Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2018, 09:17 AM   #15

I'm one of those on the end of production for 2018 (May), so I hope the increase in production doesn't affect quality. I can tell you I am a bit concerned especially since its my first coach, never been on factory tour, and will be doing dealer pick up. Since not hearing much from dealer since October I have reach out to Newmar for more on overall process. Thanks
micbob4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2018, 12:13 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Hi tnedator,
Yes, I have really been on the tour over 100 times. I quit counting at 100. Some of the reasons are:
1. Newmar techs are the only people who work on my coach. Save up my list of items and every year travel to Newmar to get the work done.
2. Spartan is about 100 miles up the road. Spartan techs are the only people who work on my coach chassis. Make an appointment with Spartan and kill two birds with one stone.
3. Some of the work is minor and some major. There comes a time in life when I want a single source to look to for repairs.

Now about the tour.
1. I am a retired engineer and manager. When I take the tour I rarely look at the coaches being built. I'm watching the people who make the coach. One can learn a lot about a current environment by watching the people.
2. There is nothing else to do. My coach is an 05. Been going there for so many years and have done it all, more than once.

I do still participate by dining at the Amish restaurants. Been in a class A coach since 1978. My travel habits have changed due to age and the thought now is when do I want to go back to.

In a nutshell there you have it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
In Tampa they mentioned that they moved from 40-50 coaches a week (as mentioned) and now they had a build log out though May. That's not a bad thing - at least they can forecast everything they need to build all those coaches. It's only bad for people that want theirs NOW. They also mentioned 10 years ago they had 300 employees, now they have 900+.
I own a very old Newmar coach and was impressed when I listened to their briefing in Tampa. I asked them about how long they keep parts and their reply was 20 years (well that is my coaches age) - I was told they keep fiberglass molds for that long but I'm not sure they have all parts in stock for that long. I asked the Spartan guys the same thing and they said the industry standard used to be 20 years but now is about 5 years. :-(
Unfortunately Spartan does not keep stuff for long. In 2017 I was sent to a company named "vintage parts"for my 2016 chassis; apparently too old to get parts from Spartan. Dealing with Vintage was the worst customer experience I've ever had.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:43 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
uncnavy200, I am shocked to hear that about Spartan. I remember your woe after the flooding on your way home from the FPU and that you were able to upgrade to a 2016 KADP. When you spend that kind of money the RV ought to be trouble free, and if you need to take it to Newmar they shower your path with rose petals.

What kind of parts does Spartan not have for you. Sometimes I think a home machine shop and welding equip are needed to keep a RV for a dozen to 20 years.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes2901 View Post
uncnavy200, I am shocked to hear that about Spartan. I remember your woe after the flooding on your way home from the FPU and that you were able to upgrade to a 2016 KADP. When you spend that kind of money the RV ought to be trouble free, and if you need to take it to Newmar they shower your path with rose petals.

What kind of parts does Spartan not have for you. Sometimes I think a home machine shop and welding equip are needed to keep a RV for a dozen to 20 years.
I was after a new gasket for the drive axle as it was leaking a substantial amount of differential fluid (enough to coat the back of my coach & toad completely in oil). Anyway Spartan no longer carries the gasket from my model year which is how I ended up dealing with Vintage.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:31 PM   #20
Rd1

Quote:
It's not just Newmar, the entire industry is exploding in the wake of increasing demand of which basically saw a two-fold increase in pre-production cycle Dealer orders from 2016 to 2017 and likely to continue for the near term. .
there are about 10k baby boomers retiring every day! started around 2010 and will continue for about 19 years (2029), according to PEW research. there will be lots of MHs and campers on the road. no wonder investment bankers are buying up campgrounds. campers be aware..
Old 01-30-2018, 04:03 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
We've heard it all before, too many times the same old complaints and concerns about increased production means lower quality. Sounds like a politician's' rhetoric with a stump speech.

There are a couple of things few have ever mentioned. If you take the tour often (I have over 100 times over the years). One sees where improvements have been made to allow for the 50 coaches a week. In addition Newmar does not go to a second or third shift simply because of potential quality issues. The risks are too large. The Newmar executive team knows their business inside and out, up and down. They run a tight ship. Every manufacturing team I have seen on the floor knows each job the team is responsible for. There is no shouting or yelling. The guys can tell when something other that what they are doing needs their involvement and they jump in and get the job done. It is a very well oiled team.

It is more than just building a great coach. It is the people and how they work together that gets that coach built, and built well.
We are new Newmarians and have been impressed with being able to get through to customer support quickly ( I purpously avoid Monday morning) or the parts dept and the thorough answers I have recieved and email follow up if required.

Tags
newmar