Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2017, 05:04 PM   #1

Newmar Gas coach hauling and tow capacity

Hi folks-

I am an owner of DSDP and my parents are really liking RVing with us. They are considering a Canyon Star or Bay Star.

My dad is asking about towing a boat that weights 6300lbs and the possibility of using a Hydra-Lift for his Can Am Spyder.

Is anyone using a gas coach to tow anything over 5000lbs and/or using a Hydra Lift for a motorcycle or golf cart?

I appreciate your views, consideration and any real world input you might have.

Thank you,

Justin
JETJDM79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2017, 05:25 PM   #2

Off hand I think you will exceed the capacity of the gas coaches. That is based on reading a lot of threads about towing heavy vehicles. At least part of the problem is that the gas units are mostly (all?) targeted at a maximum combined weight of 26,000 lbs to avoid upgraded drivers license requirements in many states. That is why you will see the "my buddy towed his race garage with car and 97 spare tires with no problem" type comments. So possible, maybe. Legal or smart, probably not.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:41 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Check out the brochures. They should tell you the towing and hitch capacity of each of the models you are interested in.

I would be reluctant to hang a Spyder (or any full size touring motorcycle) on the back of a gas coach.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:53 PM   #4

I have yet to see a gas coach with more than 5000# towing in my research. They might exist but I haven't seen one. I've noticed the 22,000# chassis generally are limited to 4000 lb towing (or rather a 4000 difference between GVWR and GCWR) and I'm sure that's to stay under 26K. I bet they can tow 5000# as easily as a 20,500# chassis.

5000 seems to be the magic number since they install hitches that are rated at 5000#. I'm pretty sure that and the 26K max are the limiting factors for the ratings. Do I think most gas coaches can handle more with the right hitch? Probably. But the stated numbers are the stated numbers.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:07 PM   #5

no, it wouldn't happen for a gas coach from any manufacturer, there is just not enough 'tow power', hitch capability, or enough left over available weight capacity after you stuff all you stuff into it...

even a compact diesel, such as my Palazzo, might have a 10,000lb hitch, but that doesn't mean you can connect 10,000lbs of vehicle to it, you might only have 3,500lb capacity after you, your family, your stuff, diesel, water, etc are loaded and ready to travel...

and we're not referring to tongue weight capacity, but TOW weight capacity...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:22 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
As memtioned the tow is limit to 5000# in most gas coach's the Workhouse chassis would be the latest chassis in most of the recent years.
With this link you can get all brochures and owners guides, TSB's and recalls on most gas coach's and DP's like yourself.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, newmar, tow