Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2008, 02:53 AM   #1

From Elkhart Truth

Newmar Corp., maker of Class A motorhomes, let go about 100 workers from its facility in Nappanee, according to Mayor Larry Thompson. He said he talked with the company last week and learned it was reviewing its options and considering a layoff or a reduction in the work week to 30 hours.

"It was not a gloom-and-doom type of thing," Thompson said of his conversation with the RV maker. "It was just one of those things the RV industry has been through before."

Thompson said he had not talked to Newmar officials since but did hear about the downsizing Wednesday.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2008, 02:53 AM   #2

From Elkhart Truth

Newmar Corp., maker of Class A motorhomes, let go about 100 workers from its facility in Nappanee, according to Mayor Larry Thompson. He said he talked with the company last week and learned it was reviewing its options and considering a layoff or a reduction in the work week to 30 hours.

"It was not a gloom-and-doom type of thing," Thompson said of his conversation with the RV maker. "It was just one of those things the RV industry has been through before."

Thompson said he had not talked to Newmar officials since but did hear about the downsizing Wednesday.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:37 AM   #3

I wonder if the executives have cut their work week to 30 hours, and if their pay reflects the recent cut-back. That might reflect on whether there is a "gloom and doom" message from a spokesman for the RV maker.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:48 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I wonder if the executives have cut their work week to 30 hours......., </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I would HOPE they have not. They need to be working even longer hours, listening to dealers and consumers and trying to do whatever it takes to "earn" some additional business (orders) since that is the only way the talented workers can be kept working. Newmar does not build units on spec. If a dealer or retail customer does not order one, it won't be built. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:55 PM   #5

Anyone know how many people Newmar employs?

I assume that these 100 would be the least senior employees. If so, that MAY be beneficial to overall quality. However, it might also result in persons transferring to new jobs that they are not familiar with.

John
MT flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:30 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyone know how many people Newmar employs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Newmar USED to claim to employ around 925 total, obviously not ALL were in production. ED
Old 01-31-2008, 06:40 PM   #7

In September I was given a total payroll of just over 1,000. As a side note, I am in Oregon where Country Couch is manufactured and learned that they just recently let 450 of thei 1500 go. Sounds like everyone is tightening the belts.

The surprising thing for me is that I find myself hoping that all of the employees I have met are there when I go back. Visiting the plant makes it more personal.

Wife, 3 kids, and mother-in-law
Nathan Focht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:11 PM   #8

The South Bend Tribune reported there were 600 employes and they let go 20% of them. They also noted there may be more in the future.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:49 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The South Bend Tribune reported there were 600 employes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That sounds about right for the production employee count, and 20% would be 120, which is close to the number of layoffs being claimed elsewhere. ED
Old 02-01-2008, 01:02 PM   #10

I wonder if downsizing includes the owners selling their personal coaches or is it a coincidence?

The following coach is being advertised as a demo, but we saw it during our factory tour in early Nov and was told it belonged to one of the Millers. Don't recall which one.

http://www.rvonline.com/single-ad.as...SearchMethod=1

What feature did it have that I would like to have, but was told I can't get, not even as a special???? A built in coffeemaker.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

That's a Miller coach.... Matt has a new KADB.

Don't worry.... I didn't have the coffee maker either.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:51 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyone know how many people Newmar employs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Following is a partial cut & paste from an article published late today by RV BUSINESS:

Newmar, a privately held manufacturer of motorhomes and fifth-wheels in Nappanee, Ind., laid off 118 workers on Wednesday (Jan.30), the company confirmed in a press release.

Newmar's 905 employees were notified last week that a reduction in the work force, amounting to about 13%, would take place on Wednesday. "The future demand for RV products will affect Newmar's ability to rehire the employees that were affected ..." the management of Newmar, located on the west side of the southern Elkhart County community, said in a statement.

The rest of this particular RV BUSINESS article addresses "white collar" layoffs at Fleetwood's corporate offices in CA.

ED
Old 02-02-2008, 03:41 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
My first coach was an '04 Discovery. While it was a real POS, one of the coolest things was a built in coffee maker above the dinette. The cabinet was built around a basic coffee maker and a strap installed that kept the caraffe from falling out.

Not sure why it can't be done in any coach.

Next best thing would be an undercounter mounted coffee maker.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:24 AM   #14

Monaco also had lay offs in Wakarusa, around 200
employees. Travel Supreme shut down for a few days. Even Winnebago has lay offs, very unusual
for them.

Jeff Regan
2000 Dutch Star