Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #1

Noisy AC units

I recently purchased a 2012 Baystar 3002 (the 31' model with the dinette and 2 free standing chairs) and have a question about the 2 roof mounted AC units. While the AC system works fine both units are very loud especially the one in the bedroom where the ceiling vibrates when this one unit is on. 2 Newmar dealers say this is a normal condition because these units are on the roof. It just doesn't seem right to make so much noise and vibration (in the bedroom). Prior to this I've had 5 travel trailers and never had this problem but these trailers only had 1 AC unit with no duct work. This is my 1st motorhome and my 1st experience with an AC system of 2 units with heat pumps and duct work in the ceiling. Does this sound normal? Does anybody else have this excessive noise issue or am I looking too much into this an should just deal with it? Any feedback on this problem would be appreciated. Many thanks for your help.
freerollr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #2

No vibrations from mine & most off the noise comes from the airflow through the vents which helps me sleep.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not normal at all.....think the dealer's a little off with his statement. There is obviously some noise from roof a/c's but vibration shouldn't be present. I would insist on dealer fix. Could be a mounting gasket problem or fan out of balance ???
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi freerollr,
Welcome to iRV2. Noise and vibration are normal from the roof mounted units. However, the noise and vibration should be minimal and in the background. In other words you'll know the units are running, but that is about it. When running and I touch the ceiling I can feel a very slight vibration.

There can be several causes for excessive noise and vibration. The most common was posted by DandS. The fan out of balance or not mounted on the rubber mounts correctly is usually the cause of excessive noise and vibration.

The reason the dealer may not want to tackle the problem is they usually replace the entire unit. The fan motor is not easy to replace.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #5

I had a lot of ceiling noise prior to changing both AC shrouds. They were cracked and the source of the noise. Perhaps your shrouds were not install properly. There's a grid of 2" x 2" foam that must be place in specific locations between the shroud and the cover. You might want to take one shroud off to see if the noise disapears. Paul
----------------------------
2004 MACA 3778 2008 CR-V
tyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #6

I had a similar problem on my Bay Star. The cause was that the rear of the A/C on roof hangs unsupported towards the rear. The hole in the bottom of the unit is not centered so the result is overhang. My solution was to support the rear (overhang)by installing a wedge for support. Result, normal noise, no vibration.
lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
One way to address is to set the fan on low (instead of auto). Less interruption with the fan turning on and off. The compressor on/off shouldn't be noticed as much.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
My 2012 Bay Star 2901 has 2 AC units also and the front one (15K w/HP) sounded like a Huey helio was on the roof. A Newmar approved repair facility found the fan/motor was bent and Newmar sent a replacement fan/motor assembly. After it was installed the Huey left and has not returned.

They initially tried loosing the attachment screws, retighting them, and them finally examining the AC's inards.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
noisey a/c

my damon ultrasport seems a little loud on both ducted a/c's plus a little vibration, had a mud dobbers nest get on the fan last year, felt like it was coming apart. goes to show a little out of balance creates a big vibration,
bcbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #10

My Canyon star in also loud I run the front unit when I am in the bedroom and the back unit when I am in the front
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote