RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #29

This may come as a suprise to you but,, " YOU CANNOT BUY PARTS DIRECTLY FROM GM OR FORD",, if you don't believe me, just try and see,, they have no choice but to direct you to a dealer,,, but you have the option of aftermarket parts,, Autozone, NAPA, Advance Auto, O'Rileys, Pep Boys, etc, etc, etc,, that is what Newmar does,, if you call and ask for a price on a part , that is what you get,, if you do not know where your closest dealer is,, then ask them,, don't get upset with them if they give you a price on a part you requested,,,, believe it or not some people don't care what the price is if they need the part,, they call and order it,, is newmar suppose to quiz each caller that asks for a part price,, nnnooooo,, so again educate yourself as a consumer before you buy,, and believe me,, taking care of their dealers is a priority,, without them they have nothing,, and yes I know without the end user (customer) they have nothing,, that is why the balance is so delicate between, manafacturer,,distribituor,,and consumer,,, have you tried to buy parts at other rv manufacturers????? same deal or most will not even sell directly to the consumer,, call and find out,,,, so actually newmar is going beyond what most manufacturers do,, they will sell to consumers but it does come at MSRP,, I understand wholesale and retail and manufacturers,, why,,, because i r one,, and everyday i deal directly with New Car Dealers as well as the Consumers, and that is no bs ,,,,,,, and another thing,, Gulfstream,, the manufacturer of your motorhome will NOT sell parts directly to the consumer,, you Have to go through a service center ,, just like GM and Ford,, don't get upest with me i am just having some fun,, but it is true they will not sell to consumers

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2010, 09:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintblend View Post
...so again educate yourself as a consumer before you buy
I did educate myself.

(A) I asked specifically if a dealer would have that item. I was told probably not since it was a non-stocked, special order item, and that they probably could not be located at any dealers and that the original part had been superseded with this new part #.

(B) I asked specifically who the manufacturer of the new part # was so that I could attempt to find them in stock somewhere. I was told the manufacturer was unknown.

It was only by luck and circumstance that I was googling around and found a picture of the identical part listed in Newmar's parts website.

Myth #1 - This is not an uncommon part, nor special order.

Myth #2 - It's in stock by the hundreds at the manufacturer (Trimark) and still in use by dozens of Service Body manufacturers, and fabricators today. Ordered on Tuesday, had them on Thursday.

Please don't try to "spin" a 400% markup on a silly latch as being acceptable to me, it insults my intelligence. Bottom line is if you don't mind paying 400% more for your parts, then fine, pay it. I however will not.

Nonetheless this thread has wandered off topic. I originally posted to see if anyone knew where to source these at, and with some great help from others on here I have found them.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #31

Commercial Member

I can't help but think that the parts person at Newmar must have made a mistake. Yes, many dealers will sell for less than Newmar's parts prices, but on a small item like this, the difference would typically be less than $20.

I will see if I can find out what the story is on the latch. Newmar is fairly new to quoting parts prices to customers and many long-time employees are doing double-duty. Sounds like human error to me. Lee
Old 12-26-2010, 09:47 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
This may come as a suprise to you but,, " YOU CANNOT BUY PARTS DIRECTLY FROM GM OR FORD",, if you don't believe me, just try and see,, they have no choice but to direct you to a dealer,,, but you have the option of aftermarket parts,, Autozone, NAPA, Advance Auto, O'Rileys, Pep Boys, etc, etc, etc,, that is what Newmar does,, if you call and ask for a price on a part , that is what you get,, if you do not know where your closest dealer is,, then ask them,, don't get upset with them if they give you a price on a part you requested,,,, believe it or not some people don't care what the price is if they need the part,, they call and order it,, is newmar suppose to quiz each caller that asks for a part price,, nnnooooo,, so again educate yourself as a consumer before you buy,, and believe me,, taking care of their dealers is a priority,, without them they have nothing,, and yes I know without the end user (customer) they have nothing,, that is why the balance is so delicate between, manafacturer,,distribituor,,and consumer,,, have you tried to buy parts at other rv manufacturers????? same deal or most will not even sell directly to the consumer,, call and find out,,,, so actually newmar is going beyond what most manufacturers do,, they will sell to consumers but it does come at MSRP,, I understand wholesale and retail and manufacturers,, why,,, because i r one,, and everyday i deal directly with New Car Dealers as well as the Consumers, and that is no bs ,,,,,,, and another thing,, Gulfstream,, the manufacturer of your motorhome will NOT sell parts directly to the consumer,, you Have to go through a service center ,, just like GM and Ford,, don't get upest with me i am just having some fun,, but it is true they will not sell to consumers
So, you agree then...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:44 AM   #33

i am not arguing on the price of the part that was quoted,, chances were it was a mistake,, people make mistakes,, i was just saying you do not need to get upset and make outrageous insults about a manufacturer who quoted a price on a part you requested,, rape and stealing,, come on , what about mistake or human error or just plain ole over priced,, there is always at least two sides to a story,, when you just post one side it can lead to misunderstandings or even outright slander,, more often than not upon investigation, there is a reason for the action, ,, i am mearly trying to show that there is always another side to the story and that as a consumer educate yourself and make a choice and that is what you did ,, we have that option,, and in your myth (1 and 2) the part you requested is no longer used by the manufacturer you called,,, , and has not been used by them for some time, and the part is not stocked by them,, so to them it would be an uncommon part and a special order,,, they do not stock that part,,,,, so as a service to you they went out of their way to find it and when they did you got upset at the price,, did you ever stop to think that the price newmar was having to pay for just one of these parts may have been excessive to start with and when they added their markup on it that is why it was so high,,, just a thought,,,again often times there is a reasonable answer for their actions,, i am not trying to spin a twist on anything,, i am simply trying to help all who read these post to keep an open mind , just because you had a bad experiance with newmar does not mean they are thieves and rapists,, manufacturers do not have the habit of making consumers mad, especially over a small part,, so lets just get along and help each other out ,, keep our minds open because it makes for a better day,, ,,
Old 12-27-2010, 07:47 AM   #34

i agree that we can disagree
Old 12-28-2010, 08:08 PM   #35

Commercial Member

I have forwarded the information to Newmar and they will be looking into it with their supplier. Lee
Old 12-29-2010, 05:15 AM   #36
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Thanks Lee!

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:00 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Please don't try to "spin" a 400% markup on a silly latch as being acceptable to me, it insults my intelligence. Bottom line is if you don't mind paying 400% more for your parts, then fine, pay it. I however will not.
4 times markup is not uncommon. I found this to be a common rate in the manufacturer parts/service departments I've worked for -- medical, electronics, and heavy manufacturing.

There are other costs associated with a part than just the material cost -- stocking, picking, shipping, support, etc.

Whether all these associated costs adds up to 4 times markup is certainly debatable.

And if you can get the parts cheaper -- go for it. More power to you.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #38
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I tend to agree the original topic has gone off course, everyone has made their point and we can move on.
Parts prices have always been found cheaper if we hunt for them just make sure it can stand up to the original part or maybe better for the same use.
Lee said it may have been a miss quote and I tend to agree.
I'll make note of this price part and any others that will save everyone some money and thank who ever has come up with the better price for it.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:50 PM   #39

UPDATE: New latches arrived from Trimark. Upon removing the original backplates they had the name Trimark cast right into them, so Trimark was the OEM afterall.

The new Latches were an absolute 100% dimensionally exact replacement and required nothing more than getting out my torx bits. So my final info for the archives is:

OEM: ($165.00/ea as of 12/30/10)
Newmar Baggage Door/Basement Door Slam Latch Assmy Part #00648
(Trimark Industries)

OEM Exact Replacement: ($38.00/ea as of 12/30/10)
Trimark Industries Slam Latch Assmy Part #060-0201
Quick Search | TriMark Corporation
http://www.trimarkcorp.com/en/media/...0-0201_web.jpg
**Make SURE to get the inside flush plate and striker plate for them as well.
The original inside plate nor the strike plate works with the new Latches - the holes do not align.**
Old 12-30-2010, 01:16 PM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
let me answer your first question,, the manufacturer is providing a customer service to you, however they are using their MSRP, ...they cannot say oh, you can get this a lot cheaper at john smiths dealership,, especially if john jones has a dealership just down the street,, ,, they have to be neutral, again we are talking about the manufacturer,, taking care of their dealers,, why would anyone invest millions of dollars to be a dealer knowing the manufacturer will sell to the general public at the same price as they sell to the dealer,,, logic,,,, they have a parts department to primarely send parts to their dealers,, again you have to take everything into consideration,, for example if there is not a dealer close to where you live,, then it would be nice to be able to buy from the manufacturer even at inflated prices,, where does the manufacturer draw the line,, there has to be a msrp for everyone to work off of,, how close to that msrp is up to each dealership to decide,, this is the logic that is used in almost all manufacturers ;;;for example try to go to GE manufacturer and buy a refrigerator,, not gonna happen, go to Whirlpool and buy a washing machine,, aint gonna happen,,,, as a consumer i would only buy from the manufacturer if i could not find it cheaper elswhere,, if you go to a car dealership, do you expect to pay MSRP,,, no you don't, because they are a dealer in competition with other dealers, watch the commercials,, if you go directly to most car manufacturer you will have to pay MSRP,, an inflated price.. same as with rv dealers,, in auto dealers there is a 3 tier pricing even for parts,, (1) dealer prices for other dealers,(2) wholesale for garages and business mechanics, and (3) for the consumer,, guess what price is the highest,, you are right the consumer,, you have to look at things from differant views,, what if you were a newmar dealer and you find out the manufacturer is selling to the general public at your cost or just slightly above , you would be upset,, the true profit comes from parts and accessories sales after the purchase of the rv,, that is where the big profit is.. so again we are agreeing but are looking at things from a differant view,, if you own a RV or a boat or motorcycle,, or a jet ski or any other recreational vehicle you can expect to pay inflated prices for any parts and accessories,, that is life,, get used to it or don't buy a recreational vehicle,, do i like paying inflated prices ,,absolutly not,, but will i pay,, if i need it i have no choice but to pay,,,if i can't find it elsewhere,, so we can agree to be disagreeable thats what makes it great to live in a free country,, we have options,, i may not agree with every aspect of the free enterprise system, but until; someone comes up with a better system we will have to live with it,, don't get mad at the manufacturer get mad at competing dealers who charge msrp,, when they do have the option to change,, and another thing you cannot rape a willing person,, ,,,, you have the choice to pay or not,,, that my friend is not rape,, that is choice,,,,,
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #41
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the link 94. Question can you change the key locks from old to new so you can use the master key?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:22 PM   #42

Good Question.. I'm not sure, I didn't try. I ordered these with locks and keyed alike since the key cylinders were already giving me fits long before the internal mechanisms started getting hard to operate. I already ordered 10 more from them today to replace on all my other doors, and those are also all being keyed the same as these.