Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2018, 03:05 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
No Hot Water

Camping in Iowa. Discovered that we have no hot water. Plenty of heat generated by the aqua hot diesel burner for the furnace in our all-electric Ventana. I checked the by-pass switch and there are no red blown fuse indicator lights illuminated. When I turn on the bypass switch I get hot water just fine but I’ve been cautioned to do that sparingly. Any ideas what could be wrong?
Bad pump?
Bad check valve?
Any fix suggestions?
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2018, 03:57 PM   #2

Hot Water

First guess is you have a pump that is not working. There are 3 of them.
007 has some great links about the system.
As far as the bypass on, there has been some people that had their system in by pass for months. They didn't know it was on.
I would suggest you call ITR Tech Support tomorrow. Great people.
1-800-993-4402
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you checked this link may find your answer there.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:59 PM   #4

No hot water when bypass is off and hot water when bypass is on? This points to the summer loop pump being the issue. They don’t always go bad and blow a fuse, but I am puzzled by the lack of any indicator lights. I’d call ITR. They are great on the phone.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:58 AM   #5

summer loop pump needs replaced, very easy to do yourself.
bonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:42 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the very useful suggestions/thoughts.

There is one more theory that I need to explore more before I resort to a complicated or costly repair. From reading Dutch Star Don's posts about the Oasis system, I learned that system performance is significantly affected by the temperature of the water entering the coach from the external water supply. The outside temperature was near freezing and I had hose coiled up outside so I would guess that the entering water temp was in the 30's. As suggested, on the next outing I will try using up water in the internal domestic water tank which will be much warmer - especially during times when hot water is in heavy demand. With the "specific heat" of water being what it is, it should take much less burn time to heat up water in the relatively warmer water tank than from the cold. I can always later switch the valve at the point of input to refill the tank at a time when hot water is less in demand. Anyone had experience with this theory?
Old 10-28-2018, 06:27 AM   #7

See my recent post about “Oasis zone not working”. Most likely a stuck check valve or pump acting up. If you recently did work on your Oasis heating fluid it could be air in that zone. Outside cold water may take an extra minute or two with the diesel burner to get warm but it will still get warm. If you are using just the electric heating element the heat may be used by the heating system leaving little heat for internal water use.
Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushy View Post
Thanks for the very useful suggestions/thoughts.

There is one more theory that I need to explore more before I resort to a complicated or costly repair. From reading Dutch Star Don's posts about the Oasis system, I learned that system performance is significantly affected by the temperature of the water entering the coach from the external water supply. The outside temperature was near freezing and I had hose coiled up outside so I would guess that the entering water temp was in the 30's. As suggested, on the next outing I will try using up water in the internal domestic water tank which will be much warmer - especially during times when hot water is in heavy demand. With the "specific heat" of water being what it is, it should take much less burn time to heat up water in the relatively warmer water tank than from the cold. I can always later switch the valve at the point of input to refill the tank at a time when hot water is less in demand. Anyone had experience with this theory?
this is true, however you said that going into bypass provided hot water, so IMHO you need to replace pump. call oasis directly they are great about helping out.
bonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:11 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
THANKS

I'll give it one more try in the cold. I will try to dislodge the check valves. If that doesn't get it done, I'll check in with our local dealer, Steinbring Motorcoach, who is familiar with our coach and our Oasis unit.

Thanks to all for some good ideas. While I haven't yet solved this issue to my satisfaction, I still do get hot water most of the time and I've learned a lot about our Oasis hydronic heat system. I'm confident that it will get resolved.

Tags
water