RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-07-2017, 05:39 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Unicorn Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 5,966
Non comfort drive Dutch star vs comfort drive Ventana

I am doing research on the next coach we may purchase in fall of 2018.

Our budget is about 70k, that gets me a a 2004ish Dutch star or a 2006 Ventana. In a year that will be 2005-2006 Dutch star or a 2007-2008 Ventana.

I have never driven a Diesel pusher (my coach is a 2005 Gasser).

Given a choice would a comfort drive Ventana be better than a non comfort drive Dutch star?
__________________

__________________
2008 Itasca Latitude 37g UFO Gas pusher.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JKU.
Unicorn Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2017, 06:19 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
TomandGloria's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chester, VA/Zephyrhills, FL
Posts: 1,165
I think you would find most of us with comfort drive would say yes. But really, if the floor plan works, the coach is well maintained and it fits your budget either one would be good.

Another thought, if possible drive one with comfort drive and one without, especially on a windy day and see if that helps you make up your mind. Good luck and hope you find the one that works for you.
__________________

__________________
Tom and Gloria 2017 Newmar Ventana 4369, TOAD: 2015 GMC Canyon, Blue Ox Towbar, Baseplate and M&G Braking System
TomandGloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:38 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Unicorn Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 5,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
I think you would find most of us with comfort drive would say yes. But really, if the floor plan works, the coach is well maintained and it fits your budget either one would be good.

Another thought, if possible drive one with comfort drive and one without, especially on a windy day and see if that helps you make up your mind. Good luck and hope you find the one that works for you.
Thank,

I am a bit away from test drives yet, I am in research mode at the moment:-)
__________________
2008 Itasca Latitude 37g UFO Gas pusher.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JKU.
Unicorn Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:24 AM   #4
jrs
Senior Member
 
jrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Full Timers
Posts: 343
At Hershey, I was able to confirm with factory reps that the Comfort Drive will aid in controlling a steer tire blowout.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
NH Dave's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 670
All I can say is, I came from a DP coach without ComfortDrive and now having owned one with it, I'll never go back to a coach without it. What a difference!

Best of luck in your quest!
__________________
- NH DAVE -
The Rig: 2015 Newmar London Aire 4599 - Triple Bunk (Cummins ISX 15L - 600HP/FL-SL)
The Toad: 2017 GMC Sierra Denali (6.2L)
NH Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Sky_Boss's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ON THE ROAD...SOMEWHERE
Posts: 6,834
We went from a 39' gasser to a 43' DSDP with a tag wheel. I was in heaven! I got to hate driving the gasser and had immediate joy with the DSDP.

Our coach does NOT have CD and I'm very pleased with the drive. However, I have driven a couple CD equipped coaches and they make it that much better.

Personally, if your budget is a factor you might find either a VTDP or DSDP with a tag axle, with our without CD, a huge improvement over your gasser. It is my belief that a shorter, single axle DP will show more of an improvement with CD vs a tag axle DP will.
__________________
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Guardian GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 2015 DSDP 4320 4369, FL Chassis, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:34 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post
At Hershey, I was able to confirm with factory reps that the Comfort Drive will aid in controlling a steer tire blowout.
Can any of you Comfort Drive users explain how exactly it helps you in event of a front tire blowout? Does it actually sense the blowout and then does something about it?
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:41 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 36,499
Have never driven a rig with Comfort Drive, our two DSDP's were too old and frankly I never thought they needed any help with the steering.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 Jeep JKU Dragon Edition
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:04 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Tranquil Jim's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Posts: 3,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Dancer View Post
Can any of you Comfort Drive users explain how exactly it helps you in event of a front tire blowout? Does it actually sense the blowout and then does something about it?
Comfort Drive will help prevent the coach from lurching to the side of the blowout, especially when a front tire blows. It tries to maintain the driving line established by the steering wheel position.

Ken Sherwin, the CD designer, had a post not too long ago describing in some detail how this works. He tested the system with many "created" blowouts (explosive charge to blow the tire) during the development phase. You might do a search for that thread.

BTW, after having a coach with CD, I wouldn't consider buying a new coach without CD. It is just that good!
__________________
Jim (W7DHC), Diane & Mini Schnauzers, Lizzy & Ellie
2018 Mountain Aire 4047 + 2014 Honda CR-V "toad" w/AF1
Tranquil Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:05 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Comfort Drive will help prevent the coach from lurching to the side of the blowout, especially when a front tire blows. It tries to maintain the driving line established by the steering wheel position.

Ken Sherwin, the CD designer, had a post not too long ago describing in some detail how this works. He tested the system with many "created" blowouts (explosive charge to blow the tire) during the development phase. You might do a search for that thread.

BTW, after having a coach with CD, I wouldn't consider buying a new coach without CD. It is just that good!
Yes, I looked for answers to my technical questions, but all I could find is that the Comfort Control uses a operator-selected zero null as the reference for the point which it tries to return to. Which to me is not good enough in the event of a front tire blowout, since the requirement will be to go past this zero point. That's the reason I asked whether the system senses the blowout and selects a new null. Right now, I'm guessing it's up to the operator to set the new null. But, I'll keep researching. Thanks
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:14 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Tranquil Jim's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Posts: 3,287
The "null" doesn't change as the result of a blowout; CD will assist in maintaining the same line as before the blowout. It uses a weighted average from the previous 30 seconds or so to determine the "null." Maintaining the same line is what you would want to do in the event of a blowout; at least until you are confident that you have the coach under control.

TJ
__________________
Jim (W7DHC), Diane & Mini Schnauzers, Lizzy & Ellie
2018 Mountain Aire 4047 + 2014 Honda CR-V "toad" w/AF1
Tranquil Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:00 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
The "null" doesn't change as the result of a blowout; CD will assist in maintaining the same line as before the blowout. It uses a weighted average from the previous 30 seconds or so to determine the "null." Maintaining the same line is what you would want to do in the event of a blowout; at least until you are confident that you have the coach under control.

TJ
Yes, by all means, it's still up to the driver to immediately and simultaneously execute the critical first two steps in the correct procedure. I'm just interested in finding out exactly what the Comfort Control does and how quickly it does it. IMO you only have 2 to 3 seconds to do it. Thanks, I'll keep looking.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #13
Community Moderator
 
"007"'s Avatar


 
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 30,019
Tire blow out with Comfort Drive
__________________
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans
VISIT the NEWMAR QUICK TIPS & EASYMODS 1 & 2
QUICK TIPS # 3
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:29 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
TomandGloria's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chester, VA/Zephyrhills, FL
Posts: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
We went from a 39' gasser to a 43' DSDP with a tag wheel. I was in heaven! I got to hate driving the gasser and had immediate joy with the DSDP.

Our coach does NOT have CD and I'm very pleased with the drive. However, I have driven a couple CD equipped coaches and they make it that much better.

Personally, if your budget is a factor you might find either a VTDP or DSDP with a tag axle, with our without CD, a huge improvement over your gasser. It is my belief that a shorter, single axle DP will show more of an improvement with CD vs a tag axle DP will.
It was great meeting you and Sandee at Sedalia. Time to trade for that Ventana. I love the comfort drive and would never have a coach without it. Travel safe!
__________________

__________________
Tom and Gloria 2017 Newmar Ventana 4369, TOAD: 2015 GMC Canyon, Blue Ox Towbar, Baseplate and M&G Braking System
TomandGloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dutch star, vent, ventana



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dutch Star vs. Ventana vs. Ventana LE Cherokee180C Class A Motorhome Discussions 17 07-13-2016 04:48 AM
Ventana LE, Ventana, or Dutch Star??? FlyFishinRVr Newmar Owner's Forum 29 11-15-2015 05:53 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×