Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Norcold fridg.

Getting ready to go on our first trip in our 2008 Cayon Star 3641. We brought home the coach about a month ago, still learning all the systems. They went through coach at the dealership, we just turned on the fridge. We had a travel trailer before this with the same brand fridge but smaller. Its been on for about 2hrs with little change in temp. How long does it take for it to start cooling down. It is on auto at #5. I am on shore power. Thank you for any help.
Logrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #2

At least 24 hrs. We always pre-cool our items at home before putting them in our RV refrigerator. If you have a Norcold 1200 it may take up to 36 hrs to cool down.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The fridge will take about 8 hours but in about 2 you check the freezer compartments you will feel the cold on back wall.
To help the box section use the food from your inside fridge pre-cooled and it will help your RV fridge.
There is information in this link in case you have a problem but if dealer has checked it out correctly you should have a good trip.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the help.......... Now have ice in the trays
Logrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use one of these to take the guess work out of monitoring the freezer and refrigerator. It also allows us to monitor the temperatures while underway.

http://www.ambientweather.com/ch986.html

Disclaimer : I am in no way connected with the manufacture or retailer of this recommendation.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #6

RV type refridgerators

I am on my 7th rv since 1983 and all my refrigerators have been rv type units rather than all electric home type units. The key to getting good service from rv type units is to be patient. They will cool and, if they have an ice maker, will make plenty of ice. Make sure, if you are not hooked up to shore/city water, to have the water pump turned on. Getting air in the water supply line is not a good thing because it takes much longer for ice to become available once you realize the refrigerator has no water supply.

Following maintence procedures, which are provided with the refrigerator, is also beneficial.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #7
CBQ

Airflow is important. There is no circulation fan in most RV fridges. Placing a large, warm item on a top shelf will throw the whole thing off and push temps over 40 for an extended period of time.

Put smaller items up top, and leave some space between them. Don't pack the shelves at the top completely full or you will have performance problems on warm days. Put larger items that will block airflow (food trays for example) lower in the unit.
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #8

Since this thread is recent, and if it is proper, would someone familiar with Norcold 1200LRIM who knows the ice maker model number please share it with me. I understand Lowe's sells a usable replacement. A starting point Norcold number would be great.
Help please.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #9

SilverBlivit,

I have 1200lrim in 05 Bounder and replaced the ice maker two years ago.

I don't have the model number. Take the old one out and bring it Lowes/Home depot and they will get you the right replacement. It is the same ice maker used in residential refrigerators. Unplug and shut the water first..

Francis
canyon453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #10

Icemake

Thanks Francis,
Taking it out and heading to Lowe's in the morning.
These forums are much help.
Ken
Old 04-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #11

MJFZ: http://www.ambientweather.com/ch986.html
AwwwwwMaaaannnn!
That's the neatest thing I've seen to keep tabs on the refer!
I bought it immediately.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:55 AM   #12
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
MJFZ: Chaney Instruments 986 Digital Refrigerator Freezer Thermometer
AwwwwwMaaaannnn!
That's the neatest thing I've seen to keep tabs on the refer!
I bought it immediately.
We also bought one after that post. Got it yesterday in the mail and it's working like a charm.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
We also bought one after that post. Got it yesterday in the mail and it's working like a charm.
Do you think there will be a problem with the batteries freezing in the freezer ? Just wondering if it is a potential problem....Thanks..
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by calhyatt

Do you think there will be a problem with the batteries freezing in the freezer ? Just wondering if it is a potential problem....Thanks..
Good question. I have been using lithium batteries in the freezer and refrigerator sending units for the last year and a half without any issues. They seem to last about 5 to 6 months ad then need replacing.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold