Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2014, 09:26 AM   #1

No Longer a Newmar Owner

Hi All
After 9+ great years of owning my 2005 MADP 4304, I am "coachless" for the first time since 1998. I contracted "bus fever" several months ago, so I sold my Newmar. It was a very difficult decision to sell, and it was a very time- consuming process to get it sold.
The information that I obtained from this forum was extremely helpful, and I sure saved some money doing repairs myself, aided by the information and guidance available on the forum. I contributed when I could, and I am still available to anyone who is contemplating a residential refrigerator conversion.
In the meantime, I am actively shopping for a bus conversion. It continues to be a learning process, but I will own one soon.
Thank you to all of the forum members who make this forum such a great resource.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2014, 10:01 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Enjoy the search.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 927palmetto View Post
I am actively shopping for a bus conversion.
Can you expand on why?
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sorry to see you go but you still have the RVing in your blood, so it can not be the age think I am facing and I know how tough it can be its a day to day thing in my case.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:35 PM   #5

Wow a bus conversion. Sounds like a great plan and best of luck.
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:55 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey, Palmetto! I join with the others who say "Sorry to see you leave our Newmar family" -- but I join with them also in wishing you all the best in the bus conversion. It is certainly an interesting move -- can see why you would do it and hope it all works out really well for you.

This is a terrific place this Newmar Owners' Forum -- so many great people with so much outstanding advice and friendliness. I, for one, treasure all we get with this Forum.

There is an interesting article I just read today from the June edition of FMCA's Family Motor Coaching Magazine on Millennium bus conversion. Not in many of our price ranges but very interesting. Tune in if you can.

Best wishes --

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:00 AM   #7

Thanks everybody! I will still be lurking around...I am a still Newmar fan.
I have been looking at buses for years, and went to a bus show in January. I was trying to ignore the fever...I even thought about buying an Entegra Cornerstone. But after looking at three of those, and driving one at the FMCA rally in Perry, GA, I lost interest in owning one. I am back to my bus ownership mission. No two are alike, so you really have to look for "the one."
Old 06-09-2014, 02:24 PM   #8

But what makes a bus better than a Class A?
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #9

Hi Resist
"Better" certainly is subjective. This topic (bus conversion vs. production Class A) has been flogged on numerous forums. I want a bus for the ride (superior to most Class A's, in my opinion), the true "one-off" customization, and the towing capacity. In most cases, depreciation is less on bus conversions, although it is still significant. Prevost XL's are made of steel (as opposed to plastic and fiberglass), and you can tell by the way the bus "feels" and rides.
There are some disadvantages, too. Cost of ownership, and cost of maintenance is significantly greater with a bus conversion. Availability of service is much more limited, because you just can't pull into a Camping World for parts or service.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:02 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Hey 927,

Don't those conversions come with a Chauffeur stowed in the front cargo bay? Listen closely, you'll probably hear him/her knockin'!!

Seriously, enjoy your hunt and good luck with this new adventure.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:53 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 927palmetto View Post
There are some disadvantages, too. Cost of ownership, and cost of maintenance is significantly greater with a bus conversion. Availability of service is much more limited,
All the maintenance this bus needs, your Newmar needed as well!
Old 06-10-2014, 07:15 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to bnsonger47
Palmetto,

When I've gotten the fever, I took two aspirin and stayed in bed until the fever passed. Of course, looking in my wallet helps, too.

You are in an enviable position. However, if I were really serious about a conversion I'd go the "vintage" route just because of the character appeal and not because of interior space.

Let us know what you come up with.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:34 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Look for busses "owned" by one-hit country music singers who think they are the next Dolly Parton or Vince Gill. They "buy" a conversion, then it's repossessed when they quit paying the mortgage.

FMCA Local Chapter Secretary - Bay Area TravelerS (BATS)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #14

A pampered '97-2000 riveted Prevost XL is surprisingly affordable. If the tires,batteries,brakes, airbags,engine hoses have all been done , which many are before they sell, not a bad deal. Post 2000(build date 1999) delamination of the steel sidewalls can be a concern.
wracinti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar