RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2017, 03:14 PM   #15

Obi-Wan said to Luke, "Things can never stay the same".
No matter, I still prefer the beat of my own drummer.

Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2017, 03:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
NO Transmission to leak fluid or break either!
No tranny - how would that work? Would have to have some type of torque converter, right? Please forgive my power train ignorance.

Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
No tranny - how would that work? Would have to have some type of torque converter, right? Please forgive my power train ignorance.

In an electric motor torque is only limited by how much current you can pump into the motor before you let the smoke out.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post

Most of the electric vehicles today have direct drive.....meaning the rotation of the motor matches the rotation of the driveshaft or in the case of the new semi-truck - each wheel has its own motor.

An electric motor has the same torque even at zero rpm, and it can rev to 15,000 rpm ....so no gears are needed.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #19

This IS the future. Just not sure how distant.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:08 PM   #20

The technology is here, the only major issue is the batteries. And you don't want to know what they cost to replace! The next issue would be where do you go to charge it? It's not going to plug into 110 volts!
L Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:43 PM   #21

The technology is here in other forms. Not if you include useable battery for a 44' RV. Eventually the battery cost should come down and I would expect you can charge on 110v or 220 with a 50@ setup. I try to drive under 300 mikes a day. The range wouldn't be an issue for me. The price??? Well that's the million $ question!
Old 11-20-2017, 08:18 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Batteries in electric cars have a life expectancy and I have read the Tesla battery bank replacements in their cars are north of $12k. I can only imagine what batteries will cost in this beast to replace. lol It does look cool though!
NH Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Dave View Post
Batteries in electric cars have a life expectancy and I have read the Tesla battery bank replacements in their cars are north of $12k. I can only imagine what batteries will cost in this beast to replace. lol It does look cool though!

Yes, but money is saved every year through reduced maintenance and repair costs. No oil or filter changes. No belts or hoses or radiators to break. No tuneups, sparkplugs, air dryers, water pumps, emission controls, fuel pumps, etc.....
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:55 PM   #24

In 06/07 Escape hybrids, battery's were warranty for 8 years. They were 1st generation. msrp at that time was 12k. I'm thinking deduct a Cummins and an Allison and add the batteries and electric motor/drive may be a smaller increase than expected, but this will still be 5-10 years down the road.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Yes, but money is saved every year through reduced maintenance and repair costs. No oil or filter changes. No belts or hoses or radiators to break. No tuneups, sparkplugs, air dryers, water pumps, emission controls, fuel pumps, etc.....
But if you can't afford to even ask how much what's the point? And the savings is based on miles driven. Will an RV owner ever see the savings?

It certainly a cool idea but so distant in the future with regards to recreational vehicles you'll need a perpetual calendar to guess a the year for the first consumer model is in dealerships.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:12 PM   #26

I'm sure cooling systems for batteries and a/c, air pumps/driers for brakes will still be needed . I wouldn't expect regeneration braking to suffice as adequate for the weight. Fuel itself would be a huge saving though as well as oil etc,
Old 11-22-2017, 11:02 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Are the electric coaches going to have propane on board for heating and cooking? Batteries and propane tank - there goes the last of the underbelly storage.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:53 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Are the electric coaches going to have propane on board for heating and cooking? Batteries and propane tank - there goes the last of the underbelly storage.
Why would they need propane when you have "all electric" coaches today already?

Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar