Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2018, 08:15 PM   #1

Norcold 1210 Cooling Issue

Hi, I have been having cooling issues with our Norcold 1210. If we are on site for more then a week the fridge quits working but once we move the RV the fridge functions fine. I assume cooling coils are getting blocked. Have considered going with the Amish cooling unit as we want the propane option for boondocking. Does anyone have experience with an installer in the central plains states? We will leave Winnipeg, MB for Rio Grande Valley in OCT and wondered if I could get a unit properly installed on our way south vs going to an installer in Indiana. I note positive comments on JC Refrigeration of Shipshewana, IN - comments on their work?

Darrell
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2018, 08:25 PM   #2
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell-Ruth View Post
Hi, I have been having cooling issues with our Norcold 1210. If we are on site for more then a week the fridge quits working but once we move the RV the fridge functions fine. I assume cooling coils are getting blocked. Have considered going with the Amish cooling unit as we want the propane option for boondocking. Does anyone have experience with an installer in the central plains states? We will leave Winnipeg, MB for Rio Grande Valley in OCT and wondered if I could get a unit properly installed on our way south vs going to an installer in Indiana. I note positive comments on JC Refrigeration of Shipshewana, IN - comments on their work?

Darrell
JC Refrigeration is highly recommended. I would seriously consider giving him a call about getting the work done. I assume you have been to their website? It looks like there are (3) different options to choose from.

http://jc-refrigeration.com/
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:59 PM   #3

Quote:
If we are on site for more then a week the fridge quits working but once we move the RV the fridge functions fine. I assume cooling coils are getting blocked.
Before you go to all the expense and trouble of replacing the cooling system, give Dinosaur Electronics in Oregon a call (or Email). These guys make direct replacement electronic boards for RV refrigeration systems. I believe that's all they do -- and they do it well.

And if you haven't found any of the dreaded yellow powder in your exterior refrigerator cabinet, you could just have an electronics problem. And replacing the board is a whole lot easier and cheaper than replacing the cooling unit.

We had random funky problems with our Dometic refrigerator when we bought our Chinook and the dealer replaced the stock Dometic board with a Dinosaur Electronics board. It's worked perfectly ever since -- almost 6 years now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:22 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:

Darrell
Mine has been misbehaving lately too with no error codes. I turned mine off for 2 days and she has been running well for 2 weeks now. Good luck.
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:30 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

Darrell
Hello Darrell, have you tried to run it strictly on propane?
Old 08-12-2018, 10:34 AM   #6

Hi Palehorse89, the same cooling issue occurred in propane. Darrell
Old 09-02-2018, 01:04 PM   #7

Last December I replaced my 1210 cooling unit with the Dutch Air hydrogen version from JC Refrigeration. Works great and did the work myself. Our factory cooling unit developed a leak and so it was an obvious fail. JC Refrigeration now makes a compressor powered replacment cooling unit that draws under one amp when running. Had this been available back in December I would have used that version. The compressor model should be far more efficent and be less affected by warm weather. Check JC Refrigeration website.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:03 PM   #8

Unplug the 4 leads from circuit board for the electric heater elements (2 black leads and 2 yellow leads)

Connect the 2 black leads together and the 2 yellow leads together then plug the '2' leads diretly into a 120V AC power source , turn fridge on and operate fridge fro at least 12hrs with the elements energized continuously.
This will 'bypass' all controls AND circuit board

IF cooling unit is functioning freezer temps will go below 10*F (or lower) and food compartment temps will get down to 32*F (or lower)

IF not..cooling unit is obstructed/blockage and needs replaced etc
IF temps do drop..then circuit board and or thermistor is bad

Simple FREE test.....
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Unplug the 4 leads from circuit board for the electric heater elements (2 black leads and 2 yellow leads)

Connect the 2 black leads together and the 2 yellow leads together then plug the '2' leads diretly into a 120V AC power source , turn fridge on and operate fridge fro at least 12hrs with the elements energized continuously.
This will 'bypass' all controls AND circuit board

IF cooling unit is functioning freezer temps will go below 10*F (or lower) and food compartment temps will get down to 32*F (or lower)

IF not..cooling unit is obstructed/blockage and needs replaced etc
IF temps do drop..then circuit board and or thermistor is bad

Simple FREE test.....
Thx for info Old Biscuit and sorry for delay in my response. My fridge has been working since it was driven on the highway so assume your procedure would not answer my question - am I correct in that assumption?
Old 09-17-2018, 09:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Thx for info Old Biscuit and sorry for delay in my response. My fridge has been working since it was driven on the highway so assume your procedure would not answer my question - am I correct in that assumption?

Working is working..........

IF it gets fussy again try running it as suggested.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:20 AM   #11

Hi All, I was quite sure I posted the outcome (at least for me) of my issue but when checking IRV2 on another matter today noticed that I could not find my final post. Not sure what happened. In any case I went with JC Refrigeration of Shipshewana, IN in mid Oct 2018 and very happy with results.

Tags
cooling, norcold