RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2019, 03:17 PM   #1

No tail lights nor running lights

Hello friends, my 2004 Kountry Star 33 gas on W22 will not light the running nor tail lights. I have checked fuses, pulled and reinstalled and still cannot get them to light.

My headlights work fine along with brake lights and turn signals.

Here is a picture of my switch.

Thanks for any help!

Dave

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3453.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	231878

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2019, 03:58 PM   #2

Have you used a test light to check if there is power on both sides of fuse? The fuse can look good but not letting power go through. Possible bulbs burned out? Could check the head light switch to see if there is power to that part of switch that control taillights.
Newmar Man

tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:24 PM   #3

Thanks, I will do those test tomorrow. I don’t think its bulbs as all of them worked and now not one works. I will pull that part of the instrument panel and do some current checks. Thanks again.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:54 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
David-

According to the schematics I have, Fuse #9 (20A) on the interior fuse panel ("C254 I/P EXTN") feeds these circuits:

Instrument Cluster lighting
Left Tail Lamps (through Fuse #42 (5A) on the panel under the hood, "C001 ENG")
Right Tail Lamps (through Fuse #43 (5A) on the panel under the hood, "C001 ENG")
Front Park Lamps (through Fuse #23 (5A) on the interior fuse panel)
License Lamps (through Fuse #17 (10A) on the interior fuse panel)
Marker Lamps (through Fuse #17 (10A) on the interior fuse panel)
Instrument Panel Dimming

It would help to know if all of these are not working, or some.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:02 AM   #5

David --

We spent a lot of time and money running down the same/similar problem or 08 MADP.

1. There's another fuse to check. It's an in-line fuse in the engine compartment for the tail and running lights that's often overlooked. Ours was in the wire sort of hanging down near the master on-off switch; the wires ran to the taillights. When we opened the rubber cover that fuse was fried. Replaced it . . . but the lights were still not working.

2. Solved the problem by taking the shroud off the steering wheel column and discovering that the wiring harness for the lights (the wiring for the lights has to go through the column to activate the turn signals and high beams on our Spartan chassis) had come apart. DISCONNECTED. There had been just enough slack in the wire to connect them but they'd worked loose. Pulled them a tad so the connection wouldn't be so tight, reconnected, and secured them with a zip tie so they wouldn't come apart again. And that solved our problem.

The fuse in the engine compartment has to be good and the harness in the steering column obviously has to be connected.

Hope this helps.

08 Newmar Mountain Aire 4523
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:02 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
David --

We spent a lot of time and money running down the same/similar problem or 08 MADP.

1. There's another fuse to check. It's an in-line fuse in the engine compartment for the tail and running lights that's often overlooked. Ours was in the wire sort of hanging down near the master on-off switch; the wires ran to the taillights. When we opened the rubber cover that fuse was fried. Replaced it . . . but the lights were still not working.

2. Solved the problem by taking the shroud off the steering wheel column and discovering that the wiring harness for the lights (the wiring for the lights has to go through the column to activate the turn signals and high beams on our Spartan chassis) had come apart. DISCONNECTED. There had been just enough slack in the wire to connect them but they'd worked loose. Pulled them a tad so the connection wouldn't be so tight, reconnected, and secured them with a zip tie so they wouldn't come apart again. And that solved our problem.

The fuse in the engine compartment has to be good and the harness in the steering column obviously has to be connected.

Hope this helps.

X2 on my Dutch Star. The fuse underneath my dash directly in front of the steer column was fried.
USMC_1345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #7

Thanks for your help. Here is what I have done so far.

1. Checked current to internal fuse. With light switch off, no current, switch on, current. Put new fuse in but still no parking lights. At least I know the switch itself is working.

2. Removed instrument panel and steering shroud to search for another internal fuse. None found inside.

3. Engine compartment, checked fuses labeled RH tail and LH tail. Both looked good so used volt meter to check for current. Turned ignition switch full on, switched light switch on, no current to these two fuses.

4. Engine compartment, searched for another fuse, none found. Later I will check for a fuse at the tail lights themselves at the rear of coach.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:22 AM   #8

Would keep searching but it gets to a point and it's time to do some rewiring. Had to do some rewiring for ceiling lights on our Essex after 2 days of not finding the wires I needed to repair the lights.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:54 PM   #9

You can pull the wiring diagram for your coach from Newmar.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:31 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Triatik-

"vettenuts" suggestion to get diagrams from Newmar is a great one.

For the chassis itself, here is a link to a Workhorse wiring diagram set for your coach:

2004 Electrical Schematics W22/L18 Chassis

I got my info for post #4 from that set. Start with page 9 of the PDF (POWER DISTRIBUTION SHEET #010 PAGE 5 OF 5).
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:43 AM   #11

Thank you so much for the link. I searched the website and then through all my coach papers looking for the wiring diagrams. Today I can start tracing the wires to see where the issue begins. Thanks again, Dave.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:45 AM   #12

I’m giving up for now. I spent a couple more hours removed the tail lights, no current, removed rear connector and cleaned, no change. It seems somewhere between front and rear is the problem. I never drive at night so not having the tail lights is not a big deal. Brakes and turn signal work fine. When we get back home in April, I will take it to a local dealer to fix, then I will post to let all of you know what he found. Thanks again for your help.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:14 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Did you check for power at the switch? It seems several different fuses are responsible for providing power to the lights. Based on several different fuses I would also look for a relay.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:33 PM   #14

Yes, with a volt meter I could see power at first fuse as I turned the parking lights switch on and off. This week we are at Ho Hum RV park outside Carrabelle, Florida. We are ten feet from the water and just relaxing and enjoying the beautiful views. I need a break from my electrical problem this week. Maybe take it up again next week...maybe. Thanks again, Dave

Tags
light, lights, tail lights