Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2018, 04:26 PM   #1

Newmar Installed Solar

Just curious...

Why do so few Newmar owners who special order their MH not order the Newmar Solar package?

There are so many threads on you all going to so much trouble to get all the proper parts etc to install solar. Why not let Newmar do it? And, at least you'll have the full factory support after.

DH found a show called Extreme RV and the first episode in all the DVR tapings was of Newmar! They showed how a King Aire was put together at the factory and the order included "$5000.00 of solar that the customer requested as a part of his custom package".

This show was taped in 2013 if I remember correctly.

However, this got me wondering...

Everyone seems to order the solar prep, why not let them put some panels up to start the process?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2018, 04:38 PM   #2
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogus View Post
Just curious...

Why do so few Newmar owners who special order their MH not order the Newmar Satellite package?

There are so many threads on you all going to so much trouble to get all the proper parts etc to install solar. Why not let Newmar do it? And, at least you'll have the full factory support after.

DH found a show called Extreme RV and the first episode in all the DVR tapings was of Newmar! They showed how a King Aire was put together at the factory and the order included "$5000.00 of solar that the customer requested as a part of his custom package".

This show was taped in 2013 if I remember correctly.

However, this got me wondering...

Everyone seems to order the solar prep, why not let them put some panels up to start the process?
I'm a bit confused. Are you asking about "satellite" prep or "solar" prep? Or, both? You seem to start out asking about one and then moving to the other.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:38 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Factory solar is typically overpriced and underpowered for dry camping. If intended for battery maintenance, then typically just overpriced.

Not am I fan of factory prep for solar either. Typically not of the desired wire size, wire routing, or number of desired pairs.

IMHO. YMMV.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:11 PM   #4

For our Ventana, the only solar panels available where the flexible panels at only 100 watts each. Glued to the roof, a pain to remove, and they were rated as terrible.

Did the solar prep option after talking with my 3rd party solar installer, who said for the system size we were going to, the solar prep was fine, and made it easier for him to install rather than HIM have to drill holes and run wires.
Logan Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:57 PM   #5

Oops!

Solar prep!

The Extreme RV episode showed a King Aire being built with a Solar package and the way it was worded on 5he show was it was an option and then was $5000.

Can I fix my post?
Old 05-24-2018, 06:59 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If ordering a coach you can have two solar preps installed.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:23 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I also looked at the solar panel option when buying my Ventana but found (with the help of some fellow IRV2ers) that you are better off buying better panels (not the stick-on) for less money. Especially if you do this yourself. I learned from others on the boards (NealC and C.Martin) as we installed our own systems of 1,440 Watts or more for about what Newmar wanted to charge for less than 1/3 of the wattage (400).

And the solar pre-wire is still a good way to go (my opinion) as running the wire after the unit is built would not be easy. It made my install much easier.

Hope this helps.
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:04 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You can look in the new Newmar search engine and come up with this information.
Search information found here.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:10 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
We got the 400-watt factory solar option. (I haven’t posted this yet, because everyone ridicules this so.) I had been looking at adding solar to our last coach for quite some time, even got a (really high) price. In the end I couldnt get comfortable doing it myself, and couldn’t find a reasonably-priced qualified installer.

Maybe the factory set-up is not the best value, but it seems to work and makes a big difference keeping the coach batteries charged. I’m happy Newmar is on the hook for the entire system, including warranty. After much looking and worrying, it was worth it to me for the turn-key nature of it.

When you’re spending this kind of money on a coach, including the cost of many other factory options, I’m happy with the trade-off.
WardSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:31 AM   #10

I also ordered the factory 4 panel 400 watt solar option. I got a 3 panel 300 watt result. Seems there was an Engineering change order for space reasons in January 2018 when you have Swm satellite. I ordered in Nov. 2017. I was never told. Note all the 2019 order listing shows 300 watt solar offered only. My local dealer is adding the extra 100 watt panel.

I also wanted enough wattage to keep even with all the storage background items being on. I don’t boondocks much and should be able to run generator every 3rd day.
Rdhplano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:22 AM   #11

Thank you all for the reply's.

We won't put any solar on the CS; when we do move up to a DP we do want the ability to boondock with some solar.

I've read threads that C.Martin and NealC put up and those are very impressive.

I don't know if DH and I have the ability to install solar ourselves. We're handy but I'm not sure we're that good. If we had to pay someone to install our thinking would be "why not the manufacturer"? You've all given us some stuff to think about, question and price out.

I've also looked at the blog of posters Wheelingit and was very impressed with the installer they used.

After seeing it on the show it just got me wondering why it isn't really talked about more here except as after market. If it's quality, I can understand the push to use outside companies.

I appreciate the feedback!
Old 05-25-2018, 07:02 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have to go into the Solar threads of DS Don's in his MOD & Repair section at the near bottom of QT's # 3 for detailed wiring and locations you will find for the DSDP coach and similar coach's.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdhplano View Post
I also ordered the factory 4 panel 400 watt solar option. I got a 3 panel 300 watt result.
This subject has been covered extensively. The Newmar factory option for solar is over priced and low performance compared to after market solutions. Low performance means the panels offered by Newmar have a low energy yield per square foot of coverage. Simply put, this option is sub par and out of character for the relatively high end appointments of the NA.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
This subject has been covered extensively. The Newmar factory option for solar is over priced and low performance compared to after market solutions. Low performance means the panels offered by Newmar have a low energy yield per square foot of coverage. Simply put, this option is sub par and out of character for the relatively high end appointments of the NA.
That's my take away...which is too bad and seemingly out of character (overall) for Newmar.

We will research other options and installers.

Tags
solar, newmar, led, install