RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2019, 07:19 AM   #1

No Tail Lights

I just picked up a 2018 leftover New Aire 3341 yesterday. Need some help. My rear park/tail lights do not work. Also the left turn signal in the rear does not work. Front lights and turn signals are okay. Bulbs seem okay. Can anyone tell me where the fuse for these lights are? Don't see anything marked tail/park lights. Dealer's service department is closed until Monday.

jim22385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2019, 03:12 PM   #2

Wow I am having the exact same problem. I called FCCC and they asked if my dash A/C worked - and it doesnít. They said itís probably the PDU (box near chassis disconnect) because thatís the common item for all the failed stuff. There are no fuses for the items in question.

The bulb for the left signal is also bad. Itís bad in a weird way and I suspect caused damage to the PDU.

Needs to be serviced. Iíll be doing that hopefully within the next few weeks.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim22385 View Post
I just picked up a 2018 leftover New Aire 3341 yesterday. Need some help. My rear park/tail lights do not work. Also the left turn signal in the rear does not work. Front lights and turn signals are okay. Bulbs seem okay. Can anyone tell me where the fuse for these lights are? Don't see anything marked tail/park lights. Dealer's service department is closed until Monday.
Congratulations and welcome!
BuckyII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyII View Post
Congratulations and welcome!
Thanks, been lurking for a while Hope to be able to contribute soon.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinergi View Post
Wow I am having the exact same problem. I called FCCC and they asked if my dash A/C worked - and it doesnít. They said itís probably the PDU (box near chassis disconnect) because thatís the common item for all the failed stuff. There are no fuses for the items in question.

The bulb for the left signal is also bad. Itís bad in a weird way and I suspect caused damage to the PDU.

Needs to be serviced. Iíll be doing that hopefully within the next few weeks.
Thanks Cinergi, my dash AC does not work either. Talked to Freightliner customer service who talked to tech at the dealership. Taking voltage readings on the fuse box by the chassis batteries they diagnosed that problem is PDM, part #A66-05252-000. Called a local Freightliner service center and he knew immediately which part was bad and that they had it in stock. He said it is a known problem and that a recall would most likely be coming fairly soon.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:39 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I received a notice about a recall concerning this issue, never received a follow up .
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:05 PM   #7
Rd1

FCCC very rarely issues a recall for their known problems, if ever. the PDM fault has been around for at least 2 years. the new release seems to resolve the problem. when you get a replacement, have the mechanic check the relays and fuses inside the PDM, some PDM boxes 'may be' defective. the fuses and relays are loose and as you drive away, at some point the relays and some fuses may come of and you will experience all sorta of interesting elec grimlings....

also, 'generally' when you first turn the lights, they usually remain on for some 30 min or so.. often, after an overnight park, next day they work for a while, before going of.

your markers lights should also be of , as well as AC and park lights. brake lights work(DOT lights remain on).

I suspect there are many out there, with this problem, who may not even be aware, unless they drive at night and have some one advise them.
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:20 PM   #8
Rd1

one other foot note, when they replace the PDM, batt power is obviously been cut off. MAKE SURE the mechanic knows how to wake up the CD properly. it doesn't take much to get the CD out of center and then you have another big headache.
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:47 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just had the same problem. FCCC Customer Service diagnosed it over the phone as bad PDM. These boards have a weakness which makes them subject to a specific internal short. They had the part overnighted to a local Freightliner shop and they replaced the board (super simple - just about 8 screws in total) in less than an hour and I was good to go.

The somewhat FRUSTRATING thing about this is that Freightliner has been totally aware of this issue for at least a year. I received a preliminary recall letter for it last October. When I took my coach in to Gaffney about a month ago for annual service I showed them the notice and asked for the fix to be installed. They told me they had no diagnostic for this and no fix was authorized as long as everything was working ok -- which mine was at the time. Then 3 weeks later (last week) --- no left brake lights or left turn signal or left emergency flasher. So instead of replacing a known faulty part as preventive maintenance, I had to do so as corrective maintenance which was surely more inconvenient -- but at least covered by warranty. And kudos to Freightliner customer service for expediting the part and minimizing the inconvenience

boiler73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, tail lights