RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2007, 03:40 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Going to Spartan on February 5th and then onto Newmar for an appointment on the 7th. I will probably stay a night or two to see the factory and meet some people.

Please let me know if any forum members will be there.

Also, they need to keep the coach for 5 - 7 days. I will be driving back to the Buffalo area, 475 miles. I was going to rent a car one way to go back home and then again to pick it up in a couple of weeks.

However, I am trying to work with my dealer to see if I can drive a coach back for him. Don't know if that would work.

I am flexible and my family will be in Florida so I'm bachen' it.

I don't mind spending the money on the rental but, wondered if there were any other ideas out there for getting back home and then to Newmar. Just want to try to drive a new rig, meet someone new, whatever.

Should I contact Newmar? Other dealers? Can I do any favors for forum members in the area?

JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2007, 03:40 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Going to Spartan on February 5th and then onto Newmar for an appointment on the 7th. I will probably stay a night or two to see the factory and meet some people.

Please let me know if any forum members will be there.

Also, they need to keep the coach for 5 - 7 days. I will be driving back to the Buffalo area, 475 miles. I was going to rent a car one way to go back home and then again to pick it up in a couple of weeks.

However, I am trying to work with my dealer to see if I can drive a coach back for him. Don't know if that would work.

I am flexible and my family will be in Florida so I'm bachen' it.

I don't mind spending the money on the rental but, wondered if there were any other ideas out there for getting back home and then to Newmar. Just want to try to drive a new rig, meet someone new, whatever.

Should I contact Newmar? Other dealers? Can I do any favors for forum members in the area?

Old 01-21-2007, 02:07 PM   #3

Why not just stay in a B&B or motel at or near Napannee?

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 02:08 PM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Scott, while it may indeed be likely your dealer would "cover" you with a rider insurance to bring a coach back, I'd not think it likely the factory would take the same stance.

Having just returned (almost) from the Newmar Rally at the Tampa show,I'm thinking there may be others that may be headed to Nappanee,but it's not exactly beach weather there ya know....right?

If I were you, I'd hang out in the Indiana or surrounding area with a rental car as there are MANY things to see....Factory tours, rv surplus stores,the RV Hall of Fame and so forth...

You could even take a Newmar tour and visit with Darla...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:28 PM   #5

Speaking of Darla, don't judge the visit on her. They may not all be that nice.
But, you will rave, I hope, at the service.

Peter
Old 01-21-2007, 03:42 PM   #6

Scott

I'd be very careful if you deliver a rig from the factory to the dealer. I work part time for a drive-a-way company that delivers buses so I'm somewhat familiar with the motorhome delivery services. When you take possession of the motorhome, the factory insurance ends. The dealer insurance doesn't start until you have delivered it and they have signed for it. The drivers that do this kind of work have their own insurance, bonding and have to pay their own expenses including fuel, oil, and any potential breakdowns / towing. They may or may not get reimbursed for breakdowns or towing.
As I said, be very careful. You could end up with a whole lot of liability on your head. I would at the very least have a written agreement from the dealer / factory as to who pays for what.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:08 PM   #7

2 days in Nappanee is more than enough time for tours.

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:18 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Scott,
Stay and enjoy the area. You'll need to be up very early as the techs will knock on your door before the sun is up. I've been there more than once and never felt bored or lacked things to do, places to see or different places to eat. Being in Amish country, eating is an activity that will send you back to Buffalo larger than when you left. You'll be an expert when you bring your family to the area, as a tourist. Consider bringing your own toad.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:46 AM   #9

Has anyone had experience staying at Newmar, and Spartan, for service with the family pet along, in our case a 25# black Schnauzer? Specifically are there any nearby motels etc. that accept pets? We'd expect to rent a car in both locations. Maybe we can get the rough ride issue finally resolved!
Old 12-28-2007, 04:54 AM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
You can stay in your coach overnight at both factories.

If Newmar needs to keep your coach inside overnight, they will pay for the hotel.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:02 AM   #11

Both Spartan and Newmar have camping spots for service. Additionally if a motel is required in Napanee with a pet, the Amish Inn will accept a Newmar client with a pet. Their sign in the lobby says "Pets Not Permitted", however if you are getting service at Newmar, no problems.

Peter
Old 12-28-2007, 01:01 PM   #12

Scott, one additional thing to understand about delivering a coach to the dealer. You will be considered to be driving commercially, so in addition to the insurance and such a CDL will be required. Not a big deal unless you get stopped.

CSX4350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:43 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Scott, interesting approach have you contacted anyone regarding delivering a new coach? Nappanee is an interesting place but I think 7 days could prove to be a little on the long side. Is there a reason you can not just bring you TOAD along?

Good Luck, r0n...........

2004 MACA3781
ron & deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:56 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Not sure how this got resurrected from almost a year ago. I needed to get back to my home for business reasons. I wasn't set up for towing yet.

Just thought I could drive a coach back as a new experience. Insurance was the stopper.