Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2007, 02:18 AM   #29
Administrator Emeritus

I'm sorry, but I simply don't see the fact that Newmar dropped from a three year warranty back to a two year warranty as reason enough to croak...
Every one of us is somewhat resistant to change, yet change sometimes is a necessary evil in business...
Ed's post does make some good points with respect to Newmar having too large a spread in the market...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2007, 03:59 AM   #30

One purpose of forums is to allow folks to share their thoughts and opinions. I believe it is very appropriate for people to share their negative thoughts without having to be told they can't bash the brand. I realize some are too proud to honestly share their impression of negative experiences. But it is worthy of discussion if the quality is noticeably degrading at the time when warranties are being reduced.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:20 AM   #31
Administrator Emeritus

Ken, I've had my share of negative experiences with the two Newmar products I've owned, it's not a secret I was towed THREE times in the Essex and I'm even encountering some issues with respect to vendor items on my top of the line LADB...
I sit here in Florida with an inoperative #1 AC, a tempermental KVH R6 and now for the third time my Oasis diesel burner is on the fritz, even after having a brand new unit installed in Nappanee.

Even having said that, I'm still not throwing the baby out with the bath water since these things happen...
My Winnebago Vectra was NEVER right, from the fact I had to take it to Forest City to have it painted, to the ever present electrical issues.
Prior to that I owned a Fleetwood fiver and then a Carriage fiver....Don't get me started on the Fleetwood fiver and suprisingly we had very little issues with the Carri-Lite.
No one on this web site will ever deter you from posting your negative experiences with ANY brand, the only thing we do not allow is out and out brand "wars" as they really don't accomplish anything.
I've been told personally by both Newmar and Winnebago manufacturer reps that they expect the negative posts and they welcome reading them.
Contrary to popular belief, they DO read this forum as I've had the content of posts brought up in several conversations when at their facilities...

Keep on posting, we appreciate your input.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:41 AM   #32

Ken, I don't think anyone is saying there is any bashing here going on. My comment with referrence to bashing was that Newmar's drop from the so called top 10 did not refer to this relating to a quality/policy issue but a quantity per month. And like Bob, we have all had issues. Nothing near a couple of friends of mine have with their new Monoco units, but that's no reason to bash Monoco.

Ken, I think you will agree after your C. Drive goes out to all of the other manufactuers. You will see whole new issues not even related, but blamed, on your component. Newmar does do a good job, however the market is what it is.

Peter
Old 05-25-2007, 05:12 AM   #33

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't think I have anything against Newmar </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Jeff! I am glad to hear that. Why Newmar has dropped in Market Share is a good question. Maybe it is a lack of good dealers in certain areas. Here in NJ, they had Scott's in Lakewood (Newmar dropped them because of horrible service), Whitehorse RV in South Jersey also no longer Newmar Dealer. We have to go 3 hours to Penn. for a dealer. (Tom Schaeffer's) Southeast Florida has no Newmar dealer. There are a lot of areas not covered. Maybe that has a lot to do with it. Everyone is talking about Tiffin? Go park at Lazy Days for a few days and listen to how mad the Tiffen owners are about poor service conditions at Lazy Days. Maybe Tiffin has picked up market share because of how hard Lazy Days push their product. Walk through some of the Tiffen products at Lazy Days, then go look at the new Newmar's. Not even close. Newmar will not sell to Lazy Days because of their poor service record. Just a thought. Paul
Old 05-25-2007, 05:36 AM   #34

Good point, Paul. It's funny you mentioned that. My dealer was also cancelled recently. Certainly not on a service issue as they have a great facility. This results in a reduction of POP (point of purchase). You have seen this and I. I wonder how wide spead this is in other areas in the country.

Peter
Old 05-25-2007, 06:04 AM   #35

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
I'm sorry, but I simply don't see the fact that Newmar dropped from a three year warranty back to a two year warranty as reason enough to croak...
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob,

It is worth noting that the 2006 warranty was one year on the house below Essex. It's a matter of record that Newmar had a disasterous 2006 model year. I think there's some cause and
effect there, although the market share slide
started prior to that.

I am happy that Newmar has added a five year structural warranty recently. This is something
I lobbied for when the 3/50 was dropped.

Jeff Regan
2000 DSDP
Old 05-25-2007, 06:07 AM   #36

I can agree with Paul on the "lack of good dealers". My first experience was when I purchased the last Newmar product from Scott's Motorcoach in Lakewood, NJ. What a horrible experience...not the coach but the dealer. I finally called Newmar who said they were dropping Scott's. I went to the factory and they fixed my problems...It ended up a great coach- 2004 DSDP 4009. Thanks to this forum and others when it came time to buy my new coach I was aware of several dealers with very good reputations. I purchased my new 2007 DSDP 4304 from Lee's RV City with the factory pick-up...It was a great experience. Jack
Old 05-25-2007, 06:12 AM   #37

Regarding "cancelled" Newmar dealers, I submit there is a cause and effect at work here. While
it is possible that Newmar may have pulled the
line from a dealer or two, this is the exception
to the rule. Normally it's the dealer that drops the line.

If Newmar has some large geographical holes in their dealer network, the logical conclusion would seem to be that the line is not as sought after as it once was. Inevitably, this is what happens when a builder loses market share.

Jeff Regan
2000 DSDP
Old 05-25-2007, 06:12 AM   #38

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Maybe Tiffin has picked up market share because of how hard Lazy Days push their product. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
PAUL: Methinks you give LD too much credit. I know they are the second largest dealership in the country, but I doubt a single location dealer can make any manufacturer have a 33% gain in market share. I understand LD is Tiffin's largest customer, but think you will find that Tiffin owners are very vocal about how well Tiffin takes care of its customers. Much like the Newmar owners USED to be-almost fanatically brand loyal.

BOB: I think you will find Newmar's warranty to be only one year-unless you spend over half a million! ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:30 AM   #39
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Methinks you give LD too much credit. I know they are the second largest dealership in the country </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who's the largest?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:37 AM   #40

Giant RV claims to be the largest-in terms of unit sales (for the second year in a row). HERE is a link to their website claiming 865 units more than LD.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:37 AM   #41

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by edgray:

BOB: I think you will find Newmar's warranty to be only one year-unless you spend over half a million! ED </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ed,

MSRP on an '08 MADP is under $500K and has the
2 year house warranty.

Dirk,

Giant RV in So Cal is the largest dealer with
six locations and last I heard, second largest
Newmar dealer.

Jeff Regan
2000 DSDP
Old 05-25-2007, 06:52 AM   #42

Jeff: thanks for the correction. I thought only Essex & UP qualified for 2 years.

Not to highjack this Newmar thread, but here is a more complete explaination about the varoius dealers, compliments of RV Business:

RV Business
Friday, April 13, 2007

Giant RV, with six California locations, led all dealerships in unit sales for 2006, according to data from Grand Rapids, Mich., marketing firm Statistical Surveys Inc.

The retailer sold 4,098 units, garnering 1.8% of national sales in the 31 dealer states to edge out Seffner, Fla.-based Lazydays RV Center Inc. at 1.4%.

"We sell the top-ranked brands of the highest quality, provide very competitive pricing due to our volume buying power, offer full service and parts departments and employ a wonderful knowledgeable staff that is committed to providing a top quality RV experience to our customers," said Giant RV owner Bob Barouti.

Rounding out the top five retailers in 2006 unit sales were California-based Mike Thompson RV, Michigan dealer General RV Center and Stiers RV, also based in California.

ED