Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Norcold, Just got the bad news!

Took rv in to have the non cooling Norcold 1200 checked out !! Diagnosis was the cooloing unit had gone out .. Not a cheap fix. Weighing my options as what to do!! Just replace the cooling unit est. $2100 or buy a new unit -$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Have heard about the Amish cooling unit, but know nothing about them, so I need to research that option as well. If anyone has been through this (and i know there has to be plenty) I would appreciate any thoughts !

Thanks Dave.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Sorry to hear about your troubles but I have a 4 year old 1210 for sale that has had little use! Check out the classifieds.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #3

I have just about decided when our Norcold 1200 goes out I'll be getting the "Amish Cooling Unit" and putting it in myself. I like the idea of being able to use propane to cool when we are dry camping.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #4

The GOOD news is, now you can install a RR and sleep at night
This is just like mine
Samsung Refrigerator Install
The total cost was $1800 got the frig from Best Buy on sale $1049 and $700 for the install plus I had the inverter changed to a Magnum 2812. My Xantrex Freedom 458 would have worked just fine but I just wanted to change it out for other reasons.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav-cle View Post
Took rv in to have the non cooling Norcold 1200 checked out !! Diagnosis was the cooloing unit had gone out .. Not a cheap fix. Weighing my options as what to do!! Just replace the cooling unit est. $2100 or buy a new unit -$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Have heard about the Amish cooling unit, but know nothing about them, so I need to research that option as well. If anyone has been through this (and i know there has to be plenty) I would appreciate any thoughts !

Thanks Dave.
Hi Dave,

Our 1200LRIM died in 2012 while in WA state, we ordered one from the "Cooling Unit Warehouse" 1200LR Norcold Brand-New Cooling Unit, built by the Amish. - RV Cooling Unit Warehouse

The cost including shipping to Bellingham WA was $1,014.00. Had Andy's mobile RV repair from Bellingham install it with my help at a cost of $475.00.

It's critical that whoever does the installation it's l knows how to properly seal the unit and applies the thermoelastic paste on the cooling coils. If not sealed properly cooling efficiency will be lost.

We've had ours now for 2 years now and it's worked great with both freezer and food compartment maintains temps at the proper level with a lower thermostat setting than we used on our original Norcold unit.

Based on our experience with the Amish unit, I wouldn't hesitate an instant to recommend their product.

Best of luck and Safe travels..

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Good time to upgrade to a residential refrigerator. We were just about ready to do that on our Travel Supreme, but upgraded the entire MH to all electric. You will hear a lot about the Samsung 197 and just my opinion, but I would do that before I would have spent another penny on my NOcold.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Good time to upgrade to a residential refrigerator. We were just about ready to do that on our Travel Supreme, but upgraded the entire MH to all electric. You will hear a lot about the Samsung 197 and just my opinion, but I would do that before I would have spent another penny on my NOcold.

Excellent advice,

We would have converted to a residential unit when our 1200 bit the dust, but unfortunately, due to our furnace below the 1200 unit, all residential units we checked out width & depth OK, but all were 2 to 3" too tall to fit the enclosure and no room to modify.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Congrads on the new coach, one way to get a new frig
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav-cle View Post

Thanks Dave.
Dave, I recently went through the same issue. Wound up buying the Amish unit by Pines RV Refrigeration in Shipshewana, IN. I bought mine through RV Cooling Unit Warehouse in Memphis, TN. You can contact them online at RV Cooling Unit Warehouse. The owner is David Force. You can also reach him at 901-337-9948. My unit cost $1230 plus $428 for installation. Make sure to get new cooling fans. I had them do the installation after seeing another unit installed and decided I would never try to do it myself. If the unit is not properly installed and insulated, it will not work to your satisfaction. It's a 2 man job and it isn't easy.

I took my coach to E-Z Daze RV park in S. Haven, MS where the installer, Ron Chandler and his assistant, came to my site and removed the old unit and installed the Amish unit. They hauled the old unit off at no extra charge.

David and Ron are both straight shooters and nice folks to work with.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #10

X2. There are lots of comments about residential refrigerators but not for our style of use. No offense to those who stay connected to electric power, or have big battery banks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I have just about decided when our Norcold 1200 goes out I'll be getting the "Amish Cooling Unit" and putting it in myself. I like the idea of being able to use propane to cool when we are dry camping.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
X2. There are lots of comments about residential refrigerators but not for our style of use. No offense to those who stay connected to electric power, or have big battery banks.
Since we have plenty of solar, a PSW inverter and battery's it was a no brainer for us to go residential. I forgot what a REALLY cold beer was like.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:14 PM   #12

Dav-cle I know the problem. I am having a rebuilt amish cooling unit installed Mon. Cost $950 installed.

I had a norcold refer fire, minor damage. Norcold replaced it gratis. It was still did not cool well. Considered a residential unit, but preferred the flexibility of the absorption type.

The rebuilder and installer is in Shipshawanna IN. I am currently at Newmar picking up my resided '05 Mt Aire 4304. Looks good so far.

Al Sawyer
'05 4304 Mt Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold