Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2017, 03:10 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar is resting on it's laurels!

In the two years that I've owned my Ventana (I bought it new), I've experienced quite a few problems. While some would argue that this is the nature of all motorhomes, or teething problems, it does not have to be this way! Most of these problems were the result of poor workmanship and/or cheap parts.

Prior to our purchase I had heard a lot about the quality of Newmar, and particularly it's Customer Service department.

I have contacted customer service several times over the past two years; while I found them to be generally helpful, and occasionally very helpful, recently their helpfulness and attitude has gotten poor. I have always had long wait times, but recently the waits have been very long. When I finally get through, they always seem rushed, and are always wanting to transfer me to a different person (aka, pass-the-buck). The fellow I spoke to today was just outright surly!

As I mentioned above, we've had lots of problems, but I would still say the overall quality of the coach is "good", workmanship is "ok" - probably better than most, which isn't saying a lot.

My take is that they are trying to grow too fast, and can't maintain the quality of construction, or service, that the company is/was famous for.

All in all, I'm disappointed in Newmar, and I don't think I would buy one again. However, who makes a better coach for under a million dollars??
MoHoWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2017, 04:05 PM   #2
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHoWill View Post
In the two years that I've owned my Ventana (I bought it new), I've experienced quite a few problems. While some would argue that this is the nature of all motorhomes, or teething problems, it does not have to be this way! Most of these problems were the result of poor workmanship and/or cheap parts.

Prior to our purchase I had heard a lot about the quality of Newmar, and particularly it's Customer Service department.

I have contacted customer service several times over the past two years; while I found them to be generally helpful, and occasionally very helpful, recently their helpfulness and attitude has gotten poor. I have always had long wait times, but recently the waits have been very long. When I finally get through, they always seem rushed, and are always wanting to transfer me to a different person (aka, pass-the-buck). The fellow I spoke to today was just outright surly!

As I mentioned above, we've had lots of problems, but I would still say the overall quality of the coach is "good", workmanship is "ok" - probably better than most, which isn't saying a lot.

My take is that they are trying to grow too fast, and can't maintain the quality of construction, or service, that the company is/was famous for.

All in all, I'm disappointed in Newmar, and I don't think I would buy one again. However, who makes a better coach for under a million dollars??

Tiffin.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:18 PM   #3

Illusion of Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHoWill View Post
In the two years that I've owned my Ventana (I bought it new), I've experienced quite a few problems. While some would argue that this is the nature of all motor homes, or teething problems, it does not have to be this way! Most of these problems were the result of poor workmanship and/or cheap parts.

I am on my second Newmar coach my first being a Ventana aptly nicknamed by us "the coach from hell". Quality was dreadful and repairs were numerous but 3 days at the factory got most everything straightened out. We decided to upgrade to a Dutch Star in 2016. Quality was slightly better but still the problems were numerous and we are back from our second trip to the factory for more repairs. The work they do after the fact is always better than the original coach probably because they learn from the consumer what the major problems are and know how to repair them.
Back to the Ventana. I carried a two page letter I sent to the President Matt Miller in my pocket to the Good Sam Rally in Phoenix. Since he never responded to the letter I sent. At the rally i spotted him and gave him the letter telling him I bought his product because of the quality claim. I was angry and I told him I thought the coach was built on a Monday morning by a couple of hung over guys at the plant. He was insulted and walked away from me. I was angry and he handled it badly. He could have told me that they would resolve any problems to smooth things over but his attitude was, in my mind, screw you! Luckily for him his warranty manager caught the conversation and sat me down and looked up my coach. He appeared to be shocked by the problems I was having and offered to bring me in for repairs and pay for fuel, something the President might have thought of saying or at least I would have handled it that way.
Back to the Dutch Star. That's when we decided to upgrade so we traded the Ventana for a Dutch 4369. Nice unit but we flooded before our first trip due to a bad connection for the Refrigerator Ice maker (the exact same thing happened to the Ventana). Our stairs would not deploy, our furnace had to be replaced, awning problems, water leaks in the bay, we got locked out due to a bad door latch assembly and had to break a bedroom window to get in and the list goes on and on. I can honestly say except for one female customer tech who knew nothing I have always had good response and helpful service from the people on the phone with special note to Spencer who really knows his stuff. You get to know the people reading the book and who really know the coaches. Unfortunately its pot luck who you get.
Back to your question about buying another Newmar. The other company I would consider is Entegra. I have a friend with a Anthem and he has similar problems. I monitor several of the forums and I find all companies have issues. The resolution is the important consideration and I think Newmar does a good job resolving most problems and many times even after warranty terminates.
I will probably stay with Newmar even if they are pumping more coaches out than ever because I believe they are more progressive than other companies and a better value than other companies and I have compared Entegra, Winnebago, Tiffin a d a couple of others.
Do I wish they would use better components, yes but I think it is the nature of the industry to cut costs and make money and it is at consumer's expense.
They push these coaches out without testing and therein lies the heart of the problem. My full wall hydraulic slide was sagging and supports had to be installed. These problems all found after the fact because I had one of the first 2016 coaches out.
I always tell my wife they should give me the first coach from every year to test because I can find the problems and often the solutions. But am I that crazy, I hope not since we now have most of the problems worked out, except for all the squeaks and rattles on concrete roads.
It's interesting to note the none of the Executives at Newmar CANNOT be reached by phone or Email. You always get the Customer service reps, phone reps. You could always reach Bob Tiffin by phone although I'm not sure about anymore.
Too many of us crazy oldsters buying these things now so it the good times for the industry which may explain their attitude.
If you're expecting a lot of responses to your post, don't. Most people I know with Newmar's want the illusion of Quality to remain to keep prices high for resale.
We will probably buy another in a year or so but I am not looking forward to sitting on hold for customer support for the repair process which usually takes a year or so. By the way, I think the wait times are far less the further up the coach lineup you go. I know I rarely wait long for a Dutch Star Rep. Hey maybe you should buy a King Aire and not have the wait?????
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:28 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had problems with our '02 DSDP, like overweight front axle so Newmar had Spartan replace the 12,000# axle with a 14,600# unit. The dealer had it for 113 days out of the first 305 days, then told me they had tried to call us to come pick it up while they waited for parts. That was a total lie as my phone records every number that calls, whether we answer or not and there we NO calls recorded.
Newmar did pay for the fuel from WA to Spartan, down to Nappanee and then home but only because WA lemon laws require it. I was gone a month from home to get it all done.
Anyway, we were very satisfied with how Newmar too care of the problems. And, even after 13 years was still the most trouble free unit we've ever had.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
[/COLOR]
Tiffin.
my tiffin has been wonderful....a couple of minor issues, but 17K of trouble free miles so far....and i've never had to go to red bay....there are factory approved warranty repair centers all around the country....the one i am using now, i am working on so that they can do work on my dutch star if/when it needs it, under warranty.......i'll be damned if i have to drive to nappanee every time i have some problems....

sometimes i think i am nuts trading it for another coach....but for me, it's about floorplan....i wish tiffin made a bath and a half bunk model on a steerable tag....

and they will, at some point, i am willing to bet....but i can't wait that long...i'm running out of time.....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:09 PM   #6

I hate to hear these stories as all manufactures have them. I have had 14 coaches all brands, entegra, tiffin, Fleetwood, Monaco and on and on. My Last 2 Newmars, London Aire, Mountain Aire have been just about trouble free and the best so far

Sometimes I wonder if its the day of the week they were made but who knows..
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:26 PM   #7
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
In any product line, there will always be a few that don't live up to expectations. And, there will be a few buyers whose expectations will never be met.

That said, my experience with Newmar has been quite the opposite from what has been portrayed above. Maybe I am just lucky; or, maybe my expectations are pretty low. Whatever the case, I have been very satisfied with Newmar and its products. YMMV
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
In any product line, there will always be a few that don't live up to expectations. And, there will be a few buyers whose expectations will never be met.

That said, my experience with Newmar has been quite the opposite from what has been portrayed above. Maybe I am just lucky; or, maybe my expectations are pretty low. Whatever the case, I have been very satisfied with Newmar and its products. YMMV
X4! With any coach there will always be some issues that crop up and Newmar has stepped up to work through any I have had. I have been more than pleased with the post delivery support from Newmar on both of our coaches. We also have developed very good relationships with some folks at Newmar and get their time and attention when needed.
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:24 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
[/COLOR]
Tiffin.
Ask the guys that have walls coming loose in the bath area
Old 07-11-2017, 05:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Ask the guys that have walls coming loose in the bath area
If we didn't own a Newmar it would likely be a Tiffin because I believe they make a good product. Having said that, we were at the local Tiffin repair shop last month and we were told that they have been busy towing coaches. He shared a story about a brand new Tiffin gas coach the new owner took delivery of and left the dealership. 25 miles into his trip he heard a noise so he pulled over and when he pulled over at the rest area, the battery tray fell out to the ground! The coach was not movable and had to be towed. They squeezed him in and 4 days later he had a new battery compartment welded with all new batteries.

Similar stories, where something breaks and a tow is needed, can be repeated with many brands for many different reasons. We are glad we own a Newmar because of the service they have given us.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:02 AM   #11

None of them are trouble free. Its what they do about the troubles.
If you don't think so just check the other owners forums....Tiffin and Entegra to be exact and see how many issues off the line they have. I know.... I had a Tiffin.
My experience with my 16 Dutchstar for over a year now has been exceptional including factory support and service.
BigDogSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogSolo View Post
None of them are trouble free. Its what they do about the troubles.
If you don't think so just check the other owners forums....Tiffin and Entegra to be exact and see how many issues off the line they have. I know.... I had a Tiffin.
My experience with my 16 Dutchstar for over a year now has been exceptional including factory support and service.
Agreed. I you are lumbering down some of the awful roads we travel on, at 30 to 60K lbs, there will be issues at some point.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:44 AM   #13

New Baystar owner here. I'm crossing my fingers, heading to Indiana in two weeks for some factory warranty work and hoping for a positive experience. My handful of phone conversations have been good.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:30 AM   #14

My theory is that the large increase in production & sales over the past few years and complaints of build quality in Newmars, Tiffins, et. al., are highly correlated if not causally related. What say you?
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar