Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2019, 03:30 PM   #1

Newmar interior screws?

We have a 2004 MADP. Newmar used square drive/Philips head self tapping screws to hold nearly everything together in the interior. Is there a technical description of those screws that would make it easy to find replacements? I use a #2 square drive bit on them but is there a better bit? Are the screws pretty much the same as Kreg screws?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2019, 03:40 PM   #2
dms

Newmar uses mostly "square Drive" pan head screws. They can be found at a Fastenal store, or Lowes, Ace, Home Depot, etc.

Pan head = rounded head
Flat = flat head.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:49 PM   #3

Square drive is called Robertson.....and use a #2 bit
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
"Square drive" is that Robertson you are talking about? If so, they are a Canadian thing. Invented by a guy named P.L.Robertson, or should I say he developed a system to make them.
For some reason they never really caught on other places, but they are used lots in Canada.
I have a 1928 Model A Ford Tudor that was made in Canada. It has all Robertson screws. The US made ones had flat head (slotted) screws.
Just some trivia for you.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:17 PM   #5

They are not Robertson nor usual square head or Philips. They are a combination Philips and square drive. You can use either a #2 square drive bit or a Philips head bit. The head is domed similar to a pan head and has a flat base. Maybe DPD2-2? Maxi-Lok? Kreg?

Hopefully this picture will help, but you may need to magnify it a little. Click image for larger version

Name:	CameraZOOM-20190307161158137.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	237199
Old 03-07-2019, 04:18 PM   #6

They're used because they are almost impossible to round out....most RV's are put together with screw guns.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:31 PM   #7

Here is another picture, this one is from a cabinet screw. I want to find out what they are called so I can order some more. Click image for larger version

Name:	CameraZOOM-20190307162811591.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	237200
Old 03-07-2019, 05:10 PM   #8
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
They are called "combination" or "combo" head screws...for obvious reasons. They are simply a Phillips and a square/Robertson drive superimposed on the same screw head. The "combo" head uses a #2 square drive bit...or, a #2 Phillips; either will work.

I suspect this screw head style is produced to facilitate sales in both the US and Canada where different styles prevail in each country.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:26 PM   #9

Most RV's appear to be using mostly #2 Robertson Square Drive screw heads now. Our 2003 Chinook uses them, our 2005 Cardinal/Americana 5th Wheel trailer uses them, and our 2008 Kountry Star uses them. But they aren't all the same -- not even in the same coach. Some are flat-head, some are round-top head, some are washer-head, some are combination #2 Robertson and #2 Philips -- in round top, washer-head, flat-head, etc.

And the threads aren't the same either. Some are fine thread, some are coarse. Coarse or fine threads "should" relate to the material they're being screwed into. Soft woods (pine, fir, poplar etc.) "should" have wide deep coarse threads, while hard woods (oak, maple, etc.) "should" have narrower thinner fine threads.

But in reality -- I think the installers just grab a handfull of whatever is handy or available at the time.

Also realize that a lot of the stuff inside your coach wasn't made by Newmar, but by various sub-contractors. So taking our "Pacific Cherrywood" desk/table for example. The screws holding the table/desk together are mostly flat-head #2 Robertson screws. But the screws fastening the desk/table to the floor are different because they were installed by Newmar.

I'm pretty sure I've run into a couple of #1 Robertson Drive screw heads also. And most of the screws in the metal parts of our basement storage compartments (door hinges, struts, etc.) are self-drilling "TEK" screws with #2 Philips pan heads.

If you're trying to minimize the number of tools you carry, good luck! I've also found that I had to buy a full set of Chapman Mfg.'s tiny narrow clearance right-angle tools and bits because no "regular" screwdrivers (including "Stubby") would allow me access to many screws -- Robertson and Philips). For example, working on the window valences can require the really short right-angle Chapman tools and bits.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
"Square drive" is that Robertson you are talking about? If so, they are a Canadian thing. Invented by a guy named P.L.Robertson, or should I say he developed a system to make them.
For some reason they never really caught on other places, but they are used lots in Canada.
I have a 1928 Model A Ford Tudor that was made in Canada. It has all Robertson screws. The US made ones had flat head (slotted) screws.
Just some trivia for you.
Happy Glamping.
To Remain Politicaly Correct,

The Phillips/square screw drive, also known as the Quadrex, Pozisquare screw drive, is a combination of the Phillips and Robertson screw drives. While a standard Phillips or Robertson tool can be used, there is also a dedicated tool for it that increases the surface area between the tool and the fastener so it can handle more torque.

Recex
The Recex drive system claims it offers the combined non-slip convenience of a Robertson drive during production assembly and Phillips for after market serviceability. The Phillips Screw Company offers both Phillips and Pozidriv combo heads with Robertson.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:11 PM   #11

There are about a zillion different varieties available on Amazon.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:15 PM   #12
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
To Remain Politicaly Correct,

The Phillips/square screw drive, also known as the Quadrex, Pozisquare screw drive, is a combination of the Phillips and Robertson screw drives. While a standard Phillips or Robertson tool can be used, there is also a dedicated tool for it that increases the surface area between the tool and the fastener so it can handle more torque.

Recex
The Recex drive system claims it offers the combined non-slip convenience of a Robertson drive during production assembly and Phillips for after market serviceability. The Phillips Screw Company offers both Phillips and Pozidriv combo heads with Robertson.
Interesting! A little research indicates that the "dedicated tool [bit]" you mentioned is frequently referred to as a "PSD2-2" or a "Unidrive" bit. Apparently, even some of the big-box stores carry them.

Learned something new today!

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:06 AM   #13

I would not replace a self tapping screw with another self tapper- the hole is already drilled right? Too many of my self tapping screws put in by the Newmar craftsmen could be removed with your bare hands. I've had to replace a few and chose to slightly upsize the fastener.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:09 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Interesting! A little research indicates that the "dedicated tool [bit]" you mentioned is frequently referred to as a "PSD2-2" or a "Unidrive" bit. Apparently, even some of the big-box stores carry them.

Learned something new today!

TJ
Me too and I just ordered a couple of those bits just to have.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FLSteve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior, newmar, scr