Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2017, 02:58 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
No Brake Lights to Towed vehicle

Ref: 2003 DSDP Freightliner Chassis/ Cat engine.

My question is:
Where are the fuse locations for the left & right turn/brake lights?

My problem is:
Signal lights work, running lights work, but the brake lights to the towed vehicle does not!

Tow vehicle and all connecting wiring and adapters have been checked positive by plugging into another Dutch Star. The brake lights do not work when plugged into my coach.

Newmar Cust. Serv. Has referred me to the owners manual and to Freightliner.

Any suggestions?

Deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2017, 03:14 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Just a wild guess, but I'd start by looking for fuses.

Walt

photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:30 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhunter View Post
Ref: 2003 DSDP Freightliner Chassis/ Cat engine.

My question is:
Where are the fuse locations for the left & right turn/brake lights?

My problem is:
Signal lights work, running lights work, but the brake lights to the towed vehicle does not!

Tow vehicle and all connecting wiring and adapters have been checked positive by plugging into another Dutch Star. The brake lights do not work when plugged into my coach.

Newmar Cust. Serv. Has referred me to the owners manual and to Freightliner.

Any suggestions?

My previous coach was on an 05 freightliner chassis, and I dealt with this exact issue two times. First time it ended up being a blown fuse. On my particular coach the fuses that controlled the toad lights was located in a fuse box in the second to last compartment on the drivers side. The second time that I got no lights on the toad it ended up being a bad cable. The 6 pin cable going from back of coach that plugged into front of toad had gone bad somehow? After trying everything I could think of I tried a new cable and the lights worked??

Hope this helps!
UncleJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:34 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Deerhunter".....You're coach is older, but on mine, there is a fuse panel in the engine battery bay. It has the fuses for the trailer harness.

Do the brake lights on the coach work when you step on the brakes?

Typically, if your turn signals work, so will the brake lights, they're using the same bulb, unless your coach has a separate bulb just for turn signals.

Lastly, since I'm not familiar with your coach I'll just suggest this. If your coach has separate bulbs for turn signals, you may have a small brain at the back of the coach near the trailer wiring harness that acts as a converter. It takes the signal for the turn signals and brake lights (if they're separate) and mates them into one for the trailer connection. This could have failed. If you're familiar with trailer wiring, you often have to buy one of these brains to do just the opposite when the car has separate bulbs.

Lastly, before you do anything, even though your car worked when connected to another coach, connect your car and then take a jumper cable and connect to a good ground on the coach and one on the car. If this solves your issue, the ground in your coach connector could be loose or corroded.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:05 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Good points that you have mentioned.
Everything on the coach works. Ive checked all electrical areas for fuses and all im finding is a brake relay and running light fuse in the Freightliner fuse panel.
I have separate brake and signal lights and im using an adapter for 7 pin to 4 pin connector.
I replaced the 7 pin connector on the coach and everything reads okay on the multimeter.
Today i built a double light tester and have wired it to a 4 pin connector. I will be trying it out when helper gets home from work.
Nice idea on the brain. I will look for that also.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:06 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
On my 05 Freightliner, Kountry Star, there is a black fuse box about 4" x 4" on the passenger side in the basement in front of the rear tires. It had the fuses for the brake & turn signals in it.
Siggy
siggyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:26 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Thanks Siggy. Ive checked my area on pass side aft of rear wheel and the drivers side aft of rear wheel with nothing there relative to turn or brske lights.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:29 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"Deerhunter".....You're coach is older, but on mine, there is a fuse panel in the engine battery bay. It has the fuses for the trailer harness.

Do the brake lights on the coach work when you step on the brakes?

Typically, if your turn signals work, so will the brake lights, they're using the same bulb, unless your coach has a separate bulb just for turn signals.

Lastly, since I'm not familiar with your coach I'll just suggest this. If your coach has separate bulbs for turn signals, you may have a small brain at the back of the coach near the trailer wiring harness that acts as a converter. It takes the signal for the turn signals and brake lights (if they're separate) and mates them into one for the trailer connection. This could have failed. If you're familiar with trailer wiring, you often have to buy one of these brains to do just the opposite when the car has separate bulbs.

Lastly, before you do anything, even though your car worked when connected to another coach, connect your car and then take a jumper cable and connect to a good ground on the coach and one on the car. If this solves your issue, the ground in your coach connector could be loose or corroded.
Hi Don
Somehow i missed the first paragraph of your response relative to a fuse panel inside the battery bay.
Thats one area i havent check and would be a convenient place to.put it.
Thank you. Checking it tomorrow.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:51 AM   #9

Just happened to us. Some of the pins on the coach connection were corroded preventing contact. We used a emory stick to clean up.
We also pushed in the metal contacts on the plug to improve contact.
Good luck
Old 03-04-2017, 01:25 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No Brake Lights to Towed vehicle

Deerhunter....
In some coach/toad combinations you have to wire diodes into the light circuitry of your toad to prevent your toad brake light power (energized by your auxiliary brakes) from back feeding into your coach light circuits. Check out this site.
https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wir...ins/38955.html.
Google other sites with similar search terms to learn more.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:14 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Etrailer.com is a great place to do business with. Ive bought from them for years. Plenty of helpful advice on their website too.
And I did install diodes just for the reason you mention.
Freightliner will be sending me some photos Monday that may reveal the location of the fuse/relay box since they requested the Vin #.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:22 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've been chasing this on my 2008 Dutch Star for awhile. First things first, do you have turn signals and brake signal at the coach trailer connector? These share the same pins on the 7 pin connector. LH stop/turn and RH stop/turn. If you have turn signals at the connector but no brake signal then you have to find where they get combined and check there. This is not a fuse or relay problem as the turn signal and the brake signal share the same fuses and relay going to the trailer connector. If the turn signal is getting through then the fuses and relays are good. On my 2008, the coach brake and turn lights use a different set of fuses & relays from the trailer connector. You need the wiring diagrams from Freightliner to figure this out.

On earlier DS Spartan chassis' the brake signal gets combined with the turn signals at the turn signal switch on the column. By 2008 (maybe sooner) they added a controller that combined turn signals, hazards, brake, & marker lights and sent out the combined signals. That's where my problem seems to be. It's buried in the dash behind the instrument console. Very difficult to get at. Freightliner should be able to tell you if your VIN has a similar controller.
Roadtrip Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:32 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
On my coach the 7 pin connector wiring tees off the wiring going to the LH & RH tail/signal/brake lights.
Freightliner has requested my vin # to further assist me. Hopefully I will get photos or schematics Monday.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:33 AM   #14

I think this may be the fix

Had this on our 06 MADP. There are some inline type fuses on top of the chassis batteries that fed to the trailer wiring harness - one was blown, replaced it and it was fixed. The diagrams don't always capture all the places various companies add fuses. Check there.

Tags
brake, brake lights, light, lights, tow