Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2016, 05:09 PM   #1

No Generator Power

Bought a 2004 Kountry Star in December been in storage all winter Plugged into house to keep batteries up Started generator today started up great but is not supplying any power I don't know if it was supplying power when I brought it home or not do you think it could be the transfer switch and is there a way to test it have 110 when plugged into the house but a/c does not work
kart2572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 05:34 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you checked the breaker on the genny?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:35 PM   #3

I just started the generator and tested for power at the transfer switch there was none it is a Generac generator
Old 04-17-2016, 05:37 PM   #4

No would it be underneath somewhere I don't see any under the benny hood
Old 04-17-2016, 05:38 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kart2572 View Post
I just started the generator and tested for power at the transfer switch there was none it is a Generac generator
Is there a power switch on the genny?
I don't know about the Generac but the Onans all have a physical switch on the generator to turn on power. It will run all dy, but if you don't flip the switch... no power.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:39 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Bought a 2004 Kountry Star in December been in storage all winter Plugged into house to keep batteries up Started generator today started up great but is not supplying any power I don't know if it was supplying power when I brought it home or not do you think it could be the transfer switch and is there a way to test it have 110 when plugged into the house but a/c does not work
OK...I'm not following the last part well. Let's start with the question of, does everything work when plugged into 50A shore power? If not, that is probably a separate issue from the Generator.

Next, how do you know that there is no power out of the generator? Are you testing multiple outlets through out the coach to see if you have 110?

Finally...for now...what model generator do you have?

With those questions out of the way...

The first thing I would start with is checking the breaker(s) on the generator. Typically an Onan QD 7500 has a double poll breaker with 30 or 35 amps on each poll. Make sure those are not off or have been "popped".

If all circuits work properly when on shore power and you have verified the generators breakers are "on" the most likely next place to check is at the automatic transfer switch. I haven't had the need to actually look inside my ATS so I won't try to talk you through where to test but you should fairly easily be able to identify the inputs from the shore and generator once you open the case. With out being connected to shore power but with the generator running you will want to test the input side to see if you have voltage and then the output side. If the input is "hot" and the output is "not" then the ATS is your most likely culprit. If both sides are cold then you are looking at a generator issue.

There is a slight chance the generator's breakers are bad but I wouldn't give that any serious thought until you have checked everything else out. The other thing could be bad connections to the ATS so with all power off you can double check the screws on the terminals.

This is pretty basic and there is always the possibility it is something that eludes by basic understanding of wire and circuit testing but I think this is a reasonable start.

Good Luck!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:44 PM   #7

Sorry its a POWER TECH PTS-7-CSI I do have power while on shore power no power at transfer switch from genny
Old 04-17-2016, 06:03 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Sorry its a POWER TECH PTS-7-CSI I do have power while on shore power no power at transfer switch from genny
You've checked the breaker switch(s) on the genny?
Old 04-17-2016, 06:14 PM   #9

The generator has a main breaker switch, probably right at the hours meter. Make sure the breaker is on. I had the same thing when I bought a new coach, the techs turned the breaker off during servicing and forgot to turn it back on.

Start there before you go down other rabbit holes
Old 04-18-2016, 09:32 AM   #10

Thanks for all the info that was the problem I think when the tech was servicing it he turned them off I never even thought of that I was thinking the worst
Old 04-18-2016, 09:35 AM   #11

No worries. We all said that because it happen to us too. I panicked when it happened to me. I called the dealer and that was the first thing they told me to check.

Quote:
Thanks for all the info that was the problem I think when the tech was servicing it he turned them off I never even thought of that I was thinking the worst
Old 04-18-2016, 10:15 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Been there...done that.

Tags
generator, power