Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2017, 07:53 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
newmar says they only build "ordered" coaches....or "sold" coaches.....whatever parlance you want to use....

i kinda laugh at that, because that includes coaches that are "sold" to a dealer.....so with the excitement of the 2018 model year, being 50 yrs for the company and whatnot, and the reasonable economy and strong stock market, with interest rates remaining low, and retirees pulling the trigger on coaches, and other demographic groups buying/trading up, the dealers are looking to build up some inventory to sell....as lead times for an order will be a turn off to many...they will buy off the lot and not wait...so if they can't find a newmar they'll go buy a tiffin or entegra or whatever other brand they can find that meets their needs....

and the dealers are also buying up order slots ahead of fall camping shows....

think about the hershey show coming up in about a month...the dealer that represents newmar there (RV one) prolly bought up a bunch of order slots in the production chain, expecting to sell X number of coaches at the show, with their "show special" prices....those are now "sold" coaches in the production chain for newmar, and if they can't sell them all, they will take them as inventory....so this pushes out delivery times for someone not ordering from RV one at the hershey show....even though these units are not "sold" to a customer, they are "sold" to a dealer...

it's a game...limit supply and demand often increases....now, newmar has a hot, quality product, that certainly helps...but again, it's a game the way they spin it......

next spring there will be many 2018 coaches on the dealer lots....just like this spring there was many 2017's on dealer's lots (and some lots still have many 2017's, some even a few 2016's kicking around).....if you're willing to compromise on colors / options, there will be deals out there....heck, there are 2018's for sale on dealer lots now...and if you are willing/able to pay, you can buy one.....just don't expect too large of a discount....yet....

Great points. It is true that the hot market has caused dealers to ramp up or be left behind...again a great year for Newmar
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #16

I'm assuming RVOne (Hershey) and North Trail (Tampa) have already placed there orders based on last year plus an educated guess.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:57 PM   #17

Oh how I remember the last time Manufacturers had a 9 month backlog - Just a few years later most were out of Business.

Just be careful - when RV sales start to slump put your money in the Bank.

JMHO,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Oh how I remember the last time Manufacturers had a 9 month backlog - Just a few years later most were out of Business.

Just be careful - when RV sales start to slump put your money in the Bank.

JMHO,

You really must be kidding! Have you heard about the '08/09' recession? It was caused by junk bonds and real estate mortgage issues, nothing to do with the RV industry!

I would not judge the economy by watching the RV spike or slump!

I understand what I think your direction was, but that one ain't the way.

Peter
Old 08-18-2017, 08:04 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
You really must be kidding! Have you heard about the '08/09' recession? It was caused by junk bonds and real estate mortgage issues, nothing to do with the RV industry!

I would not judge the economy by watching the RV spike or slump!

I understand what I think your direction was, but that one ain't the way.

Peter

I believe he was saying that when the economy go up so do RV Sales, ( as they did in 06) prior to the bottom dropping out, and when the economy gets bad RV's slow way down to your point in 08/09
Old 08-18-2017, 08:28 PM   #20

Wonder what Newmar's quality control will be like considering they already know everything is sold for 2018?
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
I believe he was saying that when the economy go up so do RV Sales, ( as they did in 06) prior to the bottom dropping out, and when the economy gets bad RV's slow way down to your point in 08/09
Thanks Stuart W. for your post. I certainly meant no slam. I think I understand his point and do not want to take that way. Business' fail not usually by the economy, but by poor management. The economy forecasting and corporate adjustments to survive are why the CEO's get the big buck$.

It may not be thought of as right, or wrong, for that matter, but it's the way it is.

Peter
Old 08-18-2017, 10:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
New to the forum and new to Newmar. Working with a dealer looking at either purchasing a spec 2018 New Aire 3343 or ordering one to be built.

Dealer says that Newmar is nearly sold out of 2018 positions and that by placing an order today I can expect delivery in late Spring of 2018. I note several folks have recently posted that they have placed an order. Is this the backlog currently being experienced by everyone placing an order for a Newmar coach?
According to our dealer, Newmar has orders (dealer or customer) through at least early 2018. He told us Newmar was telling him to order for next spring now, which is a lot sooner than usual. I assume he's done so.

As for when you might get a coach, as was mentioned earlier Newmar only builds what is ordered (again, dealer or customer). Dealers place orders for coaches to fill their lots. When a customer wants to place an order rather than buy a unit off the lot, the dealer can swap the customer's order for one of their spec units.

I can't see any reason a dealer wouldn't want to do that. Why order a unit that might sit on their lot for months when they can swap in a coach that's already sold? Might be because they'd rather see a unit already on the lot get sold and telling a potential customer they can't have their order until next spring might do the trick. I'd press the dealer or talk to another one. I know some of the larger dealers have already placed orders for hundreds of coaches, many not to be delivered until winter or spring. I'm sure they could swap one out for a customer order.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:14 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McMartin View Post
According to our dealer, Newmar has orders (dealer or customer) through at least early 2018. He told us Newmar was telling him to order for next spring now, which is a lot sooner than usual. I assume he's done so.

As for when you might get a coach, as was mentioned earlier Newmar only builds what is ordered (again, dealer or customer). Dealers place orders for coaches to fill their lots. When a customer wants to place an order rather than buy a unit off the lot, the dealer can swap the customer's order for one of their spec units.

I can't see any reason a dealer wouldn't want to do that. Why order a unit that might sit on their lot for months when they can swap in a coach that's already sold? Might be because they'd rather see a unit already on the lot get sold and telling a potential customer they can't have their order until next spring might do the trick. I'd press the dealer or talk to another one. I know some of the larger dealers have already placed orders for hundreds of coaches, many not to be delivered until winter or spring. I'm sure they could swap one out for a customer order.

True , and I did just that (assumed a dealer order) , it still is a 4 month project. The other thing to consider is that there are the "I wouldn't purchase anything but a Newmar buyer" and then there is the "I'm not sure what brand I want buyer". Dealers need to keep some inventory for the undecided buyer and the impulse buyer.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:15 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
True , and I did just that (assumed a dealer order) , it still is a 4 month project. The other thing to consider is that there are the "I wouldn't purchase anything but a Newmar buyer" and then there is the "I'm not sure what brand I want buyer". Dealers need to keep some inventory for the undecided buyer and the impulse buyer.

No awning on this window or the small size
Old 08-19-2017, 09:41 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Keep in mind that there are still over 400 new 2017 coaches on dealers lots too.
dxg0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:41 AM   #26

Currently 452 2017 diesel and gas on RVTrader alone. Is there another place to see an inventory?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:35 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxg0001 View Post
Keep in mind that there are still over 400 new 2017 coaches on dealers lots too.

I'm not doubting you , but every large dealer I have searched at may have maybe 5 2017 Dutch stars or less listed. I have not searched gas at all
Old 08-19-2017, 03:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxg0001 View Post
And at least 26 leftover 2016 diesels, let alone gas. One wonders if they'd take a 50% offer

Tags
newmar