Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2016, 03:25 PM   #1

No refrigerator warranty

As my Newmar warranty is about to expire I inquired of Maytag about an extended warranty for the refrigerator. Turns out they will not provide a warranty for one of their refrigerators if fitted in a moving vehicle, and in fact the 1 year warranty and 10 year compressor warranty are not valid either. Just thought you might like to know.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2016, 03:40 PM   #2

Although I don't have the same fridge that you do, when I bought my extended warranty through my Newmar Dealer, it covers everything in the MH including the fridge for 7 years. Anything that is covered for multiple years by Newmar, ie roof/slides ect would be covered by that warranty, until they expire. I bought the extended warranty when I bought the MH but the dealer told me I had until the 1 year original warranty expired to make my decision. He said just to make sure I did it before that one year mark, anytime after that it would be a different type warranty and most likely a little more expensive and cover less. It wasn't that expensive and has a $50 deductible. You might check with your original dealer, or Newmar.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 04:07 PM   #3

I think you missed my point. I know about extended warranties, had one on my previous coach, but this was not my point. I was trying to say that Newmar are installing Maytag refrigerators that the manufacturer will not warrant if installed in a motorhome. I think many of us assume that Maytag approved the installation of their refrigerator in our coaches but it appears this is not so. If you want coverage you are now forced to take an RV extended warranty, as you have done.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 04:50 PM   #4

Sorry....I did miss your point and thought you were trying to find a way to work around the Maytag warranty, not trying to insult your intelligence about warranties.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:06 PM   #5

I'd ask Maytag where that exclusion is defined in either their warranty on installation requirements documentation. I can certainly understand them having that opinion as the house refrigerator was not designed to take the constant movement.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:43 PM   #6

I looked at the warranty and they stated it is only in effect if installed per the instruction manual.

The instruction manual states that the refrigerator is for household use only.

There you go !
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I looked at the warranty and they stated it is only in effect if installed per the instruction manual.

The instruction manual states that the refrigerator is for household use only.

There you go !
Where I go??
Merriam Webster says a Household is: Full Definition of household. : those who dwell under the same roof and compose a family; also : a social unit composed of those living together in the same dwelling.

Sounds like someone living in an RV to me.
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
Where I go??
Merriam Webster says a Household is: Full Definition of household. : those who dwell under the same roof and compose a family; also : a social unit composed of those living together in the same dwelling.

And you wonder why they now have to put disclaimers on everything to cover anybody who pushes things to the extreme, like...."the contents of this coffee cup may be extremely hot."
Old 01-26-2016, 06:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Where I go??

Tell them not me, I accept the risk.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:53 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Where I go??

I have to agree with you powderman...I take it as stated: "Household"....meaning non-commercial!
lionofjuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:02 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you go to Maytag's extended warranty agreement it states that it is not applicable to refrigerators installed in recreational vehicles. I went down that road and was turned back.
Ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:30 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If unit fails..... Remove to house before calling Maytag
Old 01-27-2016, 06:37 AM   #13
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
What is Newmars response to this; for that matter what has been the response of other rv manufactures concerning this matter?
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:58 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
My question to Newmar would be who is performing the repairs on the Maytag fridge when it does need repair, Newmar or Maytag?

Sounds to me like a CYA or a SOOL situation.

On the other hand, Samsung covered my one and only warranty repair back in 2013 and in fact called me when the original warranty was about to expire asking if I wanted to extend for a selected number of years. I declined and saved that money as no more repairs have been needed.

I guess some manufactures have a different perspective of what constitutes a household and where a residential fridge can be used.

Keep in mind that residential refrigerators have been used in high end RV coaches for many many years prior to them becoming popular in lower end RV's due to the Norcold 1200 fire fiasco and their "Little Black Box" band-aid fix.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator