RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2007, 04:51 AM   #15

Hi Ron...From MY experience, I found that my puny cooling situation is DIRECTLY related to how hot it is outside...During summer in south Alabama my fridge struggles to get to mid 40s and the freezer hovers at 5-8..I NEVER have heard my fans run..to be addressed shortly. When camping last week with temps in the 20s to 50s and my t stat set to #5, my box was in the very low 30s..we kept the coach at about 74. So it appears that your problem is not a fan problem, but something else, unless your outside temps were hot...

footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2007, 06:22 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
I had the exact problem and it seems I have become an expert on these fridges.

First, if the heating column isn't hot then it isn't cooling. That generally is because the electric heating elements are both not working, the LP burner isn't working or there is a clog in the coils w/the ammonia.

Second, if the coils are not hot then probably a clog. If you release the clog it will happen again per multiple dealers. Then you might not be in warranty.

The Norcold dealer will test the heating elements, then direct wire the elements so they are on full blast for 6 hours. If the unit isn't showing a certain temperature then they replace the cooling unit. This is per Norcold procedure.

If it is cool then they diagnose the board, thermal disc etc. Those fans not working means a lot per Norcold and countless folks on this forum.

For me it looks to be both the cooling unit and the thermal disc. I have the unit heating up in back great but, the fans don't come on. That will be fixed at factory this month. Will update then.

JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:10 PM   #17

My 1200LRIM Norcold has exactly the same problem. It would take up to 2 days to get it to 38 deg. The ice maker in the same time frame makes about 15 cubes of ice. The dealer could not find anything wrong. Any clues?
jdl_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:57 AM   #18

I see my post has been resurrected, and I am sorry to hear that your 1200LRIM is not performing well. Since I placed my initial post, I had the unit worked on several times, and ultimately Norcold authorized replacement of the cooling unit twice and the fans once. Performance improved slightly, but the unit still could not maintain 40 degrees on its coldest setting in the Florida heat. My tech told me that he works on this model frequently, and in his opinion, the unit does not have sufficient cooling capacity for its size. Anyway, I finally ran out of patience and Norcold got tired of paying the dealer to work on the unit. After three years, lots of down time, and several contacts with Norcold, Norcold authorized replacing the fridge with the updated model. Unit now maintains 38 degrees on setting "6".
Old 03-26-2008, 06:38 AM   #19

I wonder what is meant by "updated model" and when Norcold decided they needed to update? What changed in the unit?

Jack
Old 03-26-2008, 07:39 AM   #20

I don't know. I can attest that the replacement fridge works well. It was not an exact replacement, because the drawers were designed differently and I had to have new wood panels from Newmar, because the original panels would not fit. I do not know if there were any changes to the mechanics of the unit.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:46 PM   #21

927palmetto, i like the replacement solution very much. Do you mind passing along the contact information at Norcold together with your case number? I think it would be a long shot for me to get them to pay attention without a strong case like yours. Norcold should at least recognize this to be a flaw in their design and honor the request for replacement.
jdl_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:01 AM   #22

I do not have that information handy. In order to build my case, I provided the dealer and Norcold with a log of temperature readings in the fridge/freezer compared with ambient temps. It was clear that the unit could not cool correctly if ambient temp was in excess of about 78 degrees. I also got my Norcold customer service rep to admit that this performance was not acceptable. According to the rep, the unit should maintain 40 degrees on its coldest setting, regardless of ambient temp. When it came time for me to demand replacement (after 2 1/2 years of repairs), Norcold tried the "you did not have mandatory service done in second year, so no warranty" routine. Needless to say, that did not fare well with me, and Norcold finally stepped up to the plate. I think the dealer provided a lot of assistance as well, and pushed for a replacement unit. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #23

A possible fix???

I see many people have the same problem as I have with there Norcold 1200. I've checked everything I can think of and the suggestions in this forum and my fridge still performs poorly. The performance of my unit degraded slowly. I know rust is a poor thermal conductor so I tried to remove the heaters, with the intent of cleaning them up and coating them with thermal grease, the kind that Radio Shack sells. I could only move them up and down about two inches because they were stuck and because I could hardly get to them through the access door. Even so I spread some of the grease on the top two inches of the heaters and the temperature on the fins dropped from 44 to 38 degrees within an hour. I was impressed but am not totally convinced. I wonder if anyone has a similar fridge that they could totally remove the heaters, clean off the rust and coat them with the thermal grease? I would be great if an inexpensive fix would work.
Fabwa Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #24

I have this fridge and it has never performed satisfactorily in hot weather - which is a problem since most of our use is in Lake Havasu City AZ in the spring & summer! The dealer has replaced our cooling unit twice, 1st time as part of the recall, the second after we took it back for poor performance, luckily we carry the extended warranty and it only cost us our deductible, however it still does not perfrom to the level we feel it should in Hot weather. It would seem to me that the cooling unit is not large enough for the size of the fridge.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:30 AM   #25

As stated in my prior post, I finally got a replacement unit from Norcold. I do not know how it differs from my original unit, but it has worked flawlessly since installation. If you are within warranty, I would push for a replacement.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #26

No joy for me...we are the 2nd owners of this 2003 Fleetwood so I haven't been able to get anything done under warranty. I do have the Good Sam extended warranty which has covered the cooling unit replacement but don't think I can get a total replacement under it.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:07 AM   #27
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome new members to irv2 and to Newmar owners welcome to the Newmar forum.
For starters here is a link for your Norcold refrigerator.
As has been mentioned your fans have to operate for proper cooling, vents have to be clear, good 12v's from house batteries are needed for starters.
Once these have checked we can get into more difficult problems.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:38 AM   #28

Yep...all of this has been verified by the local dealer who replaced the cooling unit both times. Works ok when temperatures are below 85 - 90, but once above - all summer long in my case here in AZ - then performance suffers.