob's LADB Adventures" or something of the sorts.... It was not a pretty experience. Newmar later admitted they were way over their head with what they were trying to do... I had pneumatic pocket doors and EPLEX and all sorts of goodies.... And lots of issues as well.

Last year I was at North Trail and came across an old "08 LADB that they couldn't "give" away because it still had issues they couldn't fix....Never knew what happened to that coach, but I assume it was wholesaled.

There's no comparison from the standpoint of an '08 LADB to anything made in 2020....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:55 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
He's bashing Newmar again. I suggest all Newmar owners just not use this guy for detailing! Won't get my business.

NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelsbeach View Post
You owe me a new keyboard, as I just spit my sweet tea all over this one.

I was one of the sixteen or so retail LADB owners back in 2008... For giggles. do an iRV2 Newmar forum search for "Bob's LADB Adventures" or something of the sorts.... It was not a pretty experience. Newmar later admitted they were way over their head with what they were trying to do... I had pneumatic pocket doors and EPLEX and all sorts of goodies.... And lots of issues as well.

Last year I was at North Trail and came across an old "08 LADB that they couldn't "give" away because it still had issues they couldn't fix....Never knew what happened to that coach, but I assume it was wholesaled.

There's no comparison from the standpoint of an '08 LADB to anything made in 2020....
There is no comparison between any London Aire and any Grand Design. A big step backwards.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:56 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Neal - He also is acting as broker/sales agent on YouTube despite his saying he is just a man with a camera. Hope he gets sued, what a BS artist.

Tom
Old 07-04-2019, 05:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
There is no comparison between any London Aire and any Grand Design. A big step backwards.
Newmar Man
Huh??? He didn't mention anything other than Newmar. Unless you quoted the wrong post.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar