Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
NEWMAR jack springs breaking!

REALLY, REALLY ... I have a 2006 Newmar Mountain Aire and in the last month I have had 3 of the jack springs BREAK (while extended)! I bought 4 new sets but just replaced 3, as I had had one spring on each of those 3 sets just break in half! Yesterday the 4th set had one spring break! REALLY? I have never met one person who has had A (none ... any .... one spring) break LOLOLOLOL.
toocantravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Must have been a bad batch for that year unusual for that many to brake at once.
Did they have a lot of rust possibly?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:38 PM   #3

Either bad heat treat or some kind of nick in the wire - maybe from an assembly process. Do you still have the parts? any ME can look at the failure under strong magnification and have a pretty good opinion of what went wrong.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:12 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Must have been a bad batch for that year unusual for that many to brake at once.
Did they have a lot of rust possibly?
Yes fairly rusty ... still amazes me that they all broke over a 2 week period and in the middle!
toocantravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:36 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Really strang as we still have the original straight springs on our DSDP. Almost 12 years on them and still working just fine.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:37 AM   #6

I can think of a couple os situations that might explain one or more springs breaking. Two weeks ago we camped in south Memphis and had freezing rain. The pads froze to the concrete and when I retracted, the pads were stuck and the rams did retract. This tore the springs loose but did not break them. This was on two pads. Took an hour or so to remount everything. I have had the pads break through the asphalt at a campsite if I did not use large blocks. I can see where this would possibly cause the same problem as with the ice.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:09 AM   #7

Our Newmar does not have springs. It's two way hydraulic, I believe. Is the springs more on diesel coaches, or does it depend on the brand or style of jacks? I never liked the looks of the springs, just funky looking and they usually look rusty. What do they put on a new Dutchstar now? Just curious and want to know.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:18 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
It's not a Newmar but we had one spring break on our MH. They are HWH jacks and readily available. Keeping my fingers crossed on the other three sets.

Has the MH been parked by the ocean or driven in salt treated snow country roads? That will help rust them.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE
Our Newmar does not have springs. It's two way hydraulic, I believe. Is the springs more on diesel coaches, or does it depend on the brand or style of jacks? I never liked the looks of the springs, just funky looking and they usually look rusty. What do they put on a new Dutchstar now? Just curious and want to know.
The DSDP is using single acting HWH jacks? Single acting requires the springs to retract the jack. Not sure why we don't see more double acting jacks on motorhomes.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar