Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2006, 06:09 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Hi
I was hoping to get some input from you fine folk. My dealer has pointed out the door on my coach is out of adjustment and has been this way since it was new. Newmar claims it is an adjustment problem and adjust problems are to be done within 90 days of purchase. We are over the 90 days, but still within our 3 year warranty period. The adjustment is not a simple procedure and will be somewhat a major problem to repair. We have never noticed the problem prior to this, but it is very obvious it has been like this since it was new. In a major rain storm with a side wind comming to the door side, it would probably allow water to pass through. Should this be a warranty item or am I on the hook to get the door adjusted.
Thanks
Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2006, 06:09 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi
I was hoping to get some input from you fine folk. My dealer has pointed out the door on my coach is out of adjustment and has been this way since it was new. Newmar claims it is an adjustment problem and adjust problems are to be done within 90 days of purchase. We are over the 90 days, but still within our 3 year warranty period. The adjustment is not a simple procedure and will be somewhat a major problem to repair. We have never noticed the problem prior to this, but it is very obvious it has been like this since it was new. In a major rain storm with a side wind comming to the door side, it would probably allow water to pass through. Should this be a warranty item or am I on the hook to get the door adjusted.
Thanks
Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:48 AM   #3

I see your unit is an '04. I think adjustments are reasonable to have a limited time warranty like in this case 90 days. Alignments and like adjustments would cost a manufacturer far too much if they covered them for 3 years. I your unit was 95 or 100 days old, maybe one could negotiate, but that does not seem the case. If it was that bad from new it really should have been addressed earlier than now.
I would just get it fixed. I think Newmar is extremely fair and I would be happy knowing how well they back their products in general.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:34 AM   #4

I think if the adjustment was as simple as a headlight I would agree with Lug-Nut. Since you say it is a major repair Newmar should cover it under warranty. Isn't that part of the reason why you buy a new vehicle, for the WARRANTY?
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:16 AM   #5

I could see a scenario where an owner could be careless and let the wind catch the center entry door causing it to rack out of adjustment. You wouldn't expect that to be covered under warranty.
If the dealership agrees that the door has been out of adjustment since new it should be fixed by the dealership regardless of warranty.
Have you called Newmar customer service yourself and explained the problem? I would think that there is a good chance that the dealership could tell if the door was installed out of adjustment or it was caused by misuse.
Please let us know how your problem was resolved.

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:26 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
We can't say how the door is out of wack but wouldn't have thought Newmar would have let the door get by inspection if its that bad. Maybe its one of the last things to go on coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:11 AM   #7

I get confused really easy. Does the door need repair or adjustment or both?

I've adjusted doors before without too much of a problem. Such adjustments aren't usually covered under the long term warranty. Doors are one of those items that may require periodic adjustment due to gasket deformation or worn parts from daily use.

I'm sure a resolution to your problem is out there. If there is an independant RV tech around, have him/her look at it and see what they say.

Just a suggestion.

BTW: Post some pics. That'll help us understand your plight.

'06 Jeep Liberty Limited
dlhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote