Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2017, 07:28 PM   #1

Norcold 1201 problem: Fridge won't run

Recently, we were fortunate enough to pick up a 2005 KSDP 3910. It is in great shape, and we love it.

However, we discovered recently that the fridge was not working. There was no display on the control panel.

I thought originally that it might have had something to do with the recall. We confirmed that there was power to the elements when the generator was running.

As we went through the troubleshooting process, I realized that the battery readout was acting rather wonky. The lights were quite dim, and a call to the nice folks at Newmar confirmed that I had screwed up by not having the coach plugged in. It sat for about 10 days without being plugged in. I mistakenly believed that the solar panel on the roof would prevent the batteries from running down.

When I plugged the coach in last night, the batteries were low, but not completely dead. I went and looked this afternoon, and the battery readout was no longer wonky, and the lights were much brighter than they were before.

However, the fridge will not operate. There is no light at all on the control panel display, even though the gauge is telling me the batteries are fully charged, putting out 13.8 volts.

I was expecting that charging the batteries would bring the fridge back to life. It seem too coincidental for the fridge to develop a problem separate from the battery level.

I am wondering if anyone out there has experienced a similar problem. I am not very knowledgeable regarding how these things work. I do know that the control panel requires 12 volt power, or it will not operate on electricity or propane. I have tried to find information on how to reset the control panel or the fridge, but so far I have come up empty.

I would be very grateful if anyone out there has any advice to share.

Thank you in advance.

David
David Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2017, 08:04 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
A few things to check:

- have you checked the refrig fuse? Should be a push button DC fuse.
- did you open the access panel on the side of the coach to see if the 'recall box' has the red light lit?
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
A few things to check:

- have you checked the refrig fuse? Should be a push button DC fuse.

- did you open the access panel on the side of the coach to see if the 'recall box' has the red light lit?

I checked the circuit breaker and fuse for fridge. I even turned the breaker off and then back on, no joy.

I also took off the outside cover off, and located the recall box. The red light is on. (I am getting confused, I thought the red light meant it was operating properly).

No problems with the fridge prior to letting batteries run down. Also contacted previous owner. They had it from new, and never had any problems with the fridge.

Thanks for the advice. I am considering the magnet reset option. My understanding is that it should not be used unless you can identify a specific reason for the fridge problem. I think that a lack of 12 volt power to the fridge probably qualifies, since the recall is part of the 12 volt system which supplies the control panel.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:26 PM   #4

PROBLEM SOLVED: When I went to the coach this evening, the battery was fully charged. I had taken some magnets with me, and decided to give it a try. I had magnets that joined together, and when I used 4 or 5 of them, I heard a "click", and the red light went on.

When I went inside, voila, the fridge was working. We will keep checking it over the next few days, but I am pretty confident that the source of the problem was my own stupidity. Fortunately, the lesson was not an expensive one.

So, Happy trails to all. I'm sure we will meet some of you on the road.

Cheers,

David
Old 07-26-2017, 10:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNLyon View Post
PROBLEM SOLVED: When I went to the coach this evening, the battery was fully charged. I had taken some magnets with me, and decided to give it a try. I had magnets that joined together, and when I used 4 or 5 of them, I heard a "click", and the red light went on.

When I went inside, voila, the fridge was working. We will keep checking it over the next few days, but I am pretty confident that the source of the problem was my own stupidity. Fortunately, the lesson was not an expensive one.

So, Happy trails to all. I'm sure we will meet some of you on the road.

Cheers,

David

Correction: the red light went OFF.

Tags
fridge, norcold