Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #1

Newmar Steps Up Again

We had to get another appointment at the Mother Ship this year due to my driver's seat's fabric failing. Of course we are way past the 1 year warranty but Newmar didn't hesitate and agreed to replace the whole chair for free.

Got a call from service because they discovered that Flexsteel no longer had the braiding color that was used when they built our chair. They promised that the material would be the exact same color but the braiding would not be darker, but match the chair color instead.

I told Carl (service rep) that it would look funny if both front chairs were not the exact same and he agreed so they are replacing both during our visit at no cost to us.

Some may say that these fabrics should not have failed with 2 years use anyway. I would agree with that. The way I look at it is Newmar didn't make these chairs but purchased them from an outside vendor. Not sure if Flexsteel or Newmar is eating the cost of two replacement chairs.

I do appreciate the fact that Newmar is making sure we don't have to pay though.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2019, 09:45 AM   #2

That is great customer service! Glad to here it.
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Happy to hear this yet stunned to hear this, I thought these fabric issues were over with. Now to wonder if mine will do this. I also recently got a sheep skin seat cover which I'm not sure I'm thrilled with but I'm also concerned of what it may do to the seat material so I'm going to monitor closely. Since it's over 200 degrees and 800% humidity here in VA I'll use it for now.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #4

We are here at service center and there are at least 4 coaches having furniture replaced. Most the furniture has material coming off the seats and armrest.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:19 AM   #5

As full timers I use my driver's seat constantly. When camped in the evening it is where I sit to eat and watch TV if we are "home". My DW has a spot on the couch.

Our issue was initially the passenger seat had some stitching on the bottom cushion that was coming apart. That was last year and Newmar had Flexsteel recover the bottom.

This year (18 months in coach) is when we noticed minor flaking on bottom of my driver's side seat cushion. Newmar said they were no longer having Flexsteel recovering but replacing entire seats instead.

Couch, loveseat, or booth material shows no signs of material flaking and all looks brand new.

I would hope any coach under 5 or 6 years old that is having this material fail would be able to get it replaced for free or at the very least a huge discounted price.

Neil, I would be watching closely.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:33 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Something else to keep a eye on ...
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:10 AM   #7

Does Newmar sell seat covers for any of the models? I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to at least cover the bottom and arms of my driver's seat once they replace it.

Neil, you mentioned sheep skin cover? Did you buy that at a truck stop or skin the darn thing yourself?
Old 07-20-2019, 08:10 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
This came up in a Facebook feed for the Ventana Owners Group so I bought one for the driver's seat. Most rave about them, I'm still struggling to like it. It's a different feel and I take a while to adjust to things.

https://blondiespitstop.com/sheepskin-seat-covers/
Old 07-20-2019, 08:40 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
This came up in a Facebook feed for the Ventana Owners Group so I bought one for the driver's seat. Most rave about them, I'm still struggling to like it. It's a different feel and I take a while to adjust to things.

https://blondiespitstop.com/sheepskin-seat-covers/
Interesting...my only concern would be any movement of the cover against the seat material...would it cause wear? Didn’t know what the back of the sheepskin covers was made of and how soft.
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:45 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpatty View Post
Interesting...my only concern would be any movement of the cover against the seat material...would it cause wear? Didn’t know what the back of the sheepskin covers was made of and how soft.

That is a concern but I don’t think jeans are any better. This may actually limit the wear as you’re not sliding across the material with these in place. Who knows. We’re all concerned of the flexsteel material regardless. If it’s going to happen it will and it seems Newmar typically handles it.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:00 AM   #11

Our first London Aire (97) had real leather seating from Flexsteel which was very thick and was outstanding for 7 years and 100K miles. The 04 Essex came with Villa seating (Ultraleather) which within 1 year started looking bad. The fit and the finish just wasn't like real leather. Villa is used MA on up but would prefer Flexsteel real leather.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:24 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When they had all those seat material issues, I believe back in 2016, Newmar admitted to spec'ing a cheaper material. You would think after that, it would be more cost effective to spec a better quality than to keep replacing seats.

When I took possession of my 2019, the driver's armrests were already flaking, just from the delivery drive to California. They also had what looked like a huge vein running through them. All four were replaced, but I don't have high hopes. I decided to spray them frequently to see if I can make them last.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:02 PM   #13

Like Tom mentioned, our coach has thick real leather and that can get hot on your tush and also hard after a couple hours in the saddle.
I am currently trying a product like this - it helps with keeping the seat bottom cooler and it's comfortable for me for 3 or 4 hours but so far I think they are too short front to back in the seat - I'd prefer if they went the full seat length so it doesn't dig into the back of my thighs, maybe a little wider too, they cover maybe 2/3 of the seat. This is not the exact brand I am using but the idea is the same. If anyone else uses a kind like this that they like let me know - and they don't seem to hurt the leather.
https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Kooshion...54490464&psc=1
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
All four were replaced, but I don't have high hopes. I decided to spray them frequently to see if I can make them last.
So what are you spraying on those arms? Looks like I may need to get busy with some long term maintenance.
bbrewer841 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, steps