Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2008, 08:12 AM   #1

Of interest to most Newmar DP owners and perhaps those contemplating buying one is the Comfort Drive steering aid. Here's an article covering some of the workings and applications. Check it out Here

Also, go ahead and score it 1 to 5 stars at the bottom.

Peter
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2008, 08:12 AM   #2

Of interest to most Newmar DP owners and perhaps those contemplating buying one is the Comfort Drive steering aid. Here's an article covering some of the workings and applications. Check it out Here

Also, go ahead and score it 1 to 5 stars at the bottom.

Peter
Old 04-21-2008, 04:42 AM   #3

lug, that pic in your column says it all. Great shot, great piece...

Maybe a Surgeon General Warning would be good too, "Use of Comfort Drive will DECREASE heart rate and blood pressure!"

Cheers..
Old 04-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Say hello to LugNut!!

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:49 PM   #5

You know, Jeff is right. The photos seem to speak for themselves about CD. These pic's were not staged. This is doing 64 MPH while passing a truck on the right side and being passed by a truck on the left side. The amount of hands-on is the same at 75 MPH with or without winds.
Thanks for posting it Bob.

Peter
Old 04-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #6

I will say up front that I am all for innovation and anything that makes things safer I am all for but I have to say, my coach is just not that hard to drive in those same conditions. I just don't feel my coach is a hand full and I am usually going right at 70MPH. I pull a 24 foot V nose car trailer a lot as well and stability is basically the same. I really should go drive some other coaches and see if my coach is better handeling than most others of the same age...

FWIW.

Jeff

Spartan Chassis MM
Gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:29 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good comments Gasser and welcome to the Newmar forum and irv2.
After doing some upgrades with my gasser I feel the same way driving down the highway.
Haven't had MH in driveway for over a month and took it on a spin yesterday while at sons and it sure welcomed the ride.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:19 AM   #8

Referencing the usefulness of the efforts control: I use it when my lower back gets stiff and I need to stop and stretch, but I don't. (Oh, come on. Neither do you!) I just lean up and put my elbows on the wheel. The problem is that with the light efforts of a ColumnDrive, it doesn't feel comfortable, so I turn it to full heavy. When I get the kinks out, I can lean back, turn the efforts down, and keep moving.

One person I know turns his heavier when the wind starts gusting, making it easier to hold on center. Another one turns his lighter in the wind gusts, making it easier to correct. They're both right because it works for them. By giving the driver control, he can make it right for him at that moment, and change it as the needs change.

I guess it's Personal Comfort Drive.

Ken
Old 04-22-2008, 05:53 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gasser:
I will say up front that I am all for innovation and anything that makes things safer I am all for but I have to say, my coach is just not that hard to drive in those same conditions. I just don't feel my coach is a hand full and I am usually going right at 70MPH. I pull a 24 foot V nose car trailer a lot as well and stability is basically the same. I really should go drive some other coaches and see if my coach is better handeling than most others of the same age...

FWIW.

Jeff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Similiar report here-driving absoutlely no effort with the Mid-Engine(seldom use more than one hand on the wheel and absolutely no movement from wind/trucks). Now our old Bounder-that was a different story.

Just drove our Suburban the same trip we take with the coach and the coach handled much, much better!
Old 04-22-2008, 06:48 AM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">efforts control </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The "official" name is hereby noted for the little twisty, turning, thingamajig, whatchamacallit, giddygotch like knob.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:45 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Must roger Jeff's (DAV5942) comment. Sunday I drove my Motorhome 250 miles south to the service center, on Monday drove my toad (93 Nissan 4WD PU) home over the same route. Half way home I was wishing I was in the MH rather than the truck. The after effects of the drive were completely different than after the Sunday drive. CD is a pleasure, with or without the "twisty, turning, thingamajig, whatchamacallit, giddygotch" knob.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote