RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2018, 08:44 PM   #1

No power to ignition

I was having an intermittent start problem that is no longer intermittent. When I turn on the key there is no power at all to the dash or headlights. It's completely dead. There was never a problem with the battery turning over slow. When I went out to the RV today it started normally. I turned if off and started again and nothing. It's as if the cables were not even hooked up. I was having an occasional turn the key and no turn over. Then I noticed there was a slight delay when you turned the key on before the dash would get power and now there is no power to the dash. I recently removed all the battery cables and cleaned all the connections. That made no difference at all. I'm thinking I should remove the start batteries and make sure one did not develop an internal short. The start batteries are 5 years old. Suggestions??

noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2018, 09:45 PM   #2

It could be a bad transmission control panel, if it does not light up it may not be communicating with the engine computer. I had a similar problem with my coach several years ago. The first thing the mobile tech did was change the transmission panel, still no starting, then he checked the engine computer, no problem there. So he started checking the continuity of each wire in the 2 inch bundle of wires that run from the engine main computer to the dash and finally found one that had corroded inside the wire insulation. Once that was repaired everything worked perfectly.
Good luck.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:53 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
In this link many items related to your problem.
This one in particular, if its similar in a FL maybe your problem.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:05 PM   #4

You may have a failing run relay ( solenoid )

The ignition switch can't handle the loads of the MH so they use the switch to control a solenoid.

If you can get someone to turn the key on and off, while you listen for it to actavate, you can test volts on both sides to see if its making a connection internally.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:46 PM   #5

Update

After researching this problem online here and elsewhere, I read about a 135 amp circuit breaker located on the frame rail drivers side behind the rear wheel. Armed with this info I called Freightliner to see what they had to say. Freightliner told me the same thing without any prompting from me. I went out to the RV today armed with my voltmeter, tools and cordless drill with wire brushes. I got in the RV and turned on the key. When I left it last night there was no power to the dash at all including headlights, transmission panel, nothing. Today when I turned on the key the dash powered up. I did not attempt to start it but I turned on the headlights and wham everything went dead. I crawled under the coach, found the 135 amp breaker and tested it for 12v power. I had power to both sides. That eliminated the circuit breaker. The terminals did not look to clean. I removed power from the batteries and then removed the terminals from the circuit breaker. Using my cordless drill and wire brush attachment I cleaned the terminals and post spotless. On the same plate with the 135 amp breaker is a solenoid that goes to the starter. Even though this was not suspect, I removed those terminals since I was there and cleaned those also. After installing everything the Coach fired right up. I turned it off multiple times and also tried the headlight switch multiple times and could not recreate the problem. Since I never start the coach without taking it for a drive, off I went for a 45 minute ride. Stopped along the way at a truck stop for a cold drink and returned back to my covered storage. After arriving back I shut it down and cycled the key on and off multiple times without failures. I can't say for certain but I feel pretty good it's fixed and the corroded terminals at the circuit breaker post was the culprit. Thanks to all that responded as always. Much appreciated!
Old 07-17-2018, 08:22 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Will be adding your thread to the information sticky for Newmar Owners and FL starting problem.
If you have a similar problem check the ground cables to chassis frame for clean tight connections they can cause you problems also.
Thank for posting your final results.
Safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:40 AM   #7

007 Thanks for your help as always. The first thing I did last week was to clean all the battery cables followed by the ground to frame connections. Your right that many times these problems are caused by corroded or loose grounds. I also applied some no-ox-id electrical grease to all the connections. I read about that product and thought it looked a little better than the dielectric grease I have used in the past. Suppose to be conductive and a protectorate.

Tags
ignition, power