RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #1

Newmar mud flap install

Trying to install a Newmar Essex mud flap. No instructions and it just doesn't look right. Is there a way to see a breakput of the part??

Aerbus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
I am sorry and do not what to seam rude but what is "breakput"?

87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #3

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Rockwood
I am sorry and do not what to seam rude but what is "breakput"?
Its a misspelling of break out or schematic would be my guess, could also be bracket.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #4

Good luck with that, I need to replace the flap on our 06 VDP which was hacked out around the tail pipe. Asked Newmar for the guidelines to cut around the pipe, got the $60.00 worth of "special" brackets and gathered a bunch of Google images. Wound up at the factory shortly thereafter and had them hang a new one.
teamwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #5

Just finnished replacing the mud flap on my 03 Dutchstar.
Had to take a hacksaw to the chains holding it up. Dismantled the assembly down to the "newmar" plate, the back up plate, the rubber flap and the 1 1/2" HSS frame.
Took the old flap to a wholesale place that sells bulk material. They matched up the type and thickness of the material and cut it to the overall outside dimentions. I had them make it 1" higher to allow for wear.
Then I laid the old flap on top of the new one and traced the top cut-out that fits around the exhaust pipe and tow hicth. Using my Dremel, I cut out the profile as marked.
The HSS frame was worn and bent in the center at the bottom from draggin on the ground going into aproaches etc., so I replaced it with a piece of 3" X 1 1/2" channel iron and welded four new pieces of 1 1/2" HSS uprights to the channel with new 3/8" chain on each side.
Reassembled the whole thing with new SS screws and nuts and re-installed it using two new 3/8" chain links to connect to the originals still welded to the frame.

Looks like new and will certainly outlast the original. It took me a day and a half and whole project cost under a 100 bucks.
Might be a little harder if one did not have access to a welder, chop saw etc.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #6

I hit an alligator last month, probably the Goodyear type, but the mud flap probably saved the front of my towed, but it was bent some during that act of valor. I too noticed it was attached with a welded chain. It is repairable, as only the angle iron reinforcement is bent. Small dent on the exhaust, but that will be easy. I am fortunate, as Mr Plasma cutter will do the hard work. Guess that mud flap is for more than mud! Don't you just love it when a piece of equipment does its job? I will reattach it with "D" rings.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
The HSS frame was worn and bent in the center at the bottom from draggin on the ground going into aproaches etc., so I replaced it with a piece of 3" X 1 1/2" channel iron and welded four new pieces of 1 1/2" HSS uprights to the channel with new 3/8" chain on each side.
Sounds well beefed up. Do your front wheels still sit on the ground? LOL
Old 06-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Sounds well beefed up. Do your front wheels still sit on the ground? LOL
No problem with the front end lifting but I am in the process of installing a Banks PowerPack to handle the extra weight. LOL

Tags
install, newmar