RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2017, 05:39 AM   #1

Non comfort drive Dutch star vs comfort drive Ventana

I am doing research on the next coach we may purchase in fall of 2018.

Our budget is about 70k, that gets me a a 2004ish Dutch star or a 2006 Ventana. In a year that will be 2005-2006 Dutch star or a 2007-2008 Ventana.

I have never driven a Diesel pusher (my coach is a 2005 Gasser).

Given a choice would a comfort drive Ventana be better than a non comfort drive Dutch star?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2017, 06:19 AM   #2

I think you would find most of us with comfort drive would say yes. But really, if the floor plan works, the coach is well maintained and it fits your budget either one would be good.

Another thought, if possible drive one with comfort drive and one without, especially on a windy day and see if that helps you make up your mind. Good luck and hope you find the one that works for you.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
I think you would find most of us with comfort drive would say yes. But really, if the floor plan works, the coach is well maintained and it fits your budget either one would be good.

Another thought, if possible drive one with comfort drive and one without, especially on a windy day and see if that helps you make up your mind. Good luck and hope you find the one that works for you.
Thank,

I am a bit away from test drives yet, I am in research mode at the moment:-)
Old 10-07-2017, 08:24 AM   #4
jrs

At Hershey, I was able to confirm with factory reps that the Comfort Drive will aid in controlling a steer tire blowout.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All I can say is, I came from a DP coach without ComfortDrive and now having owned one with it, I'll never go back to a coach without it. What a difference!

Best of luck in your quest!
NH Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We went from a 39' gasser to a 43' DSDP with a tag wheel. I was in heaven! I got to hate driving the gasser and had immediate joy with the DSDP.

Our coach does NOT have CD and I'm very pleased with the drive. However, I have driven a couple CD equipped coaches and they make it that much better.

Personally, if your budget is a factor you might find either a VTDP or DSDP with a tag axle, with our without CD, a huge improvement over your gasser. It is my belief that a shorter, single axle DP will show more of an improvement with CD vs a tag axle DP will.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post
At Hershey, I was able to confirm with factory reps that the Comfort Drive will aid in controlling a steer tire blowout.
Can any of you Comfort Drive users explain how exactly it helps you in event of a front tire blowout? Does it actually sense the blowout and then does something about it?
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:41 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have never driven a rig with Comfort Drive, our two DSDP's were too old and frankly I never thought they needed any help with the steering.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:04 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Dancer View Post
Can any of you Comfort Drive users explain how exactly it helps you in event of a front tire blowout? Does it actually sense the blowout and then does something about it?
Comfort Drive will help prevent the coach from lurching to the side of the blowout, especially when a front tire blows. It tries to maintain the driving line established by the steering wheel position.

Ken Sherwin, the CD designer, had a post not too long ago describing in some detail how this works. He tested the system with many "created" blowouts (explosive charge to blow the tire) during the development phase. You might do a search for that thread.

BTW, after having a coach with CD, I wouldn't consider buying a new coach without CD. It is just that good!
Old 10-07-2017, 03:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Comfort Drive will help prevent the coach from lurching to the side of the blowout, especially when a front tire blows. It tries to maintain the driving line established by the steering wheel position.

Ken Sherwin, the CD designer, had a post not too long ago describing in some detail how this works. He tested the system with many "created" blowouts (explosive charge to blow the tire) during the development phase. You might do a search for that thread.

BTW, after having a coach with CD, I wouldn't consider buying a new coach without CD. It is just that good!
Yes, I looked for answers to my technical questions, but all I could find is that the Comfort Control uses a operator-selected zero null as the reference for the point which it tries to return to. Which to me is not good enough in the event of a front tire blowout, since the requirement will be to go past this zero point. That's the reason I asked whether the system senses the blowout and selects a new null. Right now, I'm guessing it's up to the operator to set the new null. But, I'll keep researching. Thanks
Old 10-07-2017, 03:14 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
The "null" doesn't change as the result of a blowout; CD will assist in maintaining the same line as before the blowout. It uses a weighted average from the previous 30 seconds or so to determine the "null." Maintaining the same line is what you would want to do in the event of a blowout; at least until you are confident that you have the coach under control.

TJ
Old 10-07-2017, 04:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
The "null" doesn't change as the result of a blowout; CD will assist in maintaining the same line as before the blowout. It uses a weighted average from the previous 30 seconds or so to determine the "null." Maintaining the same line is what you would want to do in the event of a blowout; at least until you are confident that you have the coach under control.

TJ
Yes, by all means, it's still up to the driver to immediately and simultaneously execute the critical first two steps in the correct procedure. I'm just interested in finding out exactly what the Comfort Control does and how quickly it does it. IMO you only have 2 to 3 seconds to do it. Thanks, I'll keep looking.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tire blow out with Comfort Drive
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
We went from a 39' gasser to a 43' DSDP with a tag wheel. I was in heaven! I got to hate driving the gasser and had immediate joy with the DSDP.

Our coach does NOT have CD and I'm very pleased with the drive. However, I have driven a couple CD equipped coaches and they make it that much better.

Personally, if your budget is a factor you might find either a VTDP or DSDP with a tag axle, with our without CD, a huge improvement over your gasser. It is my belief that a shorter, single axle DP will show more of an improvement with CD vs a tag axle DP will.
It was great meeting you and Sandee at Sedalia. Time to trade for that Ventana. I love the comfort drive and would never have a coach without it. Travel safe!

Tags
dutch star, vent, ventana