Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2017, 06:05 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Newmar's guidance on extending/retracting slides

Going through my manuals in depth...just to be sure I understand this correctly. My tech at FPU as well as the Newmar owner's manual states extend the slides and then level the coach. Retract the levelers and then retract the slides. It also suggests prior to extending the full wall slide to view the exterior and check the gaps to make sure everything looks uniform.

My guess as to this logic is the leveling may twist the body and it's more likely to be less twisted per se on wheels vs. levelers?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2017, 06:08 AM   #2
TDL

Yes but make certain you are fully aired up when extending and retracting.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:40 AM   #3

Good to know thought it was the exact opposite

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:54 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi NealC,
I could write a book on this subject. However, the bottom line is, on full wall slide coaches, the process used to extend the slides is reversed when retracting the slides. Those with older coaches (4 slides or less, electric powered) remain with the level first then extend slides.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:08 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
FWS gap

It seems I have read just about every thread on the Newmar FWS and there is just something that I can't get through my head. I know one is supposed to check the gap between the slide and the coach etc.etc..... but I have a 2017 Baystar 3401, we have been out twice, run the slides in and out maybe 10 or 12 times, never a problem. Everything seems normal except the following:
the gap between the slide and coach toward the front of the RV measures pretty consistently from the top to the bottom, maybe a quarter or half inch. The gap near the back of the coach measures maybe 1/4 to a little more at the top of the slide but at the very bottom corner there is virtually no gap but the slide does not rub against the coach, it seems to fit right into the corner of the coach. Everything works, everything seems to fit, albeit a little close. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is a problem Newmar should look at or is it maybe normal......
thanks in advnce for your thoughts.

Steve
Old 06-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Steve, the slide can walk if coach is pitched to front or rear if coach is not level, it can happen with 4 slide coach's also.
You may need a software adjustment to reline the slide box in its opening.
Info on all slides and FWS can be found in this link.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:00 PM   #7

We have a 2013 Ventana LE with electric slides, one being a full wall slide. The Newmar techs have told us that for ALL of our slides (including the FWS) we should level the coach first and then put out the slides. When bringing the slides in, do that first and then pull up the jacks. We have been doing this for 3-1/2 years with no problems.

I have heard a lot of comments about the new HWH slides and it isn't clear to me what is the proper procedure for those, although it does sound like you are supposed to extend and retract the slides without the jacks down. (which is opposite to the directions for our electric slides).

Ed Headington
Ed Headington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:27 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is a difference between your FWS ELECTRIC and newer FWS's with HWH slide systems.
Do as you are doing for your electric motor slides.
Just make sure your REVEALS are equal, or this can result.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:08 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Well, common sense makes you believe level the coach then extend the slides. 1) It's level, 2) It's a stable platform. But the manual states otherwise. The problem with the manual is it really is not model specific, they try to be too broad in what they address. I should have Ventana specifics in my manual. I think the other issue is Newmar pushes a lot of Dutch Star's across the line so that is what tech's know best.

My past life was an Air Force pilot and you learned to follow the tech order manuals and never apply common sense. You follow the black and white. The problem again is the manual we are given is not a tech order for the coach we purchased.

The thread referenced in the above post is interested. It again is why I posted to get the consensus of others in the field as to what works vs. doesn't. It sounds like level first is the proven theory. Now I need to figure out what to inspect and where it is that others pointed out had loose bolts.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:45 PM   #10
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Neal, we were the VTDP next to you at FPU. Go AF! Spent 29 years at it until I could find a real job . Was a satellite engineer and space launcher.

To your question. If the frame is square and level (or square, plumb and level) you can move your slides. I have found that if my coach is not level I can level it with the jacks and I do not twist (torque) my frame so I can extend slides with out worry.

As you know, sometimes checklists can get you or others killed. They are generally correct. But the difference between a NOOB and an expert is the expert knows when not to use the checklist. I'll bet, after meeting you, that you became an expert pilot.

You can use your revel as a body torque gauge and operate your slides accordingly. Lots of info out there on torque gauges. Happy to show you if we meet again.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:48 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Neal you should not have a problem with 12v motor bolts there has been a TSB for the past year and you can find your coach TSB's in this link.
Yes there are some for the 2017 year.
You can level coach if you do not use AUTO LEVEL and lift each chassis side rail manually but I would check your reveals of your full wall slides or else your in this fix.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:39 AM   #12

Maybe it is just because we have an older (now) coach, but we need the engine running to put down our electric stabilizers (Atwood level legs), and our slides won't go out with the engine running. so when parking it is jacks down, engine cool down and off, then slides out. When leaving, slides go in before starting the engine, once started the jacks come up.

No confusion for us.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:25 AM   #13
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Going through my manuals in depth...just to be sure I understand this correctly. My tech at FPU as well as the Newmar owner's manual states extend the slides and then level the coach. Retract the levelers and then retract the slides. It also suggests prior to extending the full wall slide to view the exterior and check the gaps to make sure everything looks uniform.

My guess as to this logic is the leveling may twist the body and it's more likely to be less twisted per se on wheels vs. levelers?
I have been following the recommendations to extend & retract the slides with the chassis aired up & jacks retracted. I was told that this is to match the same conditions that existed when the slide boxes were installed at the factory.

This procedure is easy to follow on arrival with the chassis aired up. I shut off the engine, plug into shore power, extend all three slides & extend jacks. No problem.

However the procedure seems a little strange when departing. I start the coach & air up the chassis. Then I retract the jacks. While the engine is still running & plugged into shore power I retract the FWS & kitchen slide. Now for the strange part. The bedroom slide will not retract with the engine running, so I have to shut it off, retract the slide & restart the engine again to leave. Odd that two of the slides can be retracted with the engine running but not the third one. I hate starting the engine, shutting it down & restarting. Do you have the same situation?
Old 06-25-2017, 05:50 AM   #14

The manuals for exactly your coach are available on Newgle.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, slide