Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2016, 09:34 PM   #1

NJ to Cali Road Trip in My Newmar

Hi All, looks like I will be taking my first long road trip to San Jose California from Princeton NJ in late August. This should be an exciting adventure for me and my new to me 2015 Canyon Star 3424. I will be taking I80 almost the whole way since I don't have a bunch of time to do this ride (6 days). The ride should consist of about 3,000 miles and take 40 hours. Of course I won't be able to drive straight through; but, I will try to get through with very little sight seeing. I hope to do more sight seeing on the way back.

So over the next couple of weeks I will be servicing and packing up the RV with all the things that I think I will need to get me there. I have to get the following extra items for sure: RV GPS, RV Map, air pump, update my tool kit, weigh my rv, set tire pressure, check fluilds, 5 star tuner (maybe), etc. I know I will forget stuff but looking forward to the adventure.

I think I will be doing over night truck stops, Walmarts (if possible) with maybe one or two stops at a RV park.

I am also open to any advice that the more seasoned RVers would be willing to share. Which at this time would be everyone LOL.

Woot this is going to be fun.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2016, 11:12 PM   #2
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Going I80 is the way to go IMHO. Some road work but by far fewer delays than the 70. If you find yourself ready to stop in Rawlins Wy, the FlyingJ has a couple of RV parking slots in the front that are nice to stay in. I think up to a 38' will fit. Cabellas in Sidney Ne is also a good stop.

Be safe. The wind in the Midwest ( Neb, Wy, Ut) can be brutal. I've seen some RVs almost on one side of wheels rolling down the road. Most get away with it but remember you are one rouge gust away from disaster. Saving 30 minutes just ain't worth it. But make your own decision.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:14 PM   #3
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Oh, BTW get a good Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS). Doesn't matter the make. We use pressure pro, but others are just as good.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:58 PM   #4

3,000 miles and 40 hrs. That is an average of 75 mph. That is a bit optimistic. If you have to be in San Jose at a certain day and time, you may want to rework the math. I travel 62 mph. That would take me 49 hrs (an extra travel day). Also, I travel about 350 miles per travel day. That is just under 6 hours driving per day. Early on I traveled 450-500 miles per day and was bushed at the end of a travel day. YMMV.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:11 AM   #5

That is excellent advice from Having a blast, you will be exhausted!
You need to allow more time with the coach, fuel stops take longer, you will find maneuvering the beast takes getting used to, and a house on wheels is not a sports car!
Enjoy and be safe!
dhlairbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:42 AM   #6

Thanks for all of the advice. I did the math after posting and figured it was off. I will probably average 60 mph while driving so it will be less with fill ups. I thinking somewhere around 7 days should do it but we will see. Should be an interesting adventure for sure.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:56 AM   #7

We did our first long road trip last Sept, from FL up through MI, across to SD and back. Had everything planned out, and reservations made etc... What a mistake that turned out to be, since I needed to stay on schedule, we ended up not stopping at many places that we wanted to see.
I would not have such a packed schedule next time, take it one day at a time and enjoy the view.
Hope your trip is a GR8 one!
Post pics when you can.
dhlairbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:08 AM   #8

Wow, you folks are hardcore travelers. We did Chester, VA to Scottsdale, AZ and it took us 10 days!
Old 07-18-2016, 04:50 PM   #9
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslam View Post
Hi All, looks like I will be taking my first long road trip to San Jose California from Princeton NJ in late August. This should be an exciting adventure for me and my new to me 2015 Canyon Star 3424. I will be taking I80 almost the whole way since I don't have a bunch of time to do this ride (6 days). The ride should consist of about 3,000 miles and take 40 hours. Of course I won't be able to drive straight through; but, I will try to get through with very little sight seeing. I hope to do more sight seeing on the way back.

So over the next couple of weeks I will be servicing and packing up the RV with all the things that I think I will need to get me there. I have to get the following extra items for sure: RV GPS, RV Map, air pump, update my tool kit, weigh my rv, set tire pressure, check fluilds, 5 star tuner (maybe), etc. I know I will forget stuff but looking forward to the adventure.

I think I will be doing over night truck stops, Walmarts (if possible) with maybe one or two stops at a RV park.

I am also open to any advice that the more seasoned RVers would be willing to share. Which at this time would be everyone LOL.

Woot this is going to be fun.
You may want to slow it down a bit, it will be tiring driving that fast, that long each day.

Get a TPMS.

The Flying-J's/Pilots along RT80 are my usual if I'm trying to make time. Generator on, ear plugs in! Walmart are also good, just call the store before arriving to make sure they allow overnight parking.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:02 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
FWIW when I must be there in a hurry a 16 hour day gets me just over 700 miles which includes fuel and food stops. I sleep in rest areas and only really leave the interstate for fuel.

It's not a pleasure trip by any stretch of the imagination but it gets the job done.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:56 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
60 a 62 mph in a Canyon Star--if you have a blow out on the highway you need to stomp on the gas to maintain control. There isn't a lot of extra mph over 62 in a 40 foot brick rolling down the road. I am 6' 3" and my seat rests against the slide out in the full back position (no recline) so anything over 6 hours gets exhausting for me. I don't have a TPMS but I carry a compressor and check my tires often.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:50 PM   #12

Hi All, just to provide an update. I was unable to go the first time due to project work. However I am almost halfway to San Jose. As I stated before this is a quick and dirty ride cross country. Although the scenery is nice I have not stopped to do any touring of anything but the rest stops, gas stations and RV parks close to I80. My first night I stayed at a rest stop in Ohio. They have electric for a 20 dollar fee. I was the only one in the rest stop that day. My send day was at a KOA in west Des Monies - really nice place. My third day I am staying at the RV park at Cabela's in Sydney NE. So I am doing about 500 miles a day averaging 60-65 mph. I know this consumes extra gas but I need to get there sooner than later. I am looking at six to seven days since I am only driving no more than 10 hours a day. I have found that driving west its a good idea to be parked during the sunset hour because its almost impossible to see anything. The RV is running well with the exception of the Norcold which just stopped working on AC. I am guessing its the fuses or the board went bad. Its working on propane so I am not worried about it right now. I will check it tomorrow when I park for the day.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:58 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are planning a trip from SoCal to NJ and back for next year. I figure a couple months each way... no set dates other than have to be in NJ for a specific date. (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:25 AM   #14

So true.....When traveling westbound, get off the road before the sun approaches the horizon. Hope that the rest of your journey is safe, and that your eastbound leg is a bit less hurried.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar