Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #15

I know on mine the inner belt (closest to the engine) has a really nice scrub mark in the middle of the back of the belt, and there's a corresponding shiny spot on a bolt head on the framework right under the bottom of the belt. It's obvious that I have had the belt contacting the bolt head. With my luck it will fail and strand me, my luck doesn't tend to be good. I recently bought a scratch-off lottery ticket that after I scratched it said that I owed the state two more dollars.....

CSX4350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2008, 05:28 PM   #16

John, I have the same problem with the belt hitting the corner of the framework and bolt head.I,m nervous about using the engine brake, if I do the belt hits these obstructions,so even though i don't have the vibration i think this set up is poorly executed with such a close gap to the belt.I've been fortunate not to have the belt break.Concerning the fan speed making a huge noise while underway,is that normal.? My ISL in my dutch star never made fan noise like that.I understand the latest upgrade for the fan changes the speed in relation to rpm and opposite rotation which reduces vibration and harmonics with different pitch on the fan blades.I wonder how many k2's have had belts blow! Did they blow from the vibration issue or because they hit the frame,engine brake on or off.Anyway i do appreciate all the discussion with our rv issues here with fellow newmar owners.I do look forward to my next visit to newmar in july and hope to have this item addressed. Frank
Old 02-15-2008, 02:15 AM   #17

Frank, The ISL uses a hydraulic driven cooling fan assembly. Both the ISM and ISX on the Newmar spec'ed chassis's are mechanically driven. This is done to better meet the cooling needs of the larger coolant rad, heat exchangers and air charging circuit. This mechanical drive operates through a magnetic viscous clutch that is also capable of locking up for direct drive high speed operation when required. When not locked up, which is it's state the majority of the time, a magnetic feild between the two clutch faces causes the fan input shaft to rotate in a slip like fashion. This slippage is reduced slightly as the engine temperature increases which is accomplished by an increase in voltage to the magnetic field. At a set temperature of around 203 F., the electric lock up clutch will engage. This lock up sequence however, is also triggered by other events, the use of the high speed Jake being one. Additional it can be activated by several other events including, but not limited to, transmission temperature, intake manifold temperature and turbo charger temperature.
The Jake brake activation event is to take advantage of an additional some 70 horse power of braking force while also putting this otherwise wasted energy to work operating the cooling package. This automatic fan/Jake action can be defeated by the reprogramming of the ECM. Mine in fact, is defeated and runs well.
In reference to your question regarding the excess noise, yes that is normal. It is a gaint fan moving a giant's share of air. This loud fully engaged clutch does not run that often, with the exception of Jake usage, and even so, with the window up, it is not really heard.

Peter
Old 02-15-2008, 03:48 AM   #18

Peter, Thanks for the info on the fan operation.I was curious what your thoughts are concerning the itsy bitsy belt guard that i've seen on these upgrades.When i first saw it i thought,you 've got to be kidding.!That little piece of aluminum.!Unfortunately when we were at newmar in november they were out of these guards till december.I am using a radiator hose that blew,wraped and tie wraped around the framework that catches the belt when it deflects under acceleration and back under engine braking.So far this has worked without using the engine brake,except for low engine braking on occasion.As a result of the belt issue i stay away from steep grades cause i'm worried that belt may blow.That is no way to go rv'ing.!If Matt or Mahlon Miller had a belt blow on their coach you know it would get the full treatment.I hope newmar and spartan do the right thing and give us some peace of mind.! Frank
Old 02-15-2008, 04:46 AM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lug_Nut:
John, That will not happen. Spartan are among the best servicing companies I have dealt with. I would not listen to this dealer's view of what Spartan's policies are, but would call them directly. To my knowledge, their policy has not changed, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Most k-2/k-3 chassis's did not experience this problem, for reasons not entirely known. I for one would like to know who this Spartan dealer is and exactly what he was officially told.

Peter </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
----------------------------------------------
I like Spartan as well but I think they are making a mistake by failing to communicate better with their customers in the two latest isssues i.e. the fan and the Bussman box. The latter is a prime example. First comes the NHTSB notice of a recall of 3000+ 2005-2008 chassis in all series. No qualifying language.

No word for nearly 7 months and then when owners start to question they say notices will be out shortly. In the meantime they give individual owners who call whose units are within the NHTSB description different answers i.e. your unit not really in the recall, your unit is in the recall but has more than 2000 miles and thus beyond failure mode so it won't be changed out, your unit was repaired at factory before shipment, etc. It's all ways interesting to see companies fall on their own sword and then do a study of what happened and the highly paid consultants come to a brilliant conclusion "it was caused by a failure to communicate"
Old 02-15-2008, 04:55 AM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I guess there are some who had the first upgrade who had no vibration, but I have not met any of them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Chuck! How quick we forget one of the Amigos! I never had the vibration or any other problems from my latest upgrade. They did it for me anyway. But that was then, I do not know what their current policy is. With that said they have been great and I cannot imagine them changing their ways. Paul
Old 02-15-2008, 08:47 AM   #21

From my previous dealings with Spartan, I've concluded that they are one of the best service companies there is.

I'm confident that this (my) issue will be handled in an appropriate and satisfactory manner.

Sebastian