Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #1

No more HDTV on the coach

I purchased the whole HDTV package from Newmar in 2007 with 2 receivers, one with a recorder, a R5 dish with one LNB with capabilities to switch from 110 to 119 and 110 satellites when selected. It is a HVA system with inside capabilities to switch any receiver to either TV. Worked wonderful until DirecTV put up new satellites 99 and 103. Bless their souls. Then they changed all HD programing to those satellites and left me watching standard TV on 101. Is there a modification available to allow this system to drop 199 and 110 and pick up the new satellites? I don't want the added expense of changing the dish if at all possible.
bmaxey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Unfortunately, there is no dome capable of receiving DirecTV HD.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Dirk's right. You might want to switch to Dish. It's a hassle but unless you want the chore of setting up a manual HD dish or paying >$1500 to have a new automatic one installed it might be your only option.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We have the R6 and have switched to Dish, supposed to have HD from the dish. I have to upgrade the software on the dish, I will do that tomorrow and will post the reults.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:05 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We have an R5 and use DISH Network. No problem receiveing HD channels stationary or in-motion as long as we have unubstructed line-of-sight to the satellites.
jdcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:34 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I gather you are talking about a dome type antenna. NO dome can pick up DirecHDTV, DirecTV is what they work BEST with but DirecHDTV is a no-go.

Recommendation is as follows.

Near the receiver put a common A/B antenna switch like the RCH VH-71 (A buck on Google's store plus S&H) you need one switch for each receiver.

A gets the line from the ROOF top dome up A-bove
B gets a brand new RG-6 cable you install running to some place down B-elow, Suggested sites are

B-asement
B-ulkhead (Through wall connector)
And on my Gasser, the B-reak B-ell crank B-racket

In the 1st and 3rd cases bolt a Ground B-lock

(You may notice a plethora of b- in this post for the B- line)

Use a tripod mount dish (Slimline, I think it's 50 or 60 bucks tripod included from DirecTV called a "Disaster recovery kit)

and then you get HD when parked.. You may need to install more than one RG-6, Even if you don't. Do it, I mean if you ever NEED a 2nd cable.. why do all that work 2 or 3 times?
Old 07-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #7

Direct Tv broadcasts their HD on KA band while Dish is on KU band. All mobile dish antennas are capable of receiving KU frequency, not KA. Therefore Dish is the only choice short of insalling a separate antenna as suggested. Is that You Bill from RB??
Old 07-30-2011, 04:37 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you are DirecTv, take the dome off and sell it. I did. Someone with a travel trailer will buy it.

Then install the Winegard "Trave'ler" (5 LNB) antenna.

Then pay a bunch of money to DirecTv for their "Choice" and HD programming- You'll love it.

No more TV going down the highway, it's against the law up front anyway.

I've had this system now for over 3 years and not one problem. Just press one button when you get parked. I planned the satellite bill into my retirement plan a long time ago.

Good luck,
Old 07-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #9

The Trav'ler is great and you can still watch TV while in-motion if you choose. It's only illegal for the driver to watch TV.
If you use a DVR you can watch truly uninterrupted TV even while inside a tunnel. It's much better than in-motion. We just record a bunch of stuff and if we get bored I can listen while any and all other passengers can watch. Very cool!
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Well we have had Dish TV for about 3 months and love it. We get HD channels in the Essex and all we had to do is upgrade some of the satellite dish software and plug in dish receiver. Also it is about $20 dollars a month cheaper and we get more channels compared to the same Direct TV package we had.
2015 GMC Seirra
Old 08-01-2011, 08:13 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We changed to a Traveler right after we got our unit as we couldn't get anything on it and would have had to pay a small fortune to upgrade it and so paid a large fortune to get the new equipment and installed. We have Dish HDTV on the Traveler 'cuz that's what we have at home and as we have the double box,we can watch two different shows on two different tvs even though they may be on different satelittes.We only get HD on the front set,but the quality of signal is great on the rear one also.The box is listed as being in the shed and we never have any problems getting a signal when we're on the road,once I figgered out how to do it right.
Thanks for the tip about watching the DVR while on the road,dummy here never thought about it....
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #12

Do you get Fox news or MSNBC on Dish? I heard they are not avalible.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White
I hope not
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Yes we get both channels 205 & 209
2015 GMC Seirra