RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2018, 07:44 PM   #1

Noob in need of help!

Hey y'all! Been lurking for a while, finally created an account, and now for my first post/question. DW and I are in our early 50s and ready for a major life change (empty nesters & this work thing is not as fun as it used to be) and looking to buy our first RV with the intention of FT for the first year and depending on how that goes, will stay FT or build a small port home near Guntersville, AL to base out of it and travel as the urge comes. Being from north AL, we've had ample access to Tiffin MHs (Allegro Bus). Nice, close to Red Bay, but the more I've researched and read, the more I was drawn to Entegra Aspire and most interested in the Newmar Dutch Star 4369 floorpan specifically.

Finally the question....the closest Newmar dealer we can find is NIRVC in Lawrenceville, Georgia...which we plan to go visit soonest. Does anyone here have a recommendation on a specific salesperson to ask for?

We would prefer to buy used for the savings/depreciation/bugs worked out- as long as MY 2016 or later. Up in the air b/w Spartan or Freightliner...just don't have any personal experience between the 2 chassis. Also not tied to buying from NIRVC specifically, just thought it would be a good opportunity to see Newmar and Entegras side by side and specifically see multiple options in the DS 4369. Am open to private sellers or dealers. Just need to see the coach in person to confirm what we are thinking. Thanks in advance and we welcome any advice! Cheers.
v/r
bill

HSVBCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2018, 08:41 PM   #2

2017 DS has the best chassis. Itís a Spartan, best year cause it is only one with air disc brakes on every axle. Canít beat it.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:30 PM   #3

Thanks for the response Stretch! Are the disc brakes not available in Spartan chassis from 16 or 18? Sorry if that is a dumb question...just don't know.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:13 PM   #4

Give Angie at NIRVC a call at *(214) 392-1100‬. While she is not in Lawrenceville all the time, she is excellent and can find you a great new or used coach and will be glad to meet you in Georgia on a mutually acceptable date. She has made a whole series of YouTube videos you can watch that show many models of both Newmars and Entegras. All JMHO
Old 10-21-2018, 12:03 AM   #5

Hsvbc
Disc brakes are available for all Spartans. However 2017 was the last year for all axles. Standard shoe brakes are used tag axle and drive axles. Front axle has disc brakes still. 2018 and newer models are like this.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:40 AM   #6

Thanks for the clarification Stretch.

Ann n Gene, Iíve watch many of Angieís videos. Very helpful. I didnít realize she would come to GA as I thought she was in TX. Thanks for the info!
Old 10-21-2018, 06:32 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Call Tony Morse at NIRVC
Worked with him this past year on a purchase of a MA and was very satisfied
Old 10-21-2018, 08:25 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Noob in need of help!

The Newmar spec for brakes on the Dutch Star is disc on front axle and drum on the drive and tag.

In 2017, Spartan K2 chassis was added back as an option for the Dutch Star after a few years where it was not available. Since Spartan was not geared up to provide the drum brakes as specified by Newmar, they put disc brakes on all three axles.

To get disc brakes on all three axles today, you have to buy a used 2017 or go with the K3 chassis - Mountain Aire or above.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golferdave78 View Post
Call Tony Morse at NIRVC
Worked with him this past year on a purchase of a MA and was very satisfied
Thanks for the recommendation Dave!
Old 10-21-2018, 09:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
The Newmar spec for brakes on the Dutch Star is disc on front axle and drum on the drive and tag.

In 2017, Spartan K2 chassis was added back as an option for the Dutch Star after a few years where it was not available. Since Spartan was not geared up to provide the drum brakes as specified by Newmar, they put disc brakes on all three axles.

To get disc brakes on all three axles today, you have to buy a used 2017 or go with the K3 chassis - Mountain Aire or above.

Got it, thanks!
Old 10-21-2018, 01:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBCB View Post
Thanks for the clarification Stretch.

Ann n Gene, Iíve watch many of Angieís videos. Very helpful. I didnít realize she would come to GA as I thought she was in TX. Thanks for the info!

Yes! Angie goes to Georgia frequently. NIRVC has a unique business model. They are driven by Customer first, Service, Storage and then sales. It is a model that I have enjoyed watching and benefiting from for several years. And it is working great as they will soon expand to their fourth city. They will soon have a network of stores across the country in major RV travel patterns where we can get Service from them nationwide as we enjoy our coaches traveling. All JMHO
Old 10-21-2018, 05:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
Yes! Angie goes to Georgia frequently. NIRVC has a unique business model. They are driven by Customer first, Service, Storage and then sales. It is a model that I have enjoyed watching and benefiting from for several years. And it is working great as they will soon expand to their fourth city. They will soon have a network of stores across the country in major RV travel patterns where we can get Service from them nationwide as we enjoy our coaches traveling. All JMHO
Ann n Gene,
That is exciting. Having the ability to get service after the sale across the US would be a dream. I will definitely reach out to Angie. Thanks again for the advice and insight.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:24 PM   #13

Following on that thought, I would go for the Freightliner chassis because of the greater availability of service locations accross the country. Spartan makes a great chassis but for me service is more important than disc brakes. Letís face it we arenít running an 18 wheeler with a full load. The disc/drum brake combination is more than adequate for the job and chances are youíll never wear them out.
Charlandpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:41 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Love our 2018 DS 4369. Dittos on comments about NIRVC.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor, Newmar KK Lone Stars South
Dutch Star David is offline   Reply With Quote