RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2015, 11:12 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Newmar Sony Receiver on screen display and calibration Specific to Newmar w HD pkg.

Hello All,
I have a question about the Sony receiver in Newmar Coaches. I am asking here because my question has to do with the factory install of the HD Pkg. I am trying to make adjustments on the AV receiver and it says that you can display the AV settings on the "TV" screen? I have not found out how to do this. (Receiver settings On Screen Display)

In order for "any" sound to broadcast via the 5.1 Surround the AV has to be set to "TV", which works for audio output, but this setting does not allow for "on Screen" display of the receiver. Has anyone been able to access the display, if so how?

I was attempting to recalibrate the "sound-field" using the auto calibration microphone, but it does not seem to be working. I plug in the mic, and the receiver emits the tones, and then it just keep asking to : "repeat - Y/N".

Again I am asking in the forum, because the "RV-Systems Tech" forum would not specifically address the factory install in Newmar Coaches. Hopefully someone is familiar.

Thanks in advance

LCDRAKAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2015, 12:05 PM   #2

I have the HD package but haven't fooled around with on screen display of receiver menu. I own a couple model up Sony A/V receiver at home. It seems like there is a button on the remote you push for on-screen display. The trick is that there is a sizable delay before the image comes on the screen. I will chase down my home remote and take a look at it. Plus I am going to the motorhome this afternoon and I will check out that remote as well. In the middle of unwinding from a 2,500 mile jaunt through CA and AZ so it little stacked up at the moment.

Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:10 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
The short answer is that you can't do it the way Newmar wires things up. The long, and hopefully more positive, answer is that it is possible to rewire so that you can. There is a good thread from earlier this year that discusses this. I pretty much did what NewmarPusher suggested in that thread and everything is working pretty well, including being able to do the speaker calibration.
Here's a link to the thread: Weird AV settings
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:58 PM   #4

It helps if you are an electronics engineer to understand all this. Get the Sony manual from the Sony website, and then follow the info on the thread Ron referred to. That system gets complicated because of satellite inputs and multiple TV's. I did a much simpler version because I do not have satellite and only am interested in the front TV.
Good luck.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 01:49 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYRon View Post
The short answer is that you can't do it the way Newmar wires things up. The long, and hopefully more positive, answer is that it is possible to rewire so that you can. There is a good thread from earlier this year that discusses this. I pretty much did what NewmarPusher suggested in that thread and everything is working pretty well, including being able to do the speaker calibration.
Thank you for the link, I searched the "QT's", prior to posting my lengthy question, but I couldn't locate the thread. I will review it. Was it difficult to "rewire" the setup? Are you more satisfied with the setup after rewiring? How long did it take you?

It sounds decent, the way that Newmar set it up, but it I am sure that it could sound better and it certainly would be nice to use the remote and receiver as intended by Sony.

You'd think Sony would have a Rep in Nappanee on retainer to help the Newmar team. Again thanks because this is what I was looking for.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:57 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDRAKAllen View Post
Thank you for the link, I searched the "QT's", prior to posting my lengthy question, but I couldn't locate the thread. I will review it. Was it difficult to "rewire" the setup? Are you more satisfied with the setup after rewiring? How long did it take you?

It sounds decent, the way that Newmar set it up, but it I am sure that it could sound better and it certainly would be nice to use the remote and receiver as intended by Sony.

You'd think Sony would have a Rep in Nappanee on retainer to help the Newmar team. Again thanks because this is what I was looking for.
If you read through that thread in detail you'll see that there are a couple of ways to accomplish the rewiring. Newmarpusher's way provides the greatest functionality Sony intended, I think. To accomplish that requires you to identify the HDMI "Arc" input on your TV, which requires some detective work. I couldn't actually see the back of the TV, so had to do it by reading the manual very carefully and logic out which input it was. Luckily, it was one already wired up, so I could accomplish everything back at the AV cabinet. Newmarpusher wasn't so lucky, so he had to get access to the TV back to rewire. Yes, I'm pretty happy with the result, but you have to be ready to read the manuals pretty well, because you have to change some settings. Doesn't help that Newmar didn't provide the full manual for the Sony receiver (can get that online). Took me an hour or two to rewire, and another several hours of research and setup. Hardest part for me was working through the audio/video cabinet and the velcro. Good luck!
Old 11-26-2015, 07:01 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread, but I have an issue that just popped up that is somewhat relevant. I can't control the volume of the surround sound with the TVs muted anymore. When I want to crank the receiver volume for a movie, the TV speakers have to increase as well, creating an undesirable imbalance in the surround sound. I found where you can fix the volume of the TV through the menu, but then I have to go back and change to variable when I don't want surround sound anymore. I can't figure how this happened. Previously, I could just mute the TVs and crank the receiver volume. Anyone had this happen?
Old 11-26-2015, 07:10 AM   #8

Will, it sounds as if your setup is not wired correctly. If you had the HDMI upgrade it appears your cable is not connected to the ARC input on the TV. When correctly connected the TV automatically turns on the receiver and mutes the TV speakers. But first go through your TV menu settings to see if that function has been turned off.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:53 PM   #9
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:

I'm the OP that WYRon is referring to. I'd suggest reading that thread and taking a look at my wiring diagram towards the end.

The key is to use HDMI/ARC instead of the analog connections Newmar used. You will already have two HDMI connections from the front AV cabinet to the main tv. After "rewiring", you'll only need one. Just make sure it's plugged into the ARC-HDMI input on the tv. I had to reach in through the window from the outside to move one of my cables.

You will find that the system works much better when connected up properly. The tv remote will control the receiver volume, the receiver will turn on and off with the TV, etc. You'll get better sound and also be able to get 5.1 surround for Netflix and other TV apps.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:38 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
If you read through that thread in detail you'll see that there are a couple of ways to accomplish the rewiring. Newmarpusher's way provides the greatest functionality Sony intended, I think. To accomplish that requires you to identify the HDMI "Arc" input on your TV, which requires some detective work. I couldn't actually see the back of the TV, so had to do it by reading the manual very carefully and logic out which input it was. Luckily, it was one already wired up, so I could accomplish everything back at the AV cabinet. Newmarpusher wasn't so lucky, so he had to get access to the TV back to rewire. Yes, I'm pretty happy with the result, but you have to be ready to read the manuals pretty well, because you have to change some settings. Doesn't help that Newmar didn't provide the full manual for the Sony receiver (can get that online). Took me an hour or two to rewire, and another several hours of research and setup. Hardest part for me was working through the audio/video cabinet and the velcro. Good luck!

Thank you for your reply. I thought that my Receiver Manual was missing, I'll have to locate it online. Do you have the link for the receiver manual? I don't mind reading it at all, in fact I'd love to read it. I would actually like a "hard copy" to study, highlight and read as a novel.

I plan to do the rewiring and obtain full functionality. I am glad that I've asked the question, because I was sure there had to be a way to "fix" this.

What is the "ARC"? Is that an acronym? As soon as I gain access to the manual, I'll be all over it. I am eager to undertake this mission .
Old 11-27-2015, 12:21 AM   #11
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Thank you for your reply. I thought that my Receiver Manual was missing, I'll have to locate it online. Do you have the link for the receiver manual? I don't mind reading it at all, in fact I'd love to read it. I would actually like a "hard copy" to study, highlight and read as a novel.

I plan to do the rewiring and obtain full functionality. I am glad that I've asked the question, because I was sure there had to be a way to "fix" this.

What is the "ARC"? Is that an acronym? As soon as I gain access to the manual, I'll be all over it. I am eager to undertake this mission .

ARC = Audio Return Channel

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...ed-works-care/

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:43 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

Here's a link to the online manual: https://docs.sony.com/release/STR-DH...0_guide_en.pdf

Worth the effort to do, I think. You actually get 5.1 sound when you should, and generally only need one remote. One thing I found after I did the speaker calibration was a bad hum from the subwoofer. I needed to turn down the subwoofer adjustment to get rid of that...I suspect the problem may have something to do with it being placed under the sink in my coach. By the way, there's a separate manual available for that as well which Newmar didn't provide!

Tags
newmar, scr