RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandS
I'm a little surprised at this whole thread's tone. In case you all haven't noticed....we have a "free enterprise" system in this country which allows one and all to set prices for their goods and services however they see fit. Granted there are instances of gouging but the neat thing is.....there is always someplace else to get what you need and god bless the internet to that end. Bottom line.....If you don't like the price, get it somewhere else. RV Surplus sells the latches on my rig for $20.00 each so if I need one, that's where I'll go.
I see nothing wrong with the tone of these comments. Please permit people to express themselves freely. We are all mature enough to do discern what we can use versus what we cannot use from posted comments.

RV4Me4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2010, 03:22 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hauls View Post
newmar has to stop stealing from customers?
Is that a question or a statement. Granted the prices are high but is it stealing when you exchange money for a product? The problem is we do not know where Newmar aquires all the parts used in our rigs, so we look to Newmar for replacement parts. Most parts are cheaper when you eliminate "middlemen" and buy from a supplier. How do you find suppliers? If you are reading this you already know, this weswbite has a wealth of information and users who will be happy to help you out of a jamb. Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS.

2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:49 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV4Me4Life View Post
I see nothing wrong with the tone of these comments. Please permit people to express themselves freely.
Wasn't aware that anything I said related to people expressing themselves freely. I merely stated my opinion that the tone of the thread was a little rough.......saying a good company like Newmar is "raping us" and "stealing" from us is a little strong IMHO.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandS View Post
Wasn't aware that anything I said related to people expressing themselves freely. I merely stated my opinion that the tone of the thread was a little rough.......saying a good company like Newmar is "raping us" and "stealing" from us is a little strong IMHO.
I do not agree with referring to this as "stealing". However 400% markup is a raping, and with that I think we can all agree. Enough said, problem solved! I found the source and they even arrived today from Trimark. I didn't order them overnight or anything, I guess Im just lucky enough to be in a delivery zone close enough to their warehouse.

Thanks to those who helped, and hopefully the info we all posted will help someone else in a similar situation later on down the road.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:17 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
One of the reasons Newmar charges as much as is does to customers is they feel that the dealers are their biggest buyer of parts and if they sell the parts at the same price to the public their dealers will get hurt. That's Newmars take on the part prices.
Now lets look at it this way, if I go to the dealer for a part, I may look at the Newmars on the lot and buy one. Bottom line parts $2-3 dollars in profit. New rig Thousands of dollars in profit.
NEWMAR is not in the Parts business.
And that is IMHO how I look at it.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:41 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
The parts people at my dealership also comment that newmar prices are extremely high and will order from another source everytime they can. I believe the problem is that Newmar owners are very loyal to Newmar, I am and most others are as well. However when you see the price Newmar charges for parts and you know the cost from other sources it make one think that Newmar does not have the same type of loyality to their customers. This is the one area where Newmar does not meet my expectations. When it come to parts pricing I am also of the opinion that Newmar is raping the customer.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:50 AM   #21

Wink who is raping who

i know this is an old post but io feel compelled to answer,, in the retail business, newmar has to take care of its customers,, but who are their biggest customer?,, how many newmars have you bought from them directly,, 1 maybe 2 at the most,, their biggest customer is their dealers,, they buy many (hundreds) of motorhomes from them,, so if newmar sold the public parts at a price as low as dealers, why would anyone go tyo their dealers to buy parts?,, unless you are a wholsale dealer you can expect to pay MSRP from the manufacturer as a protection for their biggest customers,, the dealers,, most manufacturers will not even sell to the public at all, so feel fortunate that newmar will do that even if it is a msrp prices,, bottom line is they are a wholsale manufacturer who takes care of their dealers by not selling directly to the public at wholesale prices , that way free enterprise is alive and well in the newmar circle,, do you think walmart is selling at wholesale prices to the public,, nooo,, the suppliers or the manufacturers have to agree not to sell to the public in order to supply walmart,, welcome to free enterprise,, just my thoughts,, i like newmar that is why i own one, but i do shop around for prices on almost anything,, and here in the usa everyone has that option, to buy or not to buy ,, be happy ,, enjoy life,, a 165 dollar latch is still cheap as compared to the cost of a winnabago ha ha ha just kidding,,
Old 12-25-2010, 06:56 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintblend View Post
i know this is an old post but io feel compelled to answer,, in the retail business, newmar has to take care of its customers,, but who are their biggest customer?,, how many newmars have you bought from them directly,, 1 maybe 2 at the most,, their biggest customer is their dealers,, they buy many (hundreds) of motorhomes from them,, so if newmar sold the public parts at a price as low as dealers, why would anyone go tyo their dealers to buy parts?,, unless you are a wholsale dealer you can expect to pay MSRP from the manufacturer as a protection for their biggest customers,, the dealers,, most manufacturers will not even sell to the public at all, so feel fortunate that newmar will do that even if it is a msrp prices,, bottom line is they are a wholsale manufacturer who takes care of their dealers by not selling directly to the public at wholesale prices , that way free enterprise is alive and well in the newmar circle,, do you think walmart is selling at wholesale prices to the public,, nooo,, the suppliers or the manufacturers have to agree not to sell to the public in order to supply walmart,, welcome to free enterprise,, just my thoughts,, i like newmar that is why i own one, but i do shop around for prices on almost anything,, and here in the usa everyone has that option, to buy or not to buy ,, be happy ,, enjoy life,, a 165 dollar latch is still cheap as compared to the cost of a winnabago ha ha ha just kidding,,
Renden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:33 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
QUESTION? How many of you have spoke or wrote to NEWMAR how you feel about their pricing?
I have and was told by Matt Miller that they would look into why a set of entry steps from Newmar cost $765.00 plus labor when I could go to the mgf in Goshin and pay $545.00 installed.
Oh by the way he and the Board of Newmar Corp. did not understand why there was that big of a difference in price.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:57 AM   #24

If the intent is to protect dealers then why wasn't I just referred onto someone within the dealer network? It makes zero sense to engage in the costs of having a parts department if your intent is not to sell parts. To say that any manufacturer is protecting it's dealer network by charging outrageous prices is simply flawed logic.

Using that same scenario as described in several other respondents, You're saying it's ok for the participating dealers in the network not to make a sale provided we (the manufacturer) rape the consumer on a 400% markup? Again.. flawed logic.

Please don't misunderstand me, I am NOT against profit - it's not a dirty word in my book. However there are boundaries where I wave the flag, and 400% markup is definitely well outside my comfort zone.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #25

easy now,, just think about it

let me answer your first question,, the manufacturer is providing a customer service to you, however they are using their MSRP, ...they cannot say oh, you can get this a lot cheaper at john smiths dealership,, especially if john jones has a dealership just down the street,, ,, they have to be neutral, again we are talking about the manufacturer,, taking care of their dealers,, why would anyone invest millions of dollars to be a dealer knowing the manufacturer will sell to the general public at the same price as they sell to the dealer,,, logic,,,, they have a parts department to primarely send parts to their dealers,, again you have to take everything into consideration,, for example if there is not a dealer close to where you live,, then it would be nice to be able to buy from the manufacturer even at inflated prices,, where does the manufacturer draw the line,, there has to be a msrp for everyone to work off of,, how close to that msrp is up to each dealership to decide,, this is the logic that is used in almost all manufacturers ;;;for example try to go to GE manufacturer and buy a refrigerator,, not gonna happen, go to Whirlpool and buy a washing machine,, aint gonna happen,,,, as a consumer i would only buy from the manufacturer if i could not find it cheaper elswhere,, if you go to a car dealership, do you expect to pay MSRP,,, no you don't, because they are a dealer in competition with other dealers, watch the commercials,, if you go directly to most car manufacturer you will have to pay MSRP,, an inflated price.. same as with rv dealers,, in auto dealers there is a 3 tier pricing even for parts,, (1) dealer prices for other dealers,(2) wholesale for garages and business mechanics, and (3) for the consumer,, guess what price is the highest,, you are right the consumer,, you have to look at things from differant views,, what if you were a newmar dealer and you find out the manufacturer is selling to the general public at your cost or just slightly above , you would be upset,, the true profit comes from parts and accessories sales after the purchase of the rv,, that is where the big profit is.. so again we are agreeing but are looking at things from a differant view,, if you own a RV or a boat or motorcycle,, or a jet ski or any other recreational vehicle you can expect to pay inflated prices for any parts and accessories,, that is life,, get used to it or don't buy a recreational vehicle,, do i like paying inflated prices ,,absolutly not,, but will i pay,, if i need it i have no choice but to pay,,,if i can't find it elsewhere,, so we can agree to be disagreeable thats what makes it great to live in a free country,, we have options,, i may not agree with every aspect of the free enterprise system, but until; someone comes up with a better system we will have to live with it,, don't get mad at the manufacturer get mad at competing dealers who charge msrp,, when they do have the option to change,, and another thing you cannot rape a willing person,, ,,,, you have the choice to pay or not,,, that my friend is not rape,, that is choice,,,,,
Old 12-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Just some thoughts IMO this type of pricing debacle is pretty common occurrence, not just limited to Newmar or the motorhome business. For instance you can go to the BMW dealership to buy a gallon of BMW synthetic motor oil, comes in a nice grey container stamped with BMW logo, or you can go to the Napa Auto parts store to buy a gallon of Castrol synthetic motor oil in a nice white container with green and red accents for a considerably cheaper price. Same oil, your choice! How many times have we been to the local Lowes, or Home Depot, store picked up something out of the bin that was priced at XXX, in the same bin is the same part by the same manufacturer priced at YYY? Which one do you chose? Happens all the time when you buy your fuel, your not paying what the dealers cost was when he purchased it plus his profit, your paying for what it would cost him to replace the fuel your pumping at todays cost plus his profit. The cost of a 100 parts for one company, is considerably more than it is to a different company the buys a 1000 of the identical part to the identical specs. The motorhome manufacturer in todays envirnoment is by no means a high volume purchaser, so parts are going to be more expensive to him. Are Newmar parts expensive, probably, are they over charging, maybe. They are allowing owners to buy directly as a service, which has its costs, it is not like going down to Lowes for something, when they stock they stock 2 of an item not 200 or 2000! Would I expect to pay the same price for a part from Newmar that has had 2 of them in stock for the last 12 months that I get from the manufacturer that has a warehouse full them waiting to be bought? Just some thoughts.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #27

what you say is true, we as consumers just need to be smart enough to shop around,, sometimes though we are not comparing apples to apples and with that we need to be careful,, sometimes it is not the quanity but the quality of the part,, we need to consider inventory, cost of replacing the item, , etc,, it is easy to get upset and sling accusations, but as consumers we need to educate ourselves,, we may not agree or even like it.... but it is us that has to deal with it in the way we know best,, thanks
Old 12-26-2010, 06:27 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Protecting the dealer excuse is BS.. If that was hte case, then it would be done the same as Ford or GM.. you call, they refer you to your nearest dealer.

Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote