Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2017, 09:15 AM   #1

Newmar extended warranty (service plan)

Hi,

Is it worth getting a service plan for a 5-7year old Newmar gas coach?

I got it on my current coach as it was my 1st coach ever and it was an 11 year old entry level gas coach but open to self funding.

Thanks,

Stephen
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2017, 09:47 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depends on your level of comfort about doing your own repairs, paying others to do the repairs and your financial status. Probably you have H/O, life and medical insurance.

If service contracts were $1.00/year.....everyone would go for it. But if it is $500 to $900/year......decision time.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:30 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ask yourself 1st if you can demonstrate that all prior preventative maintenance (PM) was performed (and documented) on the 5-7 year old MH new to you and performed to the manufacturer's and major component recommendation(s). Most ESPs require that PM requirements are performed and can be demonstrated in the event of a major component failure. Last thing you'd want to do is buy such a plan where the disclosures indicate a part or component is covered -- only to have a claim denied because prior PM having been performed cannot be demonstrated. If nothing less, when looking into the various ESPs available, be certain to question the aspect of PM including the period prior to your ownership. Note: these type questions need to be answered by the Administrators of such plans and not the sales person sitting across from you at a desk trying to convince you that the plan they are offering is the best one to meet your needs albeit since you previously had an ESP on your other MH, you may already know all this.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:34 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We kept our '02 DSDP for 13 years, it was the most reliable rig I've ever owned. Would not have needed a service policy.
So far the present rig is much more expensive to keep running.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:18 AM   #5

Thanks all for the replies,

All great info.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:08 AM   #6

Thumbs up Get it

Make sure its from a reputable source, can use it at various dealers or repairs shops, but I'm glad I got one when I bought. Not that I've used it but, for assurance in case of a major repair. Its not a lot when you consider the overall purchase and finance it. Be sure to negotiate for it, get it close to cost if you are buying a new coach. If you don't use it, that's even better. I'm not looking to use it, just like car insurance. I don't know if its available after the original warranty but, you might be able to wait until the original warranty expires to purchase one and during the original warranty get a feeling for repair issues. And its generally transferrable to a buyer which s a benefit. Some also cover towing, overnight hotel, and food spoilage, etc. Good luck
twelvewheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended warranty, newmar, service, warranty