Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2019, 03:24 PM   #1

No HVAC operation, need help!

Long story short, just got new to us 2006 Essex. Upon getting it, we can’t get the hvac system to do anything. No fan, no ac, no heat pump, no heat etc. everything else in the coach works perfectly.
I’ve done some basic troubleshooting and having issues with module 10/33/351. I’m at a loss and we are supposed to be traveling to Florida next weekend for Christmas and def wasn’t planning on this.
The old owner said he never once had a issue and worked last time he used it. Any tips or help is greatly appreciated.
DNR Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2019, 04:58 PM   #2

How are you powering? Shore power? Get a manual, check EVERY fuse/Breaker.

Don
dcveem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #3

Hi There

Welcome to IRV2 and to your new 2006 Essex. I have had my 2006 Essex for over 4 years and know a thing or two.

I love my Essex, but you have some challenges ahead of you. Our coach has a controlling system called ePlex. ePlex is old, it is obsolete and it controls a lot of important functionality... like the HVAC and furnace.

Module 10 is LP Gas tank monitor. You coach appears to be not All Electric. No big deal for now.

Module 351 is the outdoor temperature sensor. No big deal for your immediate issues.

Module 33 is the Dometic AC interface. Big deal and explains your situation.

Fortunately, the solution is actually pretty simple. Hopefully, you are a handy kind of guy willing to use your hands and fiddle with stuff.

ePlex cannot communicate with the Dometic ACs and the furnace. There is no fixing this. So, you need to make your coach work with the standard, non eplex components.

You need to buy this ASAP. Yesterday delivery is desirable

Dometic 3109228001 Comfort Control Center
https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-31092...6456160&sr=8-3

When you get this, you will need to unscrew the 6 screws that hold the control panel that holds the eplex controller. Behind this panel is a rats nest of wires, so when the screws are removed, the panel will gently fall forward.

On the right side, mounted onto the wall is the failed eplex AC interface component. This component has a telephone style cable plugged into it. You need to remove that cable and insert it into the Dometic controller that you purchased.

There is a necessary reset procedure that needs to be performed. We can search for that later, but it is a common procedure. If all goes well, then your AC system will be functional.

Then you will have to deal with mounting the new controller and figuring out how best to move forward.

I recommend you search this forum for eplex and learn. I have totally eliminated eplex from my Essex and recommend everyone do as well. You can review my posts since 2015 to see how I replaced the various systems.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:43 PM   #4

And to prepare yourself, here is a picture behind that front control panel.

The Dometic AC interface is mounted on the wall on the far right.

Also, I strongly recommend you take pictures, lots of pictures as you open up this panel. For me, a wire once came loose and nothing worked. I had taken pictures and figured out where the loose wire belonged.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0847.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	269558  
Old 12-15-2019, 05:44 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
Within this link you will find a thread for ESSEX owners which may steer you into what your problem maybe.
Also in QT's 1 & 2 you will find info on the AC systems of older coach's and if you are now in cold temps the heat pumps of your AC units will not heat your coach when they are below 40* you need your furnace to also heat your tanks bays from freezing.
Good luck and let us know how your making out.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:55 PM   #6

Helpful reading. You will eventually need to add 3 remote temperature sensors.

The reset procedure is also described.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/leav...on-374413.html
Old 12-15-2019, 06:00 PM   #7

Do you have a Energy Management System? Mine had a bad relay that controlled AC #2. I direct wired AC #2 until I could get the board replaced.

-B
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:38 PM   #8

Thanks for the awesome info. I guess I left that part out on already tried the dometic thermostat. I plugged it right in and did the reset and it didn’t change anything. Would not power anything up. So when I go to reprogram the modules it will let me reprogram 10/33 but won’t let me do 351. Newmar also suggested the dometic thermostat but didn’t change my issue.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:08 PM   #9

DNR Customs

Be careful to listen to owners who understand the Eplex system unique to the Essex model, (You do not have a separate Energy Management system, it is built into the Eplex system)

Like azSkier, I also have an Essex with Eplex and have a emergency plan in place, for when things don't work.

azSkier is giving you Great advice.

You may have more than 1 issue going on , BUT focus on the AC and use the Dometic 3109228001 Comfort Control Center thermostat to trouble shoot your issue

I understand you have done that and it didn't fix your issue .

This would usually indicate your problem is with the AC system and Not Eplex.

Using a traditional domectic service manual and the Dometic 3109228001 Comfort Control Center thermostat in place you should be able to trouble shoot your issue.

As long as the Dometic 3109228001 Comfort Control Center has had the Reset procedure done, then any service person who understands the domestic system should be able to help you from here.

Note: You still have issues with Code 10 and 351, however as azSkier has mentioned, that should not stop you from trouble shooting your issue with the Dometic 3109228001 Comfort Control Center thermostat.

Do you have hot domestic water inside the coach ?

Does the Dometic 3109228001 Comfort Control Center thermostat allow you to change modes/zones/fan, by that I mean is the Dometic 3109228001 Comfort Control Center functioning ? I understand its not controller the AC units, but does the Dometic 3109228001 Comfort Control Center thermostat function like it should ?

When you get this resolved, put together a plan to deal with Eplex system when they give you problems.

Eplex is the biggest issue with the Essex, otherwise its a great coach.

Good Luck, and keep us posted
Wschep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:44 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I hope the OP returns and realizes he got priceless info from "azSkier". You would hunt high and low to find a shop that had that much knowledge.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I hope the OP returns and realizes he got priceless info from "azSkier". You would hunt high and low to find a shop that had that much knowledge.
And spend a Whole lot of $ for the shop to get up to speed...

Nice job, azSkier!
Old 12-16-2019, 03:46 PM   #12

OP and I are talking on the phone. No success yet.

Last spring, another Essex had similar problems. The problem turned out to be corrosion on the comm cable connectors on the 3 HVAC units.

Here is the link to a longest thread working the issue.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/help...on-443112.html
Old 12-16-2019, 07:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
So greatfull for Mikes help, I was able to get some heat in the basement and the very back room. So we are making progress, also was informed by azskier the new inverter wouldn’t operate right with the eplex. So I ordered the correct module needed. Hoping a few more nights after work I can have it working good enough to head out of the frozen tundra of Michigan and head to Florida with the family. Thanks for everyone’s help and looks like I have lots reading to do to better understand the coach.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:59 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Great....this is how the forum should work. Especially one RVer helping another save money and aggravation.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help