RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2019, 02:07 PM   #1

Newmar or Tiffin?

DW and I are looking to upgrade from 2018 Jayco Gas Class A to a used Newmar or Tiffin DP. Thought for sure we'd go Newmar because of our Hoosier roots and Comfort Drive Steering. DW fell in love with a Tiffin that "checks all of the boxes". Any Newmar owners that previously had Tiffin's out there? Will ask same on Tiffin forum. Thanks!

JBIRD1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2019, 02:35 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We came from Tiffin (Had a 38QBA Ref). We built a new 2017 DS4310 3 years ago. All I can say is the construction (especially insulation) is night & day different. Also as you mentioned Newmar has comfort Drive and Tiffin does not. On windy days I would get worn out driving 4-5 hours in our Tiffin where as I can drive our Newmar & not even realize how windy it is until getting out after a days drive. I would say try to drive each on a windy day as well as sit in one on a rainy day or where the ACís are running and youíll notice a big difference. We have loved our Dutch Star so much we are about to build another new 2020!

Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:52 PM   #3

I agree totally with the previous post from Brian. We bought a 2017 Dutch Star after having a 2012 Allegro Bus. The insulation is a biggy as well as the comfort drive. I might add that Newmar's quality of build is much better than Tiffin's. I like Tiffin but having had both I would choose Newmar for quality alone.
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:31 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Like the other two above my post, I also came from a Tiffin. I had a 2014 Allegro Bus 45LP for 6 years and, after 3 years of research comparing the Tiffin, Entegra, and Newmar, I just bought a 2020 Newmar Dutch Star 4369. I agree that the details of the Newmar build are superior to the Tiffin. The Tiffin does have great floor plans, and more "Sizzle" than the Newmar. But in crawling all around my new coach, I really like the build of the Newmar. After having both, I would have a hard time going back to a Tiffin right now. Just open the rear engine cover of a Tiffin and a Newmar, check out the steel super structure, and how the house above is attached and supported off the frame. Also, Tiffin is the only one of the 3 that I mentioned that uses the SchwinTek slide system for their rear 2 slides. I cringed every time I used them, multiple failures costing me a couple of thousand dollars. My service writer said he was still seeing issues on the new coaches. My experience only, others may be significantly different!
tqqest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:13 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tqqest View Post
Also, Tiffin is the only one of the 3 that I mentioned that uses the SchwinTek slide system for their rear 2 slides. I cringed every time I used them, multiple failures costing me a couple of thousand dollars. My service writer said he was still seeing issues on the new coaches. My experience only, others may be significantly different!
Wanted to second the comment on the Schwintek slides. We had ours break on our previously owned THOR in the first year. I wouldn't touch ANYTHING with Schwintek slides.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:37 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi JBIRD1960,
My post will focus on longevity. My Newmar is 15 years old. Still tight as a drum. No leaks. Looks so good just bought a lot in a RV resort that has a 12 year maximum! It still shines. Normal wear and tear maintenance only. Follow the book with annual maintenance items. Use the coach from hot 90 degree summers to 0 degree winters. Never a problem.

Newmar all the way for me.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:44 AM   #7

Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
From my signature you can derive what my vote is. We looked at Tiffin, Entegra, Winnebago, Rev and one of the things that hit home is service.
If you have a Tiffin that is several years old (5 years? not sure exact age) Tiffin will not welcome you in Red Bay. Newmar will work on ANY Newmar at ANY age.
For some repairs that is huge.

Good luck on your search.
Johninar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:47 AM   #8

We initially looked for a used Tiffin as our first choice after deciding on our first DP for full time use. It was a close call between Newmar and Tiffin, however we have two friends that have Tiffin busses and they have had very good luck with them.

In the end we could not locate the right used Tiffin or Newmar. In the end it came down to buying what we thought was the highest quality and most "bang for the buck" coach new.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:21 AM   #9

Try posting in Tiffin owners forum and see whom went from Newmar to Tiffin also I would think.
I do know from what I know being a short time newmar owner that comfort drive is a big tipping point and that Tiffin owners have ask me how much I like it...
Old 11-07-2019, 09:24 AM   #10

I love my comfort drive. We came from a 38' gas coach that on windy days was like a thrill ride at an amusement park!

I only drove one other DP that did not have comfort drive when we were looking, and that was a 2 year old Entegra. I think there was something wrong with the front end because it actually drove as bad as my gasser.

Last week our friends (Tiffin bus) and us came from the mountains in eastern TN to western TN. I followed him the whole travel day. His bus is just under 45' actual length (tag) and mine is just under 44' actual length (tag). His weighs about 10,000 pounds more. We both pull long enclosed trailers with cars and motorcycles inside. Watching his coach all day it drove down the road just as straight and as easily as mine did.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:50 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We are on our 3rd used Newmar and are so happy that we started with Newmar. We looked at many Tiffin models each time we bought again and without a
doubt the quality difference is night and day. Trim pieces on the Newmar are fastened more firmly, weather and noise insulation is much better especially in the basement, quality of cabinetry is unparalleled. While the Newmar slideouts have had their share of issues, Newmar was the innovator of this system and I found them to be much more sound and mechanically tight than those we tried in the Tiffin models. While you will spend more time living in your Coach than driving it ( so pick the floor plan that best suits you) driving both models will settle the issue quickly. As mentioned Comfort Steer is without a doubt the best innovation in the industry from a driving perspective. Not sure what your price point is but for $150k and lower you will find the older Newmar's far superior to any other coach if equal age and mileage. Good luck with your search.
Kountry 2SUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:01 PM   #12

We had a 2007 Tiffin Zephyr for a couple of years. We took it to Naples, FL in March a few years ago and had to park with the windshield facing the sun. Even with the insulated drapes closed in the windshield, the 3 A/C's could barely keep up. Finally had to move it for the balance of our visit. Then, while in central Illinois one night during a thunder storm we couldn't hear the front TV due to rain. After this, we began looking at Newmar's. Their insullation is superior from the storage bays on up. This plus Comfort Drive sold us. Our Zephyr was beautiful, but we are much happier with our Newmar. .......Enjoy the search!
Old 11-07-2019, 12:14 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Newmar or Tiffin?

JBird - You didnít mention just which Newmar you and the DW had in mind. But if you are looking at a Dutch Star and want to stay with a 40 footer, as opposed to a 43 or 37, the DS is the only coach on the market with a 40 foot length, a tag axle, a side radiator, Independent Front Suspension, Comfort Drive, an escape DOOR with ladder and all tile floor.

ALL STANDARD!

Except for the Mountain Aire.

There is a reason the DS is Newmarís best selling coach and itís the value of the total package.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:50 PM   #14
BnB

We owned a 2008 Tiffin Phaeton, traded it for our current 2017 Canyon Star... No comparison, No regrets.

BnB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, tiffin