Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2014, 05:38 PM   #1

Newmar newbie

We are going to leave the trailer world and would like opinions and comments.
We are looking at Newmar coaches in the 33-35 diesel pusher range.
1. How do you feel about the quality of Newmar coaches?
2. Will a Cummins 6.7 ISB 350 HP have enough power to pull a tow vehicle?
We live in the Northwest and plan to travel the west.
I would really appreciate your input
thank you
badnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2014, 06:04 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I think that you'll find that your question is going to get on overwhelming from other Newmar owners. The general rule of thumb for a DP is 100lbs/1HP, so depending on how loaded the coach is you should be fine. I've owned 2 Newmar's and IMHO the quality and attention to detail is exceptional.

You didn't say if you're looking for new or used. If you're going to buy new then Newmar is one of the few builders that will allow you to make changes before it's built. Keep this forum posted on your progress and ask any questions about specific model/floorplans, there are a lot of good people here that'll help.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:13 PM   #3

I have a Newmar.....I had a problem with the inverter on a Sunday...Called the Cust Service number, a tech answered (from home) and walked me thru the solution......

Customer service like this is hard to find.......I value that......
sd1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:52 PM   #4

Welcome to iRV2.

The only ting I would caution you on , is not all transmissions are created equal , Including Allison transmissions. I haven't looked at the Newmar spec sheet , but some manufacturers are ordering the chassis with a bare minimum transmission package to save a few. $$
JMHO: I would want to see the coach equipped with a 3000 Series Allison and not the 2500 Series where 350 HP would have it maxed out.

Sorry wrong manual , and the one with the transmission specs is too big to post.
But you can visit
http://www.allisontransmission.com/
and look up the Motor home trans specs
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Allison trans manual.pdf (47.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 07-01-2014, 07:03 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum!
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:00 PM   #6

You will love Newmar They care about their product and their customers I will say that I test drove a 34' and a 38' diesel and the 38' drove a lot better than the 34'
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:03 PM   #7

We had a Newmar and absolutely loved.
kbgates315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:15 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have a Newmar and love it. The workmanship on it is second to none. Newmar is a class act that builds a class coach!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:16 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is our experience with Newmar: we are at the Newmar factory, to get end of warranty issues taken care of. Not only are the factory techs fixing what we knew needed fixing, they are going through the coach with a fine tooth comb and fixing things we didn't even know we're broken! That might not sound too extraordinary to most people, but it is. I retired with 30 years in customer service/support with a major US manufacturer......corporate policy in my company was to deny, deny, deny any hint of any problem in any product. It is VERY obvious that Newmar corporate policy is completely opposite, their policy is to fix what's wrong, no matter what.

Now, the bad side.....not all dealers follow that mindset, but the company itself does.....so much so that it blows me away. We intend on being here for for two days, but will end up staying 4 days to get everything done that the Newmar people decided needing fixing.

I am not saying that Newmar quality is not first class, because it is. The problems we have are minor and mostly cosmetic or appliance related, it's just that the people here really care.

I know that some folks will call me a "Newmar Fanboy" and that's ok, I can't argue with results. As I have said before, I would buy Newmar again, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Newmar to family and friends, and I haven't met anyone here who felt different. In fact, met a couple today who are in their 5th Newmar coach.....that's the kind of loyalty you can't fake.
Lee L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:45 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
Here is some reading for you and how to decide in what coach you may want.
Below that are the Hoot's threads and their decisions on their new coach's.
If your looking for a good used coach there are threads posting all the time of happy owners with used Newmars going back into the 1990's just look back in some of the pages of threads in the forum.
Here is everything Newmar and their web site.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:20 AM   #11

In 2010 we bought a 2000 Dutch Star diesel, and went fulltime. Since then we've been from Maine to Florida, Arizona to Alaska, and pretty much every state in between. This coach has the Cummins ISC rated at 315hp@ 2000rpm's. We've been over some pretty steep mountain passes pulling a 2009 Saturn Vue without a single problem. The steeper passes like Monarch in Colorado will slow us down, but we still got over it running at about 35mph. I have no fear going over any mountain pass with this coach. Anyway, keep in mind it's not HP, it's torque you want with a diesel.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:20 AM   #12

I love reading all these positive comments about Newmar! We're looking for our first Newmar too and have made arrangements to look at one next week. We've been drooling over it for a few weeks and can't wait to "kick the tires".
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:47 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
We left the Newmar factory a couple of days ago after being there for a few days. Had the factory tour and met some wonderful fellow Newmar owners. We thought we would be buying an alternate brand that we had looked into but once we saw and then experienced what Newmar had to offer we decided that they were the ones to go with. After a little more than one year with our coach we're not looking back. We made the right choice and we are extremely pleased with the quality and attention to customer service that we've experienced. The DW can't see us wanting anything more than the great coach that we have......I'm already dreaming about a 2015 diesel! Honestly, she's probably right but time will tell. We saw the new units at the factory and her eyes were sparkling!
Old 07-02-2014, 07:02 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi badnova,
Welcome to iRV2 and hopefully the Newmar family. There is not much I can add to what has already been posted. My Newmar is an 05 with 92K on it. It has been all over the lower 48 states (more than once). After getting past the usual new coach hiccups, the coach settled down to needing routine maintenance. Over time things do wear out and break. That is to be expected. The automotive part of the coach has been flawless.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, newmar