Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2018, 08:27 PM   #1

Norcold issues

I have a Norcold 1210 in my 2014 Vantana I can not get it colder than 50 degrees . w

Works on both electric and gas just doesnt get very cold

any
Ideas

Thanks
rickdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2018, 08:54 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Is this a recent thing or has it always been warm?
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:17 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You don't mention if this is something that has just occurred or if it has been this way since new. There are any number of things that can cause it not to cool properly. Since it appears not to be confined to either gas or electric, but both, the first thing I think of is the rear fans. Are they working properly? Is the vent clear? Is it properly baffled? Also could be a problem with the thermistor in the frig unit. Everything has to be pretty much perfect for these to really work properly. Others will chime in with possibilities. You can download the Norcold Service Manual for that unit. It may be of help.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:45 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The links below follow me through the forums in RV APPLIANCE you will find this thread about NORCOLD's and problems for poor cooling under certain driving conditions and while camping for poor venting of rear of the fridge.
You should have a new Norcold so it has to do with the venting of your cooling coil unit in rear of fridge or a failed unit itself.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:54 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdw View Post
I have a Norcold 1210 in my 2014 Vantana I can not get it colder than 50 degrees . w

any Ideas

Thanks
Rickdw - There are many threads on this subject on this Board under RV Forums/RV Systems and Appliances. Just search for "Norcold" and start reading. As you've already seen you will be advised to check that it was installed correctly, with a particular focus on the two 12V fans in the chimney behind the fridge.

We have the same fridge in our 2017 Ventana, and found that if you turn the setting up to 9 (the coldest) it doesn't work very well, but if you set it to 8 it will get colder. At least now we are able to make ice in the freezer which we weren't before. Fridge temps are in the 40's which is OK but not great.

We live and RV in coastal California where the temps are generally moderate, lows in the 40's overnight in the winter and highs in the summer in the 80's at most, so not a challenging place for an RV fridge.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
As I said cooling will depend on the air flow behind the fridge could be fans or vent area is blocked in rear you need to check these items out.
The newer fridge since 2013 has been improved as I wrote up on the top of link I provided, the control should be able to be set mid way 3-4 and get good 0* freezing temps and between 32-40 in the fridge part if not you need to check the rear vent area of fridge. If fridge is on a slide that area is even more critical.
Everything is explained in link even the thermistor on your fins which should be about 1 1/4" from top.
There are instructions for testing it also in owners manual.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:13 PM   #7

Thermister that clips in the rear fins IMO.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:24 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hello rickdw,
All the previous mentioned issues could be a cause
I have the same unit. Don't have too much issue until temps hit 85-90.
It's my understanding door seals can be a problem on these also. Check those with a dollar bill. If there are areas where the bill is loose with the door closed the seal may be bad.
I added a fan system to mine mounted to the cooling fins. Did it while winterizing and putting RV to bed so haven't had a chance to see how effective that will be. Moving air inside is important and can be difficult if you have too much beer inside
Let us know what you find. Best of luck!

Cheers
Old 01-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdw View Post

any
Ideas

Thanks
I have a 2009 DADP and was experiencing the same issue which was resolved by adding this fan I lowered my temps to 39 degrees on high to 33 degrees when set to 4. The guy who developed fan setup told me that it would work and it did. It is only about a 30 minute install and it worked great.

https://smartrvproducts.com/works/

Tags
norcold